ADVERTISEMENT

The B1G continues to pursue Stanford, Cal, Oregon & Washington

From the story, some interesting points:

Amazon reportedly bid more for the Big Ten's 3:30 p.m. ET and primetime windows compared to CBS and NBC. The concerns with Amazon were likely distribution and visibility. Those same concerns would still be in play if the Big Ten accepted the 4 additional Pac-12 schools.

What happens to rest of PAC 12?

Big 12: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah

Mountain West: Oregon State and Washington State

Beginning in 2023, Big Ten schools are expected to earn an average of $75 million annually.

Industry sources value a 10-team Pac-12 at $21 million to $30 million per school annually after the loss of USC and UCLA.

They need to stop. This is stupid.
Home Depot, Lowes, Walgreens, on and on. The founding fathers had antitrust laws in the constitution. The country is ****ed. Bought off ****ing judges, politicians, are destroying the country.
The country is completely sold out by corrupt pieces of shit.
Wtf?

Last edited:
From the sounds of it, nobody really wants to add any additional Pac12 schools other than Warren. According to the article, the Presidents question the value-add, the industry sources cited in the article don’t see how this wouldn’t be dilutive, etc.

It kind of feels like Warren is riding a high from the coup of bringing in USC and he wants to continue empire building.

I’d much rather wait until we can get either ACC teams or ND, even if that’s not until 2030.

I think the best case scenario would be to add two Florida schools (FSU/Miami) to cement a presence in a large fast growing state that produces a ton of NFL talent. Then add ND and whichever partner they want (presumably Stanford).

This would probably mean two ten team divisions with Iowa,Nebraska,Minnesota, and Wisconsin forced to play the west coast division.

Those schools all make sense.

Washington brings in Seattle. Solid school.

Oregon brings in Portland and Nike. Another solid school.

Cal brings in the North bay area and academics

Stanford brings in South Bay area and academics.

No.

If you are going to expand, two makes more sense than four.

ND remains the number one target.

UNC would give us the top public school in a football rich state, and a needed opponent for Maryland, Rutgers and Penn St.

Washington is a good choice.

Oregon has a big brand today, but Phil Knight won't live forever. They are by far the weakest of these four.

Cal and Stanford are excellent schools with very few football fans. Hard pass.

Reactions: loper and amahawk
No.

If you are going to expand, two makes more sense than four.

ND remains the number one target.

UNC would give us the top public school in a football rich state, and a needed opponent for Maryland, Rutgers and Penn St.

Washington is a good choice.

Oregon has a big brand today, but Phil Knight won't live forever. They are by far the weakest of these four.

Cal and Stanford are excellent schools with very few football fans. Hard pass.

North Carolina is not a great football school and the brands of Cal and Stanford would make the Big 10 a top tier academic conference with NW and the rest including the U of Chicago. Notre Dame isn't coming anytime soon. Not while NBC keeps giving them contracts.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Home Depot, Lowes, Walgreens, on and on. The founding fathers had antitrust laws in the constitution. The country is ****ed. Bought off ****ing judges, politicians, are destroying the country.
Wtf?
Poetic Justice will prevail.

Wtf?
Out of curiosity- Where are the antitrust laws in the constitution?

North Carolina is not a great football school and the brands of Cal and Stanford would make the Big 10 a top tier academic conference with NW and the rest including the U of Chicago. Notre Dame isn't coming anytime soon. Not while NBC keeps giving them contracts.

North Carolina IS a great school and they have more football potential than Cal or Stanford going forward. The Big Ten is already a top tier academic conference. Stanford has done well the past 20 years but their time is passing. Cal has been mediocre at best for 50 years. I can't remember the last time they even made a Rose Bowl.

ND may not want to join today, but IMO it is wise to keep a seat open going forward just in case.

• Haha
Reactions: cidsports
North Carolina IS a great school and they have more football potential than Cal or Stanford going forward. The Big Ten is already a top tier academic conference. Stanford has done well the past 20 years but their time is passing. Cal has been mediocre at best for 50 years. I can't remember the last time they even made a Rose Bowl.

ND may not want to join today, but IMO it is wise to keep a seat open going forward just in case.

You have to have other western schools so they can form a Western Division. There is no way they were going to just do UCLA and USC.

You have to have other western schools so they can form a Western Division. There is no way they were going to just do UCLA and USC.

There already is a Western Division. I am pretty sure $95 million per year will cover their travel expenses.

Wtf?
You are correct. As historians have said the revolution eventually replaced King George with King Big Business and Jimmy Carter said the country is run by oligarchs and their stooge politicians.

And this leads to the bigger and better-ization of college football and everything else.

Nobody wants these schools except Kevin Warren, adding these schools would destroy the Big Ten. Kevin Warren has been a disaster as commissioner.

Well you can see the coast to coast blue print Warren wants. Ohio St and MIch and Penn St making divisional crossover trips to the west coast will be big TV.

Not really looking forward to this west coast expansion,.. I always liked the idea of a contiguous Big Ten, and travel is going to become more of a pain for the athletes..

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
From the sounds of it, nobody really wants to add any additional Pac12 schools other than Warren. According to the article, the Presidents question the value-add, the industry sources cited in the article don’t see how this wouldn’t be dilutive, etc.

It kind of feels like Warren is riding a high from the coup of bringing in USC and he wants to continue empire building.

I’d much rather wait until we can get either ACC teams or ND, even if that’s not until 2030.

I think the best case scenario would be to add two Florida schools (FSU/Miami) to cement a presence in a large fast growing state that produces a ton of NFL talent. Then add ND and whichever partner they want (presumably Stanford).
I'm sure there is some pressure from AD's due to travel concerns to get some more west coast teams. I wouldn't be surprised if the research side of the Big 10 is applying pressure as well since Stanford would be to the research dollars what Notre Dame would be to athletics. Cal isn't too shabby in that area either, although I'm not sure how that would work exactly since UCLA and Cal are technically the same school....or at least I think they are. I'm sure someone here will know more about this than I do.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Depends on how much push back they get from current members about continuing to dilute the league. Currently there appears to be little interest from the members (who all have a vote). Unless they can entice ND into the league, I doubt we'll see more teams added unless the SEC makes another move.....

I'm sure there is some pressure from AD's due to travel concerns to get some more west coast teams. I wouldn't be surprised if the research side of the Big 10 is applying pressure as well since Stanford would be to the research dollars what Notre Dame would be to athletics. Cal isn't too shabby in that area either, although I'm not sure how that would work exactly since UCLA and Cal are technically the same school....or at least I think they are. I'm sure someone here will know more about this than I do.
No one knows exactly how this is going as everyone who talks to the media folks like Dodd has an agenda.

It is true that adding Cal and Stanford add nothing to the Big 10 media rights from a value perspective, other than by being larger the Big 10 has more inventory to sell. Cal and Stanford, while both respected academically, move the needle exactly zero from a national interest standpoint. The play in adding those 2 plus Washington and Oregon is that the additional games would mean there would be inventory to sell to someone like Amazon. If Amazon is willing to overpay for those third-tier games just to get into the college FB landscape, then it might make sense.

I would agree that Big 10 should probably be more strategic at this point. But the SEC and Big 10 both seem to want to be proactive rather than reactive at this point. Both seem like they want to get to 20 teams. My personal preference would be ND and some other school to get to 20. If Big 10 goes to 20, divisions probably go away and some sort of pod structure gets set up.

I would agree with those that miss the regional nature of conferences in days gone by. But these conferences have started down the path of chasing increased revenue. That just isn't going to change, unless the entire structure of college athletics changes.

I think you only legitimately need 2 more schools from the west, and with ND being the ultimate prize at the end of all this grotesque expansion, then Stanford will have to be one of them. I say take Washington with the other. Oregon is not a good fit academically for the B1G and that’s what the Presidents will be focusing on primarily.

The final phase of expansion will come from the ACC/ND. UNC is the bigggprize outside of ND and I’m sure Duke (like Stanford with ND) will have to be part of the package.

That gets you to 21. I believe 24 schools is the final number for the conference. Who the final 3 will be is a crap shoot.

Discussion at one point linked to profit sharing of the NCAA tournament for mens/womens basketball. If the profit sharing model of this went away, then basketball would become a significant profit factory. I don't see how this would occur, but it is interesting to think about.

As per adding 'research' schools - are research dollars split equally among conference schools? Otherwise adding a big dollar research school doesn't really help the other schools.

Adding these four makes perfect sense. They are great academic institutions...and the media markets are huge...Seattle and Northern California. Two important points.

The other point is that adding CAL, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford, creates a more natural West Division and does another important thing in that it keeps historical rivalries with UCLA and USC. That's important to their fans...and is important for TV revenue. It's a smart move.

Can you imagine not playing Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Nebraska again unless it's non conference. No. Unfortunately...Washington State and the Apple Bowl, and the two Arizona schools don't move the needle with vital rivalries. Utah is left out in the cold too.

• Haha
Reactions: MVPFAN and littlez
Adding these four makes perfect sense. They are great academic institutions...and the media markets are huge...Seattle and Northern California. Two important points.

The other point is that adding CAL, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford, creates a more natural West Division and does another important thing in that it keeps historical rivalries with UCLA and USC. That's important to their fans...and is important for TV revenue. It's a smart move.

Can you imagine not playing Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Nebraska again unless it's non conference. No. Unfortunately...Washington State and the Apple Bowl, and the two Arizona schools don't move the needle with vital rivalries. Utah is left out in the cold too.

You act like the Big Ten NEEDS to add these programs to entice USC & UCLA. We already have them signed. They can do what they want in OOC games.

Save expansion slots for schools that will benefit EVERYONE in the conference (ND, UNC, Washington etc). Not just the newbies.

As per adding 'research' schools - are research dollars split equally among conference schools? Otherwise adding a big dollar research school doesn't really help the other schools.

It helps as far as improving overall research capacity. You can't take the contract if you don't have room for the project.

The days of divisions are numbered. You will have maybe 3 or 4 protected rival games and then its lotto ball them. Conference championship games will be gone when playoff expands to 12.
Yep, we’re in the endgame now. With the BIG coup of USC and UCLA. It’s going to be the BIG and SEC as the power 2 and an expanded playoff.

I hope it's Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and then Notre Dame gets off their high horse and joins. That would make a 5 team division out west, at least Stanford has had some real success... Cal would be great for academics but just not good enough in football. Probably won't happen but I'd like to see it

I think you only legitimately need 2 more schools from the west, and with ND being the ultimate prize at the end of all this grotesque expansion, then Stanford will have to be one of them. I say take Washington with the other. Oregon is not a good fit academically for the B1G and that’s what the Presidents will be focusing on primarily.

The final phase of expansion will come from the ACC/ND. UNC is the bigggprize outside of ND and I’m sure Duke (like Stanford with ND) will have to be part of the package.

That gets you to 21. I believe 24 schools is the final number for the conference. Who the final 3 will be is a crap shoot.
Rumors are oregon will take 25% share for first 5 years plus alot of nike sponsor $$$$$ for nil’s, etc.

Rumors are oregon will take 25% share for first 5 years plus alot of nike sponsor $$$$$ for nil’s, etc.
Sounds desperate.

Maybe if they make it 25% for the first 10 yrs and guarantees the his $$$ will be spread around the conference evenly. The Presidents may also want some additional guarantees regarding commitment to academics and research.

Sounds desperate.

Maybe if they make it 25% for the first 10 yrs and guarantees the his $$$ will be spread around the conference evenly. The Presidents may also want some additional guarantees regarding commitment to academics and research.
5 years is probably over a $350 mil cut which is not chump change.
Throw in free apparel for any sports teams that want it (all sports) plus nil $$$ and you can see why warren has interest.

ADVERTISEMENT