ADVERTISEMENT

The BIG Story: The Brands Brothers

I was near Sheldon last summer with some friends and we hit up Brady’s Pub for dinner. Their burgers were rumored to be among the best in the state, and they didn’t disappoint! Something surprising that happened though, I asked our waitress if the Brands brothers ever stop in for dinner or a beer….she had no idea who I was talking about. Neither did one of her coworkers.

I was near Sheldon last summer with some friends and we hit up Brady’s Pub for dinner. Their burgers were rumored to be among the best in the state, and they didn’t disappoint! Something surprising that happened though, I asked our waitress if the Brands brothers ever stop in for dinner or a beer….she had no idea who I was talking about. Neither did one of her coworkers.

I think I remember them (in the doc) saying they hadn’t been up there for years since their Mom moved down close to them.

Show was great with some fun and emotional moments. Wish there were some more interviews with former teammates especially to detail just how they became what they did at the college level. Some more with wrestlers they've coached and developed would have been fun too. Maybe they'll put more of that in part 2 :).

Also, neither of the Brands touch alcohol.

Good stuff. I really like their dad! You can see where the don't back down, fight for your guys mentality came from. Tom and Terry are great for the sport of wrestling.
Could not agree more - especially the part where someone was "mouthing off" after one of his adult sons lost a wrestling match so he punched the guy and is now bragging about 30 years later. I've never understood why today's society doesn't recognize assault as an acceptable form of disagreement.

Could not agree more - especially the part where someone was "mouthing off" after one of his adult sons lost a wrestling match so he punched the guy and is now bragging about 30 years later. I've never understood why today's society doesn't recognize assault as an acceptable form of disagreement.
I am 32 years old (which makes me a millennial for those counting) and I have a firm belief that if more people were punched in the face for running their mouths, society as a whole would be far better off. Actions have consequences and in the age of internet bullying and piling on sometimes people's actions are far too disassociated from the potential consequences.

If someone talks shit directly about your son what is your response going to be? "Please stop, my feelings are hurt! I need my therapist!"

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. It often straightens people up and makes them check themselves for good reason. We need more of it imo.

That or assault - the only two choices. What a towering intellect.
The intelligent thing to do would be to never bad mouth someone else's kid like that. It's game on once the verbal assault happens.

They did it because they were in a public place with the "protection" of people around thinking nothing would happen. It didn't workout for him in this case. I'm glad for that.

The lesson here is to not put yourself in the position to eat a punch like that to begin with. Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Let Pops Brands keep his story. I am sure my Dad would've done the same in a similar circumstance. Times are different now.

Besides, I figured it couldn't have been that great a punch. It'd be hard to have good form standing in a narrow row of an arena. Also, if the mouthing off guy was behind him and of any height, then Pops Brands would likely have be punching upward a bit. Not the best leverage.

The intelligent thing to do would be to never bad mouth someone else's kid like that. It's game on once the verbal assault happens.

They did it because they were in a public place with the "protection" of people around thinking nothing would happen. It didn't workout for him in this case. I'm glad for that.

The lesson here is to not put yourself in the position to eat a punch like that to begin with. Check yourself before you wreck yourself.
I 100% agree with you. There are so many people who run their mouths because they "feel safe" in a public setting. Most of these cowards need/deserve to be put on their ass.

Probably college kids working there who have no clue what wrestling is let alone the Brands Brothers.

Probably college kids working there who have no clue what wrestling is let alone the Brands Brothers.
No probably just typical liberal Sheldon-ites and their hatred for the toxic masculinity that wrestling promotes.

I am 32 years old (which makes me a millennial for those counting) and I have a firm belief that if more people were punched in the face for running their mouths, society as a whole would be far better off. Actions have consequences and in the age of internet bullying and piling on sometimes people's actions are far too disassociated from the potential consequences.

And bonus points if the guy who gets decked recognizes the error in his ways, and the guy who threw the punch subsequently offers to buy him a beer.

ADVERTISEMENT