ADVERTISEMENT

The Big Ten Tournament Doesn't Matter

Nice OP. I saw Mike Gesell downtown today holding a 2 year old watching the gentleman playing music on Washington street along with some other people and it put a smile on my face knowing that nobody is a big enough douchebag to say anything in real life like these whiny crybaby posters do on here.

Grow the f* up.

Tampa-

2222 does his own thing. I don't think anyone associates with him and vice versa. It's for the best....

Hawkeyestate-

Notice how you exaggerate in your post about how people against the negative posters sound....just sayin

Originally posted by Ree4:
Nice OP. I saw Mike Gesell downtown today holding a 2 year old watching the gentleman playing music on Washington street along with some other people and it put a smile on my face knowing that nobody is a big enough douchebag to say anything in real life like these whiny crybaby posters do on here.

Grow the f* up.
I rest my case.

That's all this board seems to be about.. 24/7 civil war.

Anyway, I have a weekend to get on with. Peace out.

Whenever you undertake a task, it always matters whether you succeed or not.

If it doesn't, why try it?

Originally posted by markfromj:

...but you haven't. The Iowa basketball team has. And they've succeeded magnificently. One game doesn't change that. If it's perfection you crave, perhaps following athletics isn't for you. You're running a fool's errand.

Originally posted by wondergrape:

...but you haven't. The Iowa basketball team has. And they've succeeded magnificently. One game doesn't change that. If it's perfection you crave, perhaps following athletics isn't for you. You're running a fool's errand.
So,you're saying it didn't matter to the team? If so,how would you know that?

Originally posted by rillo 62:

So,you're saying it didn't matter to the team? If so,how would you know that?

No. How would I know how the team feels?

Originally posted by Ree4:

Grow the f* up.
lol

Yes, I agree. This has been a good year. I was only pushing back on "the BTT doesn't matter". Of course it does. So did the game against Longwood. So does the way you did your job today and the way I did mine.

Degree of mattering varies, of course, but no task "does not matter". Again, if it "does not matter", why do it?

Yes, I agree. This has been a good year. I was only pushing back on "the BTT doesn't matter". Of course it does. So did the game against Longwood. So does the way you did your job today and the way I did mine.

Degree of mattering varies, of course, but no task "does not matter". Again, if it "does not matter", why do it?
Oh, gotcha. Situational hyperbole. Something tells me you're smart enough to know what I meant.

Originally posted by QChawks:
Loser mentality
I guarantee you won't care about this loss if we win the first round game. The NCAA is the only thing that matters.
Question: How will you feel if we lose our first round game?

Originally posted by HRiscool:

Loser mentality
I guarantee you won't care about this loss if we win the first round game. The NCAA is the only thing that matters.
Bummed, but I won't blame it on the Penn State loss, and I won't have any problem looking back at this season fondly.

Loser mentality
Bummed, but I won't blame it on the Penn State loss, and I won't have any problem looking back at this season fondly.
Oh, okay. I thought maybe you were gonna take the high road and admit maybe doing better in the BTT could've helped us avoid the loss.

its just a game by student athletes, not professional Athletes like MJ, Lebron or Kobe. nor is it like or death like it is in Iraq or in the Ukraine, where people are dying eith by Beheading or bombs.

this is not the Roman gladiator stadium where the loser is KILLED in the end.

Oh, okay. I thought maybe you were gonna take the high road and admit maybe doing better in the BTT could've helped us avoid the loss.
You're being glib, and I know you think you're right, but we have no idea who we're playing. How could I say with any degree of certainty that beating Penn State would have been good without knowing who we are playing and who we would have been playing. The fact of the matter is that we will be playing a top 40 team in the first round and a top ten team in the second round. Beating Penn State wouldn't have changed that. The tournament is all about match ups and the difference between a 7, 8, or 9 seed is pretty insignificant. And don't throw the Kentucky argument at me. The fact is that we would have been a huge underdogin round two regardless of what happened on Thursday, barring a BTT final run.

"This has been one of the most impressive, fun seasons in Iowa history."

Either you're young or you don't follow Iowa basketball closely. This has been a decent season but far from, "one of the most impressive and fun in Iowa history"
grin.r191677.gif

You're being glib, and I know you think you're right, but we have no idea who we're playing. How could I say with any degree of certainty that beating Penn State would have been good without knowing who we are playing and who we would have been playing. The fact of the matter is that we will be playing a top 40 team in the first round and a top ten team in the second round. Beating Penn State wouldn't have changed that. The tournament is all about match ups and the difference between a 7, 8, or 9 seed is pretty insignificant. And don't throw the Kentucky argument at me. The fact is that we would have been a huge underdogin round two regardless of what happened on Thursday, barring a BTT final run.
Hmmmm, well, I think most of us got the impression you started this thread to say the BTT doesn't matter and the NCAAs do. Then when I presented the hypothetical that we tank in the NCAAs you reply with (paraphrasing) "It doesn't matter because we are still awesome and the season was a success."

So apparently what you meant to say was that the BTT is insignificant as are the NCAAs. In fact if we somehow got stuck in the NIT, this season would still be a success because all that matters is what happens prior to the post-season.

calvin_and_hobbes.jpg

Bo Ryan's statement only means that it is important to Bo Ryan or that he wants his to team to stay focused in the moment. Which was the last Big Ten Team to win The Conference Tournament and then win the NCAA Tourney? Michigan State, in 2000. Since that time only two big ten tourney champs have advanced to the Final Four. The illini in 2005 and Ohio State in 2007. A Big Ten Tournament Championship has not carried a lot of weight going forward in the NCAAs historically.
This post was edited on 3/13 8:18 PM by oldman101

Originally posted by TampaHawkfan:

Originally posted by eddie4star:

Originally posted by hawkeye ball:
We are 21-11, 12-6. This has been one of the most impressive, fun seasons in Iowa history. We will be a 7 or 8 seed in the tournament.

What happened yesterday doesn't take any of that away, and I think it's bizarre that so many people have been so affected by losing to Penn State. It is a mere ripple in an ocean of goodness.

I would rather win one game in the NCAA tournament than three in the Big Ten. The BTT is insignificant and we will forget all about it by April.

I'm just looking forward to the games that matter so that people can get over this myopia contagion.
Heres the thing...if we would have won 2-3 BTT games, it would have helped our NCAA seeding. Now, since we lost early, we will probably be an 8-9 seed. This means if we win our first round game, we will get a 1 seed. I would like to see the Hawks go deep but if we lose to a 1 seed like Kentucky or something, I wouldn't feel to bad. Going out to a team like Kentucky would not be too bad as long as we kept it somewhat respectable. I think the Hawks could stay within 15 of Kentucky.
smokin.r191677.gif
A few weeks ago dumbasses like you didn't even think we would make the tournament. Now you idiots think we should win the Big Ten lol. Priceless
If acknowledging that the BTT matters in terms of seeding, momentum, etc. makes me an "idiot", then I'm glad to be an idiot. That means we think we should have won the conference? LOL. Now THAT is priceless.

"Hawkeye Ball's" post was spot on - doing well in the BTT would've definitely helped our seed, and hence our NCAA tournament position, but guess that went over your head. I'm not sure Hawkeye Ball is the dumbass here.
This post was edited on 3/13 3:37 PM by TampaHawkfan
Oh so you morons wanted to tell us that doing well in the BTT would have helped our seed. Thanks for the groundbreaking insight dumbass. This team won 12 games in the Big Ten. 3 weeks ago you morons thought we wouldn't even get into the tournament so why are you shocked we lost to a tough team in the tourney?

You negative pussies wouldn't catch a bunch of slack if you posted just as much after wins. Instead you bitches hide out just waiting for a loss so you can get online and start crying. PRICELESS

Loser mentality
Losing might give us an easier match up in the first round. Or it might give us a tougher match up. Nobody knows until the brackets come out. Lets hope we aren't paired with a physical team or we have competent officials.

Originally posted by oldman101:
Bo Ryan's statement only means that it is important to Bo Ryan or that he wants his to team to stay focused in the moment. Which was the last Big Ten Team to win The Conference Tournament and then win the NCAA Tourney?
I'm pretty sure you just implied that it's a BAD thing to win the BTT. And that we dodged that bullet on our way to winning an NCAA title.

Bo Ryan's statement only means that it is important to Bo Ryan or that he wants his to team to stay focused in the moment. Which was the last Big Ten Team to win The Conference Tournament and then win the NCAA Tourney? Michigan State, in 2000. Since that time only two big ten tourney champs have advanced to the Final Four. The illini in 2005 and Ohio State in 2007. A Big Ten Tournament Championship has not carried a lot of weight going forward in the NCAAs historically.
I guess the winner of the B1G tournament will not be celebrating, cutting down nets and basically yucking it up all over the United Center, right?

Originally posted by MTHawkeyes43:
I guess the winner of the B1G tournament will not be celebrating, cutting down nets and basically yucking it up all over the United Center, right?
None of that will be happening. Nor would a BTT get us a better seed in the NCAAs. People need to just accept that losing to bottom dweller PSU has zero negative effect.

I think losing in the first game of the B1G tourney against one of the worst teams in the B1G is a great strategy.

Originally posted by HRiscool: Hmmmm, well, I think most of us got the impression you started this thread to say the BTT doesn't matter and the NCAAs do. Then when I presented the hypothetical that we tank in the NCAAs you reply with (paraphrasing) "It doesn't matter because we are still awesome and the season was a success."

So apparently what you meant to say was that the BTT is insignificant as are the NCAAs. In fact if we somehow got stuck in the NIT, this season would still be a success because all that matters is what happens prior to the post-season.
I said I'd be bummed if we lost in the NCAAs, and I'm not bummed now. So I guess you have your answer.

"I said I'd be bummed if we lost in the NCAAs, and I'm not bummed now. "

I hate to say it.....but prepare yourself.

This post was edited on 3/13 9:37 PM by Floyd_Of_Rosedale

The PSU loss seems to have moved us from a solid 7 to a weak 7. IMO if we had won 2 games we had a shot at a 6. So while the BTT matters a little it wasn't going to move us a ton.

The way some are posting, if we would have gotten a 6 or been a solid 7 sweet 16 here we come. No matter what seed we get we are going to be an under dog in round 2. If we would have gotten the 6/11 matchup we would have been probably the favorite. But that game is hardly in the bag. 7/10's and 8/9's are generally toss up games
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by hawkcub:
The PSU loss seems to have moved us from a solid 7 to a weak 7. IMO if we had won 2 games we had a shot at a 6. So while the BTT matters a little it wasn't going to move us a ton.

The way some are posting, if we would have gotten a 6 or been a solid 7 sweet 16 here we come. No matter what seed we get we are going to be an under dog in round 2. If we would have gotten the 6/11 matchup we would have been probably the favorite. But that game is hardly in the bag. 7/10's and 8/9's are generally toss up games
Posted from Rivals Mobile
So you're agreeing with the OP? Brave man to ignore concepts like momentum and the intangible aspect of competitive sports where you need to beat your opponent psychologically before the contest begins.

We just need to finish off this thread with the requisite: "Win or lose I support the Hawkeyes. Besides guys, it's just a game."

What WonderBoy meant to say is: The Big Ten Tournament Doesn't Matter--except if you win. Typical Hawkette excusitis and loser justification. And did I see someone say Iowa could come within 15 of Kentucky? First, typical regression to moral victories by losers. Secondly, someone from Buffalo Wild Wings would have to turn off the power in the arena--permanently--at about the 13-minute mark of the first half for the Hawks to keep it at minus 15.

I could high jump 8 feet, too -- but only if my gas grill blew up.

Self pity is always ugly.

Winning or losing in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament is absolutely non-indicative of how Iowa will fair in the NCAA Tournament. In college Basketball the notion of a team having or not having momentum after wins or losses is a myth. Most teams do not play consistently throughout the course of a single game. There can be a night and day difference in play between halves or even between media timeouts. That is the nature of basketball at any level. Talent generally wins out because talent generally can weather stretches of bad play better than the less talented. Iowa has a good, but not great team at present. They are not elite, but if Iowa plays to their potential they are more than talented enough to advance to the sweet sixteen. That is a far cry from where the program was five years ago. The program is still in recovery mode. It's just not quite there yet. If you don't understand that and you feel the need to trash the program and especially to trash the players after a setback, you may want to just stop watching before you do yourself an injury.
This post was edited on 3/14 4:57 AM by oldman101

If this is "one of the most impressive seasons in Iowa history," you're looking at a very recent history. Never heard of Ralph Miller, Lute Olson, Tom Davis? Ralph and Lute's teams were unbelievably good. Dr. Tom had at least 5 seasons better than this one. And even SteveO had a 23-12 and 25-9. I guess if your list of impressive is very long and broad, what you're suggesting is true. But realistically, only if Hawks win 2 or more in NCAA is this season "impressive." And I'll agree at this point that it's entirely possible. All depends on the draw now--and which Hawk team shows up.

None of that will be happening. Nor would a BTT get us a better seed in the NCAAs. People need to just accept that losing to bottom dweller PSU has zero negative effect.
That is complete nonsense.

Izzo's post game interview today, "Beating maryland didn't matter today. Playing wisky for the tourney title tomorrow won't matter either."
tongue.r191677.gif

Izzo is absolutely correct. Each game starts 0-0. It is how you perform in the game you are actually playing that affects it's outcome, not how well or badly you performed in any other game.
This post was edited on 3/14 5:12 PM by oldman101

Originally posted by SDHawkDoc:
That is complete nonsense.
Yes it is. Which means you and I disagree with the OP and all those trying to carry water for him.

Originally posted by SDHawkDoc:
Izzo's post game interview today, "Beating maryland didn't matter today. Playing wisky for the tourney title tomorrow won't matter either."
tongue.r191677.gif
I'm sure those were his exact words to his team BEFORE they played Maryland. He'll probably repeat them to his team right before they take the court against Wisky.

"Hey, guys, just remember, winning doesn't matter. Now go out there and focus on having fun." Izzo. (yep, sounds just like him)

This post was edited on 3/14 5:18 PM by HRiscool

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT