ADVERTISEMENT

The B10 is “the rich sixteen” according to Washington Post

PPV is exactly what they don’t want. If only the people that wanted to watch the games had to pay for them the schools would see massive drops in revenue.

they make money from all the people that don’t give a damn about sports but pay a $1 or so a month when they pay their cable, dish, stealing bill.

BTN demanded they be put on basic packages or they would not allow to be added at all.

PPV equals the downward spiral of the money train.
This is exactly correct, except they'll pay an additional $10.00 per month for their "Sports Package" which includes the B1G Channel - take it, or leave it!

I travel around different boards and the two that is rumored to be looking hard at the B1G in the very near future are ND and Stanford which would bring in a national draw and the San Francisco - San Jose market. Washington - IMO - will also be in bringing in Seattle TVs. Man, I realize there are some that don't care for the B1G leadership around the conference, but those guys are smart business men.
So Oklahoma already jumped to the SEC, I guess they took them because thei a brand, but what do they bring in the way of TV sets? I mean Norman Ok? Where does Ok City rank in these numbers?

This is exactly correct, except they'll pay an additional $10.00 per month for their "Sports Package" which includes the B1G Channel - take it, or leave it!
It depends. As more and more Americans are disengaged from a traditional cable package ("cord-cutters") it seems to be headed to a model where the consumer really will pay for all the entertainment they want. We aren't there yet. Still a huge amount of older folks (with money) who are not interested in having streaming only services. But in the media deal being negotiated by the Big 10, some of the players announced as being involved are Amazon and now Apple TV. Apple apparently wants back in now that UCLA and USC are involved.

I would guess (and only a guess) that in order to watch Iowa football/basketball once this new media deal is signed, the Iowa fan is going to have to pay more money than they currently do. Probably going to require subscriptions to 1 or more streaming services to get all the games. It sucks, but it's the way it is. I could be 100% wrong, and the entire inventory goes to some combination of FOX/BTN, CBS, ESPN.

Reactions: bumpstock
I’m with you on 4 of these. Something tells me ND might be the log jam awaiting where they are leaning to. BT needs to add at least 2 more out West and the it comes down to ND. If ND is headed to BT then Cal I think is out. It will be interesting.
I think ND gets to pick their partner to come in with. Then Oregon and Washington come too.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
PPV is exactly what they don’t want. If only the people that wanted to watch the games had to pay for them the schools would see massive drops in revenue.

they make money from all the people that don’t give a damn about sports but pay a $1 or so a month when they pay their cable, dish, stealing bill.

BTN demanded they be put on basic packages or they would not allow to be added at all.

PPV equals the downward spiral of the money train.
It's the way tv is heading imo. Not tomorrow but eventually

USC and UCLA are quality programs - no argument - and the other that the B1G is looking hard at is Stanford which is at the top - or close to it - of the Director's Cup standings almost every year
that's right. They are really good in sports nobody cares about much less tv. And Cal brings nothing of value in any sport.

I think the Big 10 is waiting on what Notre Dame wants to do before making decisions on other teams.

Reactions: dadster
Let the SEC have the entitled Golden Domers.
I'm okay with that, but I believe that if they join a conference, they'd prefer the B1G. I don't really care what they do, just make a decision within the next six days. B1G needs to pick up those Pac 12 leftovers (Stanford, Cal, Ore, & Wash) then add VA, NC, Duke, & Ga. Tech. 24 teams, game over, you're move SEC.

1 winning season the last 6 years!?!? 1 top 10 season in over 20 years?!?! JFC! You should probably be on the braska boards....
So, by your reasoning, Iowa St, Cincinnati and Central Florida are "higher quality football programs" than UCLA, Tennessee and Nebraska...

Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

Edit: Thank God you don't make any decisions that affect me personally.

Last edited:
So, by your reasoning, Iowa St, Cincinnati and Central Florida are "higher quality football programs" than UCLA, Tennessee and Nebraska...

Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

Edit: Thank God you don't make any decisions that affect me personally.
Wtf are you talking about moron? Where did I say this? You aren't too bright are you?

Wtf are you talking about moron? Where did I say this? You aren't too bright are you?
You used recent success as the sole measuring stick for college football program quality, so it seems to me that you think teams with more wins recently are better quality football programs than teams that have had some down years.

So educate us all - Where exactly do you "rank" UCLA as far as a college football program, and exactly which other programs are "quality programs" if UCLA is not? Exactly how many "quality programs" are there and how do you draw the line?

This should be good.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
You used recent success as the sole measuring stick for college football program quality, so it seems to me that you think teams with more wins recently are better quality football programs than teams that have had some down years.

So educate us all - Where exactly do you "rank" UCLA as far as a college football program, and exactly which other programs are "quality programs" if UCLA is not? Exactly how many "quality programs" are there and how do you draw the line?

This should be good.
ISU has ONE season ranked the last 20 years. And that was a meaningless COVID 2020 year! That is successful? Lmfao. Then you go using teams in bs confs?? get real

You're an idiot and there's no point wasting more time on you....

ISU has ONE season ranked the last 20 years. And that was a meaningless COVID 2020 year! That is successful? Lmfao. Then you go using teams in bs confs?? get real

You're an idiot and there's no point wasting more time on you....
Avoided the question/challenge. Not surprising.
Again, glad you're leaving.

Reactions: Ronman
I said this in another thread...right on the mark. The Big Ten wants Stanford, Washington, & Notre Dame for sure. CAL fits the academics and it's in that lucrative Northern Cal TV market, but I don't know if you need both Stanford & CAL. I think Georgia Tech would be a huge get with the Atlanta TV market and a foothold a rich recruiting area. These are very smart business men and they are putting together a juggernaut of a conference. The TV alone is going to be massive.
I don’t get the appeal of adding Washington to the Big 10?

California has the 5th largest economy in the world. California has almost 40 million people. Michigan has two Big 10 schools and it's population is less than 10 million. Illinois has two schools and it's population is 12 million. Iowa has one school and it's population is 3 million. Let me know if you want me to do the math for you...it appears you may be challenged there.

It's about TV markets and the tradition of the schools academically and athletically....and the Northern California market is the 6th largest TV market in the US. It's behind New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Dallas. It's just ahead of the Washington, DC market at number 7.

Guess what...when you lock up 6 of the 7 largest TV markets and you are negotiating a new deal with the networks...it's a really really strong negotiating position.

Please tell me how idiotic it is again.
However, Is California really a college football state? They have pro sports and other options to do with their nice climate. Also, with their weakening economy, high real estate & gas prices, the future population of California is likely to decline as people move away.

Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington,North Carolina . More to follow.
B1G needs more of a footprint in the South. UNC would be a boon, but Florida would be the crown jewel. They make bank in the SEC, but could potentially make more in the B1G and would be academically a better fit.

B1G needs more of a footprint in the South. UNC would be a boon, but Florida would be the crown jewel. They make bank in the SEC, but could potentially make more in the B1G and would be academically a better fit.
Agree that having a footprint in the south would be good for the Big 10. Florida is not happening. The penalties for leaving the SEC are enormous, and no way OSU or Michigan would be on board with the concessions the Big 10 would have to give to Florida to get them to come to the Big 10.

North Carolina would be good. One of the earlier reports I read said to keep an eye on TCU. That makes sense from getting the Big 10 into Texas. TCU is rungs below Texas and A&M in Texas, but Big 10 having a presence in that state would be good.

With the Big 10 getting USC and UCLA, it shows they weren't just going to sit there hope for the best with whatever the SEC does. Signaled to other schools that Big 10 is open for expansion. I would guess that the remaining Pac-12 schools of interest are gauging interest from the Big 10 first before trying to combine with the Big 12.

One of the earlier reports I read said to keep an eye on TCU. That makes sense from getting the Big 10 into Texas.
Don't know where this "earlier report" came from, but it must not have been a credible source because that is utterly ridiculous. If the B1G goes into TX it will be for Texas or aTm or both. Thinking that adding any other school would be putting a B1G "presence" in TX is asinine.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
ADVERTISEMENT