ADVERTISEMENT

The Big 12 should be the next to expand

Crazy people think competitiveness and regional and tradition mean anything anymore.

in a market with a crap ton of TV sets? You can become a player. Otherwise you better be like Iowa and already in a good conference.
It was great being at the big dances a century ago. Thanks to those who came before.

Looks like the B12 blew it by rushing to add those 4 G5 nobody programs so quickly. If they would have held steady for a year, they would now be in the position of merging their remaining 8 schools with the remaining 8(?) Pac 10 schools. That actually would be a decentish 2 division conference.

Reactions: GoUIowa
As much as I like the idea of Nub bolting from the Big Ten....you really think they'd consider leaving the wealthiest and most influential conference in the country to rekindle a few old Big 8/12 rivalries on a sinking ship? .GMAFB.
I think the dumb Husker fans would. They have had zero fortune in the Big Ten.

Looks like the B12 blew it by rushing to add those 4 G5 nobody programs so quickly. If they would have held steady for a year, they would now be in the position of merging their remaining 8 schools with the remaining 8(?) Pac 10 schools. That actually would be a decentish 2 division conference.
I agree that the league would be in a better position to attract Pac-12 schools, but that's hindsight. At the time, it was imperative to expand and the four they added were the best available.

I would imagine that some OU and UT fans are having second thoughts about going to the SEC. If they had stayed in the Big XII, a really strong argument could have been made at this point to add the Arizona schools, at a minimum. Texas, which has lost the last three football games to ISU, can't be excited about replacing the Cyclones on the schedule with Alabama.

Hell, I don't even know how locked-in-stone the changes that have been announced really are.

I agree with those posters who believe that the PAC12 is in much better position to call the shots and attract B12 schools to their conference rather than vice-versa.

Overall, the remaining PAC schools are clearly superior in academics. With a couple of exceptions, the remainiing PAC schools have substantially larger fan bases and resources, bigger markets, and least equal or better history of success across all sports.

The schools you mentioned (Colorado, Utah, ASU, Arizona) are likely trying to get into the Big Ten. Those 4 schools are not likely to keep Big 12 as a power conference. Things are shaping up to be 2 super conferences of 20-24 teams, the Big 10 and SEC.
Lets do 20 for the big10x2 conf

I agree with those posters who believe that the PAC12 is in much better position to call the shots and attract B12 schools to their conference rather than vice-versa.

Overall, the remaining PAC schools are clearly superior in academics. With a couple of exceptions, the remainiing PAC schools have substantially larger fan bases and resources, bigger markets, and least equal or better history of success across all sports.
I don't disagree with anything you wrote -- which included the qualifiers "overall" and "with a couple of exceptions" -- but the thing that works both ways, at least in my mind, is the geographic and cultural distance between the West Coast schools and the rest of the world....including BiG territory. The idea of UCLA and USC being in the Big Ten is as foreign to me as the idea of Iowa and Minnesota being in the Pac-12. It just ain't right.

Of course, I remember when Idaho was in the Pac, so change comes slowly to LC sometimes.

The Big12 is in no position of power.

I could see a couple Texas schools applying to PAC12.

ADVERTISEMENT