ADVERTISEMENT

The B1G continues to pursue Stanford, Cal, Oregon & Washington

Shrug - I'd think they'd be standing pat unless one of two things happens:
1) ND is ready to make the move
2) There's concern about solidifying quality additions for when ND is going to move.

ND is the big prize. Everything should center around being attractive to them while minimizing financial impact to the existing programs. If there are teams that are a must for ND to consider joining out there (Stanford comes to mind), then it might make sense to get them on board now. Regardless, I don't think you'd take 4. One or two, maybe three if you think ND joining is imminent, but you keep a seat warm for them.

You don't want to get to your final desired number only to not have a spot for ND or to make it awkward to carve out a spot for them. At some point, conferences will get big enough that the playoffs will center around pod or division championship games feeding into the cross conference playoff games. At some point, ND (and any other independents) will be left on the outside looking in.

What would really force that issue is going to 10 conference games. It provides more quality content to make the media rights even more appealing and it puts ND into a scheduling bind since home/homes with the multitude of B1G teams they regularly play becomes problematic.

If you really want to expand more, go to 10 games and add Stanford. ND would have to make a move at that point (since they'd be losing about 5 regular opponents per season) and I don't think they'd be interested in joining the SEC for academic and cultural reasons.

As per adding 'research' schools - are research dollars split equally among conference schools? Otherwise adding a big dollar research school doesn't really help the other schools.

The B1G, or any conference, doesn't share research revenue.

Research dollars are won by grant proposals written by groups of faculty members, sometimes from one institutinos, frequently from multiple institutions. Many B1G faculty members write proposals with fellow B1G faculty, but also from faculty from other institutions.

Adding schools to the B1G won't directly lead to increased research dollars, but it should increase the familiarity with faculty at the member schools, which should theoretically lead to more working together and research dollars in the long run.

The SEC has used their athletic revenues to greatly increase their academic standing. The B1G is also using theirs to solidify their top-level research. Maryland and Rutgers were strong additions on the research side.

Reactions: bozotheclown
Nobody wants these schools except Kevin Warren, adding these schools would destroy the Big Ten. Kevin Warren has been a disaster as commissioner.
I've been pretty critical of Warren, but he just negotiated a $7B media deal. Calling him a disaster is a huge stretch. You may not like the changes being made, but it's the way of the future. Sit tight and die. Evolve and prosper.

I've been pretty critical of Warren, but he just negotiated a $7B media deal. Calling him a disaster is a huge stretch. You may not like the changes being made, but it's the way of the future. Sit tight and die. Evolve and prosper.
Some of these guys just want it to be 1985 and can't understand the realities of college football in 2022. Does some of it suck? Sure. But it's where the world is. I'm pretty sure those same guys complaining about all the harm Warren and Delany have brought to the Big 10 and college football don't mind watching BTN when Iowa is on.

You act like the Big Ten NEEDS to add these programs to entice USC & UCLA. We already have them signed. They can do what they want in OOC games.

Save expansion slots for schools that will benefit EVERYONE in the conference (ND, UNC, Washington etc). Not just the newbies.
I don't believe the B10 NEEDS to add anyone at this point. If you follow the logic though, where has the B10 added teams recently and why?. Rutgers. Why? TV market in NY. Maryland. Why? TV market in DC. UCLA and USC...why? TV market in Los Angeles plus brand recognition.

What are the next largest TV markets the B10 isn't already in?
Dallas, TX
San Francisco Bay Area
Atlanta
Houston
Seattle

If you add Washington, Stanford, Oregon and Cal you pick up two of the next five largest TV markets and maintain some traditional rivalries with USC and UCLA. I threw Oregon in there because it is also a big part of the Seattle viewership.

Listen...I think ND is a gem, but I honestly don't want ND in the B10. It's like adding Nebraska in my view...only 10 times worse. At least ND has been relevant in football the last ten years...but ND comes with the Princess in the Tower mentality. They will demand to be the center of attention and receive special treatment...the B10 Network will become all about ND and they will be inundated with complaints about not showing enough ND content.

I don't believe the B10 NEEDS to add anyone at this point. If you follow the logic though, where has the B10 added teams recently and why?. Rutgers. Why? TV market in NY. Maryland. Why? TV market in DC. UCLA and USC...why? TV market in Los Angeles plus brand recognition.

What are the next largest TV markets the B10 isn't already in?
Dallas, TX
San Francisco Bay Area
Atlanta
Houston
Seattle

If you add Washington, Stanford, Oregon and Cal you pick up two of the next five largest TV markets and maintain some traditional rivalries with USC and UCLA. I threw Oregon in there because it is also a big part of the Seattle viewership.

Listen...I think ND is a gem, but I honestly don't want ND in the B10. It's like adding Nebraska in my view...only 10 times worse. At least ND has been relevant in football the last ten years...but ND comes with the Princess in the Tower mentality. They will demand to be the center of attention and receive special treatment...the B10 Network will become all about ND and they will be inundated with complaints about not showing enough ND content.
I'd think that equally important to adding Bay Area and Seattle markets is giving USC and UCLA a few more conference games that don't annihilate travel budgets.

Of those schools. Washington makes the most sense. It's increases the academic reputation of the Big Ten. It would be top 3 academically within the Big Ten. It adds a large TV market. They actually have fans. Stanford and Cal are top notch academically but no one goes to games and no one cares. Oregon is basically Nike.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Shrug - I'd think they'd be standing pat unless one of two things happens:
1) ND is ready to make the move
2) There's concern about solidifying quality additions for when ND is going to move.

ND is the big prize. Everything should center around being attractive to them while minimizing financial impact to the existing programs. If there are teams that are a must for ND to consider joining out there (Stanford comes to mind), then it might make sense to get them on board now. Regardless, I don't think you'd take 4. One or two, maybe three if you think ND joining is imminent, but you keep a seat warm for them.

You don't want to get to your final desired number only to not have a spot for ND or to make it awkward to carve out a spot for them. At some point, conferences will get big enough that the playoffs will center around pod or division championship games feeding into the cross conference playoff games. At some point, ND (and any other independents) will be left on the outside looking in.

What would really force that issue is going to 10 conference games. It provides more quality content to make the media rights even more appealing and it puts ND into a scheduling bind since home/homes with the multitude of B1G teams they regularly play becomes problematic.

If you really want to expand more, go to 10 games and add Stanford. ND would have to make a move at that point (since they'd be losing about 5 regular opponents per season) and I don't think they'd be interested in joining the SEC for academic and cultural reasons.
The heck with Notre Dame. They have been coddled and given preferential treatment far too long.

They will never give up being independent….unless they are told only members of a conference will be eligible for the playoffs….and I doubt that will ever happen. There will be an exception made for them.

I know the ACC can't lose schools right now, but can they add schools? I know there are assumptions the Big 12 gobbles up remnants, but could ACC gobble up some Big 12 / Pac 12 teams? To try to stay relevant the next 10 years and not fall down as far.

I know the ACC can't lose schools right now, but can they add schools? I know there are assumptions the Big 12 gobbles up remnants, but could ACC gobble up some Big 12 / Pac 12 teams? To try to stay relevant the next 10 years and not fall down as far.
Not with their crappy TV deal that doesn't end until 2036.

Of those schools. Washington makes the most sense. It's increases the academic reputation of the Big Ten. It would be top 3 academically within the Big Ten. It adds a large TV market. They actually have fans. Stanford and Cal are top notch academically but no one goes to games and no one cares. Oregon is basically Nike.
Certainly the past few years, CALs attendance has dropped, same with Stanford. Prior to the pandemic they were drawing close to 45k a year...which put them on par with Minnesota at #9 in the Big Ten. I think the pandemic changed the attendance figures in California as it's so risk averse to Covid...but hopefully things get better for them and I'm sure it will.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Warren has been a clown since day 1 on the job. Yuck to those schools.
I know..right...he's only managed to negotiate the largest TV contract in the country for his conference and pick up the two most iconic brands (USC and UCLA) in the second largest TV market in the country. The B10 schools are only going to get a $100 million a year and likely only $10 to $20 million more if he adds more schools...what a clown...can't believe this guy has a job.

For reference:

SARCASM: the use of remarks that clearly mean the opposite of what they say, made in order to hurt someone's feelings or to criticize something in a humorous way.

You have to have other western schools so they can form a Western Division. There is no way they were going to just do UCLA and USC.
Then we never should have added USC and UCLA to begin with, if it required adding more schools that would actually water the conference down. That needed to be a consideration upfront.

I'd think that equally important to adding Bay Area and Seattle markets is giving USC and UCLA a few more conference games that don't annihilate travel budgets.
The travel budget thing is overrated.
Take a look at iowas tennis, golf , track, etc schedules currently.

I know..right...he's only managed to negotiate the largest TV contract in the country for his conference and pick up the two most iconic brands (USC and UCLA) in the second largest TV market in the country. The B10 schools are only going to get a $100 million a year and likely only $10 to $20 million more if he adds more schools...what a clown...can't believe this guy has a job.

For reference:

SARCASM: the use of remarks that clearly mean the opposite of what they say, made in order to hurt someone's feelings or to criticize something in a humorous way.
Love it!

The heck with Notre Dame. They have been coddled and given preferential treatment far too long.

They will never give up being independent….unless they are told only members of a conference will be eligible for the playoffs….and I doubt that will ever happen. There will be an exception made for them.
I agree with your sentiment, but in reality I honestly believe the day is coming where "you will have to be in one of the super conferences in order to secure a spot in the playoffs" and their hand will be forced.

That is why one of the final slots will most likely be handed to Stanford. By adding them, along with USC and the existing schools like UM-MSU-NW-PU will make it a no-brainer for ND to join the conference.

I agree with your sentiment, but in reality I honestly believe the day is coming where "you will have to be in one of the super conferences in order to secure a spot in the playoffs" and their hand will be forced.

That is why one of the final slots will most likely be handed to Stanford. By adding them, along with USC and the existing schools like UM-MSU-NW-PU will make it a no-brainer for ND to join the conference.
Big Ten presidents would love to have Stanford in.

You act like the Big Ten NEEDS to add these programs to entice USC & UCLA. We already have them signed. They can do what they want in OOC games.

Save expansion slots for schools that will benefit EVERYONE in the conference (ND, UNC, Washington etc). Not just the newbies.
I wonder though if some promises were made to UCLA and USC, that the Big would do their due diligence in trying to add more PAC 12.

Warren handling of covid was a disaster.
He has done a decent job since then.
This.

Adding USC and UCLA is a great move. He handled that situation well IMO. Sitting around and doing nothing while the SEC gets stronger and eventually expands further with top schools from the ACC would relegate the B1G to secondary status.

Reactions: littlez

Problem is their TV deal sucks and doesn't include specific language about automatic increases if the conference adds. No one is going there under those circumstances.

This.

Adding USC and UCLA is a great move. He handled that situation well IMO. Sitting around and doing nothing while the SEC gets stronger and eventually expands further with top schools from the ACC would relegate the B1G to secondary status.
It was a no brainer but keeping it quiet was amazing on both sides.
The ucla ad was the true driver and brains of the deal.

Problem is their TV deal sucks and doesn't include specific language about automatic increases if the conference adds. No one is going there under those circumstances.
i can't imagine the ACC gobbling up anyone right now with that shitty media deal in place. I'd think their only hope is joining forces in some kind of partnership with Big 12 or PAC, which could render the existing GoR moot.

Warren handling of covid was a disaster.
Warren represented 14 university presidents/chancellors in 2020 and they determined what happened... still, the big ten had a team in the cfp championship that year so even if you didn't like how it went you're being a little dramatic or don't fully grasp what the word disaster means. Especially considering where the conference is 2 short years later

Sounds desperate.

Maybe if they make it 25% for the first 10 yrs and guarantees the his $$$ will be spread around the conference evenly. The Presidents may also want some additional guarantees regarding commitment to academics and research.
It is desperation. He's smart enough to know that Pac 12 housing market is crashing, interest rates are soring, and his big green house needs a cash buyer NOW.

A sixty cents on the dollar loan looks pretty good when you're facing foreclosure. In a decade, they might get back to even money.

Sorry, I didn't bother reading through all this, but I guarantee you that the B1G is not "pursuing" any Pac-12 school. That would imply that there is a courtship period going on to convince said school(s) to make the move. The millisecond that the B1G invites another Pac-12 school to apply/join, they will be new members.

Warren represented 14 university presidents/chancellors in 2020 and they determined what happened... still, the big ten had a team in the cfp championship that year so even if you didn't like how it went you're being a little dramatic or don't fully grasp what the word disaster means. Especially considering where the conference is 2 short years later
Acc and sec took a much better and smarter approach. Him and the pac 10 guy had a crappy plan the presidents went with.

that is not correct.

Warren, during the covid meetings and on what to do with the football season, actually represented the 14 Athletic Directors and 14 head coaches, who all wanted to have a wait and see approach. None of these 28 individuals wanted to rush into the decision of canceling the football season. Yet, that is exactly what happened; the B1G was the first to cancel the football season and Warren, for some reason, assumed the other Power 5 conferences would follow his lead. Instead, the SEC, ACC and Big 12 commissioners correctly took that wait and see approach.

Bottom line is this: Warren did a horrible job representing the 14 Athletic Directors' and 14 head coaches' wishes when he had meetings with the 14 B1G university presidents/chancellors. A good leader would have known that a rush to cancel the football season was not the correct decision and would have made sure it never happened. But it did, and the B1G was the laughing stock of college football.

Also, when Warren canceled the 2020 football season, he said the decision was final. What a joke that statement was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT