ADVERTISEMENT

The Bison will take your program's money. And then they'll take your pride.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
No. 13 Iowa (2-0) plays host to North Dakota State (2-0) at noon ET Saturday in Kinnick Stadium. The Hawkeyes will pay the Bison $500,000. And by the time the game is over, they'd better hope the cost was worth it.

North Dakota State is in the midst of a college football dynasty that has rarely been seen before. In the past five years the program is 73-5. The Bison have won five consecutive FCS championships, which includes 20 straight playoff victories. In many respects, North Dakota State is an FBS program that simply plays at the FCS level, where it can offer only 63 full scholarships instead of 85.

"It's like looking at Bill Russell's record in playoffs," Ferentz said. "It's ridiculous. ... They have a lot of good players. They just don't have 85 of them. Their top 40, I would say, probably is as good as anybody's."

According to ESPN Stats & Information, North Dakota State -- the top-ranked team in the FCS -- would be favored over 46 FBS schools on a neutral field, including four teams from Power 5 conferences. This week, Ferentz likened the team's physical style to Michigan State, while Iowa players compared it to Wisconsin.

Klieman's recruiting base generally focuses on the upper Midwest. Of the 112 players listed on the roster, the largest contingent out of one state comes from Minnesota (36). North Dakota is second with 23 players, followed by Wisconsin with 18 players. There are only two junior college transfers on the roster, as well as two FBS transfers.

"The big thing is, we're a developmental program," Klieman said. "We're bringing recruits in wanting them to develop over the three-, four-, five-year period. They get invested into our program a lot more."

North Dakota State has thrived on the recruiting trail by finding prospects who are fringe FBS players but don't garner the scholarship offers they believe they deserve. Klieman's message to recruits is that NDSU is every bit as good as many mid-major FBS programs from the Mid-American, the Mountain West or the Sun Belt conferences. Plus, the Bison have a tradition of competing for national championships.

Four former North Dakota State players have been selected in the NFL draft over the past three years: offensive tackle Billy Turner, linebackerKyle Emanuel, offensive tackle Joe Haeg and quarterback Carson Wentz. Collectively, they received a total of zero FBS scholarship offers. ThePhiladelphia Eagles selected Wentz with the second overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft, making him the highest-drafted player in school history.

NDSU Head coach Klieman has made no bones about the fact this Iowa team will be the most difficult challenge North Dakota State has faced at the FBS level. Of the Bison's five previous FBS victories, only one team (Kansas State in 2013) finished the season with a winning record. Iowa, the Big Ten West favorite, has averaged 43.5 points per game in two easy victories this fall.

The task is daunting, of course. But if any FCS team can pull it off, it's NDSU. Buyer, beware.

"They're used to going on the road and having success," Ferentz said. "And I'm sure that's their plan right now."

The entire article from ESPN.com:

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...e-puts-fbs-winning-streak-on-the-line-vs-iowa

Last edited:
"According to ESPN Stats & Information, North Dakota State -- the top-ranked team in the FCS -- would be favored over 46 FBS schools on a neutral field"

That means they wouldn't be favored against 82 of them.

"Klieman's message to recruits is that NDSU is every bit as good as many mid-major FBS programs from the Mid-American, the Mountain West or the Sun Belt conferences."

Every bit as good as many mid-major FBS programs? That doesn't sound like the confident proclamation that they'll take our programs money and then take our pride.

good story. I sure wish NDSU was FBS.

but Mountain West or MAC should invite us, but they wont because we are already better than those teams.

big 12 is a fit if we had a 42,000 stadium ala baylor, iowa state

but Mountain West or MAC should invite us, but they wont because we are already better than those teams.

Can you imagine an outdoor stadium in late November/early December in North Dakota?!

If your Bison are too good for conferences, then they're too good to wear those fugly uniforms as well. Winning ugly...literally.

That fact you believe this shows how delusional you are.

You are not better than Bosie State, Utah State or San Diego State. Let alone many of the other teams. When App state went FBS (and I'd say they have more national name value as they had that all-timer win over Michigan) they joined...the Sun Belt.

You're great coach the one that started all this, got a job at which school? That's right Wyoming. At least Jim Tressell could go from Youngstown State to Ohio State.

But, let's get down the real nitty gritty. The fact you even have the ability to suggest the big 12 is so beyond dumb, I wonder if you have even the simplest understanding of college athletics.

Jack Trice where ISU plays seats 61,500, not 42,000 like you suggest. Baylor is at 45,000 closer but still not 42,000. But, the real issue is North Dakota is the 47th most populous state. You add zero tv sets, you add zero recruiting opportunities.

You are ranked #188 nationally academically by U.S. News. That means you bring zero to the table academically. You're tied with Kent State and Suffolk University and at least those two school could offer some TV sets.

The Big 12 would rather tale UAB than North Dakota State.

No. 13 Iowa (2-0) plays host to North Dakota State (2-0) at noon ET Saturday in Kinnick Stadium. The Hawkeyes will pay the Bison $500,000. And by the time the game is over, they'd better hope the cost was worth it.

North Dakota State is in the midst of a college football dynasty that has rarely been seen before. In the past five years the program is 73-5. The Bison have won five consecutive FCS championships, which includes 20 straight playoff victories. In many respects, North Dakota State is an FBS program that simply plays at the FCS level, where it can offer only 63 full scholarships instead of 85.

"It's like looking at Bill Russell's record in playoffs," Ferentz said. "It's ridiculous. ... They have a lot of good players. They just don't have 85 of them. Their top 40, I would say, probably is as good as anybody's."

According to ESPN Stats & Information, North Dakota State -- the top-ranked team in the FCS -- would be favored over 46 FBS schools on a neutral field, including four teams from Power 5 conferences. This week, Ferentz likened the team's physical style to Michigan State, while Iowa players compared it to Wisconsin.

Klieman's recruiting base generally focuses on the upper Midwest. Of the 112 players listed on the roster, the largest contingent out of one state comes from Minnesota (36). North Dakota is second with 23 players, followed by Wisconsin with 18 players. There are only two junior college transfers on the roster, as well as two FBS transfers.

"The big thing is, we're a developmental program," Klieman said. "We're bringing recruits in wanting them to develop over the three-, four-, five-year period. They get invested into our program a lot more."

North Dakota State has thrived on the recruiting trail by finding prospects who are fringe FBS players but don't garner the scholarship offers they believe they deserve. Klieman's message to recruits is that NDSU is every bit as good as many mid-major FBS programs from the Mid-American, the Mountain West or the Sun Belt conferences. Plus, the Bison have a tradition of competing for national championships.

Four former North Dakota State players have been selected in the NFL draft over the past three years: offensive tackle Billy Turner, linebackerKyle Emanuel, offensive tackle Joe Haeg and quarterback Carson Wentz. Collectively, they received a total of zero FBS scholarship offers. ThePhiladelphia Eagles selected Wentz with the second overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft, making him the highest-drafted player in school history.

NDSU Head coach Klieman has made no bones about the fact this Iowa team will be the most difficult challenge North Dakota State has faced at the FBS level. Of the Bison's five previous FBS victories, only one team (Kansas State in 2013) finished the season with a winning record. Iowa, the Big Ten West favorite, has averaged 43.5 points per game in two easy victories this fall.

The task is daunting, of course. But if any FCS team can pull it off, it's NDSU. Buyer, beware.

"They're used to going on the road and having success," Ferentz said. "And I'm sure that's their plan right now."

The entire article from ESPN.com:

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...e-puts-fbs-winning-streak-on-the-line-vs-iowa

You do know you are not playing Iowa State?

Reactions: DixieHawkeye

You are not better than Bosie State, Utah State or San Diego State. Let alone many of the other teams. When App state went FBS (and I'd say they have more national name value as they had that all-timer win over Michigan) they joined...the Sun Belt.

You're great coach the one that started all this, got a job at which school? That's right Wyoming. At least Jim Tressell could go from Youngstown State to Ohio State.

But, let's get down the real nitty gritty. The fact you even have the ability to suggest the big 12 is so beyond dumb, I wonder if you have even the simplest understanding of college athletics.

Jack Trice where ISU plays seats 61,500, not 42,000 like you suggest. Baylor is at 45,000 closer but still not 42,000. But, the real issue is North Dakota is the 47th most populous state. You add zero tv sets, you add zero recruiting opportunities.

You are ranked #188 nationally academically by U.S. News. That means you bring zero to the table academically. You're tied with Kent State and Suffolk University and at least those two school could offer some TV sets.

Bah God, that man had a family!

wwe-4-390x285.png

I remember when Montana came into Kinnick in 2006. They were a 1-AA power at the time with a string of eight straight conference titles, a five year record of 55-15 with two national championship game appearances and one national title. They faced off against an Iowa team that went on to finish 6-7. They finished the season 12-2.

Iowa won the game 41-7.

my season tickets are for sale. I'm not going to watch North Dakota State destroy us. And after they do, I don't think I have it in me to come back to Kinnick Stadium.

Next to the New England Patriots this is the second best team in all of football. It is disgustingly humiliating for us to have gone 12-0 and enter a game where our players and Fanbase know we are inferior.

Reactions: QChawks
NDSU is a great story no matter what level of football we are talking about. Heck Mount Union is another great story and they have every right to be proud and a little cocky. I would be too. That being said we have no business loosing to them and we should roll.

friday-damn.gif

screw u. NDSU would kick the crap out of every mountain west team, beat colorado state 22-7 they got like 6 1st downs vs us.

NDSU only has 19,000 stadium, with 5,000 on waiting list and every ticket sold out b4 season starts.

a 42,000 stadium is needed.

very solid academics at NDSU, great engineering school, lots of research, STEM.

TV sets, every game on broadcast tv in dakotas & most of Minnesota.

colorado state has denver, unlv have big markets but no one watches them, the shares of those watching ndsu is thru the roof!

ps Jets corner Marcus Williams NDSU just had an interception on nfl network, 2 in 2 games

NDSU is a great story no matter what level of football we are talking about. Heck Mount Union is another great story and they have every right to be proud and a little cocky. I would be too. That being said we have no business loosing to them and we should roll.

I hope we never schedule Mount Union.

screw u. NDSU would kick the crap out of every mountain west team, beat colorado state 22-7 they got like 6 1st downs vs us.

And Iowa would beat bama, you have nothing to back this claim up. Oh and as for your Colorado State one game reference, you forgot to mention that game against Wyoming (4-8, 1-7). How did that go? What conference are they in again?

NDSU only has 19,000 stadium, with 5,000 on waiting list and every ticket sold out b4 season starts.

Can you come close to selling out 42,000? You could double your stadium and still have to sell 5,000 more seats

#188 so U.S. News disagrees. According to the latest figure from the National Science Foundation you ranked 122nd in Research expenditures

colorado state has denver, unlv have big markets but no one watches them, the shares of those watching ndsu is thru the roof!

Great all 47 people in North Dokata watch. That means zero. It's all about potential and total TV sets. It's why the Big 10 added Rutgers. Do you think there are ton of people that watch rutgers? But now the big 10 could go to ESPN and Fox and say hey we're in the New York market. And now we have a $60 million per school TV contract. Denver offer 1.6 million TV sets alone in its media market. The entire state of North Dakota offers 750,000 (and that's if every person owns a TV, so the total is likely much lower).

Last edited:

Would you guys fill a stadium that large if you had one?

Well, Mount Union basically gets a bunch of players who were never going to see the field at Ohio State so there's that.
And they did not want to attend Miami of Ohio, Ohio University, Toledo, Cincinnati, Youngstown State, Akron, or Bowling Green?

And they did not want to attend Miami of Ohio, Ohio University, Toledo, Cincinnati, Youngstown State, Akron, or Bowling Green?

Nope. Well, I imagine that football isn't the primary focus of most of their players since it is Division III, but the lure of playing for a national championship every year is as strong at Division III as it is at Division I. Of course, I bet a lot of those players aren't good enough to play at those other schools either.

Reactions: Herkmeister

ps Jets corner Marcus Williams NDSU just had an interception on nfl network, 2 in 2 games
You're the worst kind of troll. You are pretty stupid.

Broadcast tv & Fox Sports North covers all of dakots
Would you guys fill a stadium that large if you had one?

absolutely NDSU gets 19k a game, and easily 10-15k more to tailgating & quite frankly most have given up on the idea of getting a ticket.

ndsu is losing a ton of revenue by not having a bigger stadium

Lakes, serious question: How did USD get past NDSU last season?

absolutely NDSU gets 19k a game, and easily 10-15k more to tailgating & quite frankly most have given up on the idea of getting a ticket.

ndsu is losing a ton of revenue by not having a bigger stadium

It's easy to say that when your winning national championship. When you're not it looks like the people of N.D. care about North Dakota football as much as the rest of us.

Screen_Shot_2016_09_16_at_12_24_43_AM.png

According to the NCAA's study, the average winning percentage of those 19 teams when they were in FCS was 55.7 percent. In the FBS, that fell to 44.8 percent. They've also seen far fewer winning seasons, from 64.4 percent in the FCS to 37.2 after moving up a classification.

Some teams have bucked the trend. Boise State, which reclassified in 1996, has gone from an average of 7.44 wins per season in the FCS to 10 per year in the FBS. Five other schools out of the 19 have seen an improvement, but UConn is the only other school to have seen an improvement of more than one game per year.

Tom Kleinlein, the athletic director at Georgia Southern, says it doesn't matter.

"Go ask someone 100 miles from Statesboro how many national championships we won at the FCS level," he said. "No one knows."

Kleinlein pointed out that the lowest-rated bowl games still routinely garner higher ratings than the FCS national championship game.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/79554/moving-to-fbs-a-challenge-for-most

Lakes reminds me of a regular caller into the Paul Fienbaum show. But he's talking NDSU instead of Alabama.

It blows my mind how many people get sucked into Lakes trolls. It's pretty enjoyable actually. Keep doing you Lakes.

So the dweeb that writes the article graduated from Kansas, where nobody knows anything about FB, and is a beat writer for the Badgers.

12 months from now this same piece will be written by another dweeb. Rinse, repeat.

Reactions: td77
Does NDSU qualify? NCAA rules...

1. Sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth in Bylaw 20. Sponsorship shall include a minimum six sports involving all male teams or mixed teams (males and females), and a minimum of eight varsity intercollegiate teams involving all female teams. Institutions may use up to two emerging sports to satisfy the required eight varsity intercollegiate sports involving all female teams. [Bylaw 20.9.9.1]

2. Schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football contests against members of Football Bowl Subdivision. Institutions shall schedule and play at least five regular season home contests against FBS opponents. [Bylaw 20.9.9.2]

3. Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.9.3]

4. Provide an average of at least 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of overall football grants-in-aid per year over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.9.4-(a)]

5. Annually offer a minimum of 200 athletics grants-in-aid or expend at least four million dollars on grants-in-aid to student-athletes in athletics programs. [Bylaw 20.9.9.4-(b)]

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Football Bowl Subqa 12 8 14.pdf

Then if you join a conference, you'd have to satisfy the conference's qualifications.

Then, let's say you go D1 without a stadium upgrade. You satisfy the attendence...but then you'll be in a much bigger league...and even in the non P5 leagues, it's a bit of an arms race for cash to compete. Which means you need non-con home games.

Can't do all FCS non-conference...bowl eligibility would be at stake. Which means big paycheck games like this weekend. Which ruins records.

Go FBS...you're probably for a long time ending your dominance over anybody you currently enjoy. Are the crowds to games going to continue when you're say 6-6 every year?

So could you pull it off, going to FBS? Maybe. Build a bigger stadium, and fill it every game...maybe. But with the current dome, I have a hard time seeing how you expand that dome AND keep your attendance at 15k+ while doing it...so you'd need a whole new stadium.

Then, how do you actually pay for it? Unless you got a booster with a spare quarter of a billion lying around, I don't see it happening.

Ain't happening...

Wait....so 19,000 + 5,000=42,000....?
This explains the academic ranking I guess.

I will say this, Mount Union would give Florida a better game than Presbyterian will. They might only get beaten by 60.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT