ADVERTISEMENT

The B10 is “the rich sixteen” according to Washington Post

May 17, 2021

The Soon-to-be-Left-in-the-Dust Three — the reconfigured Big 12, the ACC and the Pac-10-to-be — have no realistic chance to compete. Don’t be surprised if one of the Power Two leagues tries to poach Clemson and Florida State from the ACC or goes after Oregon and Washington. The Pac-12 could be back to its original name, the Pac-6, in no time.

The Soon-to-be-Left-in-the-Dust Three — the reconfigured Big 12, the ACC and the Pac-10-to-be — have no realistic chance to compete. Don’t be surprised if one of the Power Two leagues tries to poach Clemson and Florida State from the ACC or goes after Oregon and Washington. The Pac-12 could be back to its original name, the Pac-6, in no time.
The big 10 had zero interest in fsu or clemson.
Sec - maybe.
Big 10 looking at NC and GT. Tv’s and $$$.

Article also rails on schools not realigning for student athletes, but for money only.

Fails to relate student athlete status change with NIL though. Understandably cynical tone and hot take.

USC basketball coach Andy Enfield recently signed a contract extension — helped along by Maryland’s interest in hiring him — that gave him a raise from the $3.1 million he was making, putting him in range of UCLA Coach Mick Cronin’s $4 million a year deal. UCLA football coach Chip Kelly is reportedly being paid about $4.7 million a year.
Two things can be gleaned from these numbers: The schools already have plenty of cash to throw around, and we know exactly where they will continue to devote the big bucks.
Many people have expressed shock at the UCLA-USC migration, especially now that this conference will stretch from Rutgers and Maryland on the East Coast to the L.A. schools near the Pacific Ocean. But we should be way past being shocked by anything that goes on in college athletics. About the only certainty remaining in Division I sports these days is the Ivy League. That and college administrators lying through their teeth about how much they care about their “student-athletes.”

Too bad my Dad passed away a few years ago. He referred to the Pac-10/12 as the "Pac-8" for the last 40 years of his life. If he had hung on a little longer, he might have been able to be right again some day.

Too bad my Dad passed away a few years ago. He referred to the Pac-10/12 as the "Pac-8" for the last 40 years of his life. If he had hung on a little longer, he might have been able to be right again some day.
They can rebrand when a couple others leave.

The SIX PAC!

The marketing possibilities are endless...

The article implies sec might poach the southern schools and b10 Oregon and Washington.
I travel around different boards and the two that is rumored to be looking hard at the B1G in the very near future are ND and Stanford which would bring in a national draw and the San Francisco - San Jose market. Washington - IMO - will also be in bringing in Seattle TVs. Man, I realize there are some that don't care for the B1G leadership around the conference, but those guys are smart business men.

Oregon and Washington will wait for Big Ten final answer as they 100% want to stay with USC and UCLA.
OR and WA as the final 2 would be absolutely frickin' awesome! B1G adds 4 of the best schools in the Pac-12 (after Stanford and Cal) and unequivocally the 4 best football stadiums.

Reactions: SeattleHawki
I travel around different boards and the two that is rumored to be looking hard at the B1G in the very near future are ND and Stanford which would bring in a national draw and the San Francisco - San Jose market. Washington - IMO - will also be in bringing in Seattle TVs. Man, I realize there are some that don't care for the B1G leadership around the conference, but those guys are smart business men.
Long term it still remains to be seen.

Reactions: ABernardC
I said this in another thread...right on the mark. The Big Ten wants Stanford, Washington, & Notre Dame for sure. CAL fits the academics and it's in that lucrative Northern Cal TV market, but I don't know if you need both Stanford & CAL. I think Georgia Tech would be a huge get with the Atlanta TV market and a foothold a rich recruiting area. These are very smart business men and they are putting together a juggernaut of a conference. The TV alone is going to be massive.

I said this in another thread...right on the mark. The Big Ten wants Stanford, Washington, & Notre Dame for sure. CAL fits the academics and it's in that lucrative Northern Cal TV market, but I don't know if you need both Stanford & CAL. I think Georgia Tech would be a huge get with the Atlanta TV market and a foothold a rich recruiting area. These are very smart business men and they are putting together a juggernaut of a conference. The TV alone is going to be massive.
Are cal and Stanford even big draws? They can’t even get fans in there own stadium. The next TV deal is about streaming and what teams can get the most subscribers. Markets do not matter as much now.

Going after 4 schools in one state would be idiotic

Reactions: cmhawks99
I would guess that USC and UCLA will bring all Cali TV markets, making Stanford unnecessary. I look for UW and UO to happen soon. Then one of two scenarios for the remaining Pac-12. Either most of them go to the Big 12, or they become a West Coast version of the Big 12 by adding schools like San Diego State, Boise State, etc.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Going after 4 schools in one state would be idiotic
California has the 5th largest economy in the world. California has almost 40 million people. Michigan has two Big 10 schools and it's population is less than 10 million. Illinois has two schools and it's population is 12 million. Iowa has one school and it's population is 3 million. Let me know if you want me to do the math for you...it appears you may be challenged there.

It's about TV markets and the tradition of the schools academically and athletically....and the Northern California market is the 6th largest TV market in the US. It's behind New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Dallas. It's just ahead of the Washington, DC market at number 7.

Guess what...when you lock up 6 of the 7 largest TV markets and you are negotiating a new deal with the networks...it's a really really strong negotiating position.

Please tell me how idiotic it is again.

California has the 5th largest economy in the world. California has almost 40 million people. Michigan has two Big 10 schools and it's population is less than 10 million. Illinois has two schools and it's population is 12 million. Iowa has one school and it's population is 3 million. Let me know if you want me to do the math for you...it appears you may be challenged there.

It's about TV markets and the tradition of the schools academically and athletically....and the Northern California market is the 6th largest TV market in the US. It's behind New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Dallas. It's just ahead of the Washington, DC market at number 7.

Guess what...when you lock up 6 of the 7 largest TV markets and you are negotiating a new deal with the networks...it's a really really strong negotiating position.

It'll soon be about quality just as much.
Keep adding mediocre programs is not gonna help long term.

How much longer till we're at ppv also carte style football and sports?

Jesus dude...Stanford and CAL are two of the top academic universities in the World...certainly 10 or 12 in the country. Quality, really.

These would be great additions to the B10. My guess is that Stanford would be the choice if they go that direction...but CAL is an amazing place...and it's right in the heart of the San Francisco area.

Jesus dude...Stanford and CAL are two of the top academic universities in the World...certainly 10 or 12 in the country. Quality, really.

These would be great additions to the B10. My guess is that Stanford would be the choice if they go that direction...but CAL is an amazing place...and it's right in the heart of the San Francisco area.
My guess is that 4 of these 5 will be added:

Stanford
Washington
Cal
Notre Dame
Oregon

My opinion is that adding Oregon will hinge on the Notre Dame outcome. Just my opinion so I could be wrong.

Enjoy the show as it unfolds

And that drives tv revenue how?

Reactions: amahawk

USC and UCLA are quality programs - no argument - and the other that the B1G is looking hard at is Stanford which is at the top - or close to it - of the Director's Cup standings almost every year

Stanford
Washington
Cal
Notre Dame
Oregon

My opinion is that adding Oregon will hinge on the Notre Dame outcome. Just my opinion so I could be wrong.

I think you hit it with Stanford, ND, Oregon (Nike money) and Washington. Don't see Cal getting in but what do I know ?

No one pays attention to Cal football. Sorry. We got the two diamonds.

Reactions: doughuddl2
Are cal and Stanford even big draws? They can’t even get fans in there own stadium. The next TV deal is about streaming and what teams can get the most subscribers. Markets do not matter as much now.
No they don’t matter.

PPV is exactly what they don’t want. If only the people that wanted to watch the games had to pay for them the schools would see massive drops in revenue.

they make money from all the people that don’t give a damn about sports but pay a $1 or so a month when they pay their cable, dish, stealing bill.

BTN demanded they be put on basic packages or they would not allow to be added at all.

PPV equals the downward spiral of the money train.

Reactions: bumpstock

How many people truly care about Stanford and cal football in the Bay Area? If they did they would be filling there stadiums. If you can’t draw views which neither have TV markets don’t matter. It’s about streaming. How many subscribers can Amazon, Apple, and Peacock can get. If TV markets really mattered Houston would have been in a power conference for years.

Stanford
Washington
Cal
Notre Dame
Oregon

I would throw North Carolina in this mix too.

Personally, would like to see:

nd
washington
stanford
north carolina

No they don’t matter.
And that drives tv revenue how?
I'm going to go slow here. They are huge population centers that help support the University Environment. Think about how many people not only go to school there...at CAL/Stanford for example...but they are also the largest employers in the area...plus all the businesses that support them in the area. Both have enormous alumni with huge money. That's what drives it...Silicon Valley is a stone's throw from Stanford...Apple, Google, META, Visa, Chevron...just to name a few. You know...it's really similar to Des Moines.

Last edited:
Reactions: dugrn
No one pays attention to Cal football. Sorry. We got the two diamonds.
It's not just about Football...if it was we wouldn't have gone after Maryland or Rutgers. The B10 wanted a school in the New York and Washington DC television market. It's TV revenue that will then pay the member schools over $100,000,000 a year because of the TV share ratings. You have to remember...this isn't about Stanford alumni...or the size of Stanford...its' about the population center. Do you think that the only Iowa fans are graduates of Iowa? The population center supports the schools.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see if any conferences really want Arizona, who have proven that cheating is just a normal way of life for them. Or will they promise to play nice if they're chosen. Neither of the Arizona schools feature a friendly fanbase for football games.

Reactions: cmhawks99

Stanford
Washington
Cal
Notre Dame
Oregon

This is the correct answer and I believe are the only schools really under consideration for further expansion with Washington the only sure bet with mutual love on both sides. ND is in if they want. Nothing in the South or Southeast. Same for Utah. No chance. Colorado might be in the mix but I doubt it.

Stanford
Washington
Cal
Notre Dame
Oregon

I’m with you on 4 of these. Something tells me ND might be the log jam awaiting where they are leaning to. BT needs to add at least 2 more out West and the it comes down to ND. If ND is headed to BT then Cal I think is out. It will be interesting.

How many people truly care about Stanford and cal football in the Bay Area? If they did they would be filling there stadiums. If you can’t draw views which neither have TV markets don’t matter. It’s about streaming. How many subscribers can Amazon, Apple, and Peacock can get. If TV markets really mattered Houston would have been in a power conference for years.

So CAL averaged 44,700 or something like that. In the Big Ten last year...that would have put them right behind Minnesota and the 9th highest attendance in the conference....ahead of 5 other Big Ten teams. Basically...they would be the Goophers in the Big Ten. Let me fill you in on something...you generate $100 million a year...they upgrade facilities...etc. They get more competitive. CAL football is down...but let me tell you...they are smack dab in the middle of one of the best recruiting areas of the country. I lived in the East Bay for awhile...I went to games at De La Salle High School...where they send a huge percentage of their roster to D1. It's a hot bed for College Football recruits...big time players in the Bay Area.

Big Ten​

1 Michigan​

109574.20 101.83%

2 Ohio State​

106048.00 103.63%

3 Penn State​

102774.20 96.44%

4 Nebraska​

90055.80 103.40%

5 Wisconsin​

78573.60 97.82%

6 Michigan State​