ADVERTISEMENT

The Best Place in Iowa City to find a....

Sorry to hear that A. If your taste is for Casey"s or Pizza Hut, then you definitely would not be a Red Vespa fan. Not sure how you think it was too much crust when it is very thin. I guess you probably didn't understand the char it had on the edges and underneath. It is cooked in a 900 degree wood fired oven in 60-90 seconds.. Glad I didn't recommend an Italian restaurant.
Yeah…. I wouldn’t even point them toward little Italy in IC and make them pick some spot at rando after that.

Happy Joes was always kind of it's own thing to me. So much of there pie at least that I grew up eating is different than any other place especially the BLT and Taco. They are pretty expensive imo unless you hit a good special.

Happy Joes was always kind of it's own thing to me. So much of there pie at least that I grew up eating is different than any other place especially the BLT and Taco. They are pretty expensive imo unless you hit a good special.
You get what you pay for, I guess

Sorry to hear that A. If your taste is for Casey"s or Pizza Hut, then you definitely would not be a Red Vespa fan. Not sure how you think it was too much crust when it is very thin. I guess you probably didn't understand the char it had on the edges and underneath. It is cooked in a 900 degree wood fired oven in 60-90 seconds.. Glad I didn't recommend an Italian restaurant.
No worries i appreciate the suggestions. My taste is normally for any pizza. I just listed the ones around us but rarely find a pizza I don't love.
When I say crust, I mean the whole pizza tasted like bland crust. It was like the Body of Christ offerings at church. That was just our experience. The leftovers ended in the garbage which never happens but it just wasn't any good. I can be picky but my wife normally isn't. I can't think of a time she's not liked anything we've ordered. It was a neat place though and she enjoyed her glass of wine.

No worries i appreciate the suggestions. My taste is normally for any pizza. I just listed the ones around us but rarely find a pizza I don't love.
When I say crust, I mean the whole pizza tasted like bland crust. It was like the Body of Christ offerings at church. That was just our experience. The leftovers ended in the garbage which never happens but it just wasn't any good. I can be picky but my wife normally isn't. I can't think of a time she's not liked anything we've ordered. It was a neat place though and she enjoyed her glass of wine.
This crust thing has me baffled. True Neopolitan pizza dough consists of "00" flour, water, sea salt and yeast. It's not supposed to be anything else. I get it if you prefer cheese stuffed crust, cauliflower crust or any "who knows what" is put in some crusts. I just thought you wanted good authentic pizza. My fault for not asking your taste preference before recommending. Lesson is... everyone's taste is different. Enjoy Tombstone or Pizza Hut if that's what you like.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
This crust thing has me baffled. True Neopolitan pizza dough consists of "00" flour, water, sea salt and yeast. It's not supposed to be anything else. I get it if you prefer cheese stuffed crust, cauliflower crust or any "who knows what" is put in some crusts. I just thought you wanted good authentic pizza. My fault for not asking your taste preference before recommending. Lesson is... everyone's taste is different. Enjoy Tombstone or Pizza Hut if that's what you like.
The whole pizza tasted like bland crust? Are we sure he ain’t got the Covid, bruh?

I don't like any crust on any pizza. However, I do like all kinds of pizza normally. I can only think of 1 other time in my life I had pizza that I didn't like.
You keep running with Tombstone etc like it's my go to brand or something. I just said I like tombstone better than what I had Saturday night. I also said I'm sure others love their pizza, and I thanked you for the suggestion. It's really no big deal. I've just never had a tasteless pizza. I rarely would get a stuffed crust pizza and my wife isn't a picky eater and she hated the pizza. She normally never uses parmesan cheese and she was smothering it in it.

It's really no big deal. I just posted my experience and thanked you for the suggestion. I'm glad we tried it. I'm not going to google review them or anything. Obviously it wasn't for us.
My experience shouldn't keep anyone else from trying it. It also shouldn't keep you from posting more suggestions. We are glad we tried it. Thanks again for the suggestion. We had nothing to do Saturday night.

I don't like any crust on any pizza. However, I do like all kinds of pizza normally. I can only think of 1 other time in my life I had pizza that I didn't like.
You keep running with Tombstone etc like it's my go to brand or something. I just said I like tombstone better than what I had Saturday night. I also said I'm sure others love their pizza, and I thanked you for the suggestion. It's really no big deal. I've just never had a tasteless pizza. I rarely would get a stuffed crust pizza and my wife isn't a picky eater and she hated the pizza. She normally never uses parmesan cheese and she was smothering it in it.

It's really no big deal. I just posted my experience and thanked you for the suggestion. I'm glad we tried it. I'm not going to google review them or anything. Obviously it wasn't for us.
My experience shouldn't keep anyone else from trying it. It also shouldn't keep you from posting more suggestions. We are glad we tried it. Thanks again for the suggestion. We had nothing to do Saturday night.
Well, I'm glad you at least tried it and formed an opinion. Curious, do you live in Iowa?

Enough about frozen and convenience store pizza, back to food in Iowa City. Who has the best pork tenderloins in Johnson County? I've had the ones at Shakespeare's on the East Side of Iowa City, and I thought they were very good.

Enough about frozen and convenience store pizza, back to food in Iowa City. Who has the best pork tenderloins in Johnson County? I've had the ones at Shakespeare's on the East Side of Iowa City, and I thought they were very good.
Thanks for getting this thread back on track. I really miss pork tenderloins.

New Iowa Athletic Club has a great thin crust. It is connected to the Coralville arena.

Georges is a great burger if you like a simple burger. If you want something smothered with a bunch crap on top then go to Shorts. I’ll take a simple burger over that any day.

Reactions: Inthecircle
I got nada. Maybe there's a wine & weed trail out there. That would draw some visitors.
We have world class Pinot Noir growing in these coastal hills. Pretty good flowers, too. But I’m jonesing for a fried pork tenderloin sandwich at present.

We have world class Pinot Noir growing in these coastal hills. Pretty good flowers, too. But I’m jonesing for a fried pork tenderloin sandwich at present.
I'm hungry for one of those myself. Can't get them here in Mass., so I have to fry up my own.

Well, I'm glad you at least tried it and formed an opinion. Curious, do you live in Iowa?
Yes born and raised.

Tenderloins are normally my go to.
Best tenderloin I have had is Stouts in Clinton, Ia. It's worth calling in and grabbing one if you are every driving through the area. I make awesome tenderloins and Stouts are the only one's I've had that keep pace.

Yes born and raised.

Tenderloins are normally my go to.
Best tenderloin I have had is Stouts in Clinton, Ia. It's worth calling in and grabbing one if you are every driving through the area. I make awesome tenderloins and Stouts are the only one's I've had that keep pace.
We’ll take a visit to AJs Bar and Grill in Mt. Sterling(population 17) in April and I got a dollar to a donut that says you’ll change your tune. ; )

Let me tell you a secret: The best tenderloin in Iowa is the one that comes from the Farmington meat locker. They sell them frozen, vacuum sealed and you pan fry it yourself at home. Beats any restaurant tenderloin I've ever had, even from so-called "Best Tenderloin in the State" places like Butch's River Rock Cafe in Oakland Mills.

Let me tell you a secret: The best tenderloin in Iowa is the one that comes from the Farmington meat locker. They sell them frozen, vacuum sealed and you pan fry it yourself at home. Beats any restaurant tenderloin I've ever had, even from so-called "Best Tenderloin in the State" places like Butch's River Rock Cafe in Oakland Mills.
Will they mail?

Reactions: grapplefann
As far as Johnson county goes, I will give a shout out to Baxa's Sutliff Tavern right along the Cedar River south of Lisbon and east of Solon. The Tenderloins come from big to huge.

Reactions: el dub and acuhawk
That’s where we store our frozen fish for the week leading up to fish fry Friday(and morels if mom nature is cooperating) at Turkey camp at Indian Lake. We occasionally take boned venison there for their summer sausage also. Beautiful cuts of steaks too! It’s roughly 15 miles from AJs. Ever eaten a Bridge Builder by chance??

Last edited:
As far as Johnson county goes, I will give a shout out to Baxa's Sutliff Tavern right along the Cedar River south of Lisbon and east of Solon. The Tenderloins come from big to huge.
I ate there once and it was really good. Got a pizza burger or something though. Will definitely try their tenderloin as my son lives about 10 minutes from there.

That’s where we store our frozen fish for the Friday fish fry at Turkey camp at Indian Lake. We occasionally take boned venison there for their summer sausage also. Beautiful cuts of steaks too! It’s roughly 15 miles from AJs. Ever eaten a Bridge Builder by chance??
Never been to AJ's. We're more to the northeast, New London area. I'll keep it in mind for our next jaunt. Love to try places like that. We usually end up at Mt. Hamill when we head that direction.

Reactions: Gobblin and acuhawk
I ate there once and it was really good. Got a pizza burger or something though. Will definitely try their tenderloin as my son lives about 10 minutes from there.
I haven’t had a pizza burger in like, forever…

ADVERTISEMENT