ADVERTISEMENT

The Brands Brothers

I almost didn’t get to the end of the second article. Glad I did. The “Nads” and their mascot “Scrotie” is hilarious. Go Nads!!!

Fulton Illinois has a Christian school. They let their students name the school when it opened in the early 80’s. They named it the
“Fulton Unity Christian Knights.” They must have been learning about all that begatting that was going on in the good book. I wonder how long it took the adults to figure it out.

Regarding Sheldon, Iowa. Other than the Brands, has there ever been another wrestler (anyone) attend Sheldon High School? Who? Where did the Brands develope as wrestlers. Who tutored/coached the Brands during their early years. Is northwest Iowa noted for strong wrestling programs? Just trying to understand how these guys developed.
The only dominant Wrestling Program in NW Iowa has been Emmetsburg, in Class 2A most of those years (Algona had a real strong program in the early to mid 70's IIRC). They (E'burg) were also great in Football for a LONG time. Their first great run was in the mid to late 70's, which as previously stated produced Iowa's Jeff Kerber, undefeated 4 Timer in Iowa (and a super nice guy IMO). They also had a couple of Kauffman's attend Iowa that didn't pan out (Bob and Dan I think?). Grant Steen was a Hawkeye starting linebacker, and they had an Offensive Lineman who did well at Iowa whose name escapes me (IIRC anyway...Nelson?). Anyway, those 70's Wrestling teams would have made a run at winning in Class 3A IMO. They had Jeff Kerber, and Rich Stillman (3 timer), Jack Higley, Kevin Kauffman, Jeff Kerber's older brother was real good but not great (Mark??) and some other solid guys. Sorry, didn't do any research, going by my clearly faulty memory! ;)

The only dominant Wrestling Program in NW Iowa has been Emmetsburg, in Class 2A most of those years (Algona had a real strong program in the early to mid 70's IIRC). They (E'burg) were also great in Football for a LONG time. Their first great run was in the mid to late 70's, which as previously stated produced Iowa's Jeff Kerber, undefeated 4 Timer in Iowa (and a super nice guy IMO). They also had a couple of Kauffman's attend Iowa that didn't pan out (Bob and Dan I think?). Grant Steen was a Hawkeye starting linebacker, and they had an Offensive Lineman who did well at Iowa whose name escapes me (IIRC anyway...Nelson?). Anyway, those 70's Wrestling teams would have made a run at winning in Class 3A IMO. They had Jeff Kerber, and Rich Stillman (3 timer), Jack Higley, Kevin Kauffman, Jeff Kerber's older brother was real good but not great (Mark??) and some other solid guys. Sorry, didn't do any research, going by my clearly faulty memory! ;)

Hated the E-Hawks!!! They owned Sheldon in FB and wrestling. We had a solid run in FB, BB and wrestling in the mid 80s and still couldn't get over on those guys. And if it wasn't Emmetsburg, it was Spencer.
The Lakes conference was pretty tough back in the day.

Hated the E-Hawks!!! They owned Sheldon in FB and wrestling. We had a solid run in FB, BB and wrestling in the mid 80s and still couldn't get over on those guys. And if it wasn't Emmetsburg, it was Spencer.
The Lakes conference was pretty tough back in the day.
Toby was so much fun to watch.

Emmetsburg dual meet streak in the 70’s started after a loss to Algona & ended in 1980 with a loss to Algona. That would of been the Jeff Kerber, Kauffmans, Van Oosbree era.
That streak was 4-5 years or maybe more

Looks like it was 1974 to 1978. I was surprised by that because 1979 would have been Dan Kauffman, Jeff Kerber, Mike Van Oosbree's senior year and they won state that year.

Last edited:
In the Golden era of Sheldon sports he was the king.
Is it the golden era? Sheldon had some good football teams make it to the dome more recently and won state in basketball. Outside of runner up in wrestling in the 80s they accomplished almost nothing. Still not as bad as the 90s where they only had some good bball teams who did nothing.

Last edited:
Is it the golden era? Sheldon had some good football teams make it to the dome more recently and won state in basketball. Outside of runner up in wrestling in the 80s they accomplished almost nothing. Still not as bad as the 90s where they only had some good bball teams who did nothing.

IDK, is it?

82-87s run included
FB-3x playoffs (no dome but painfully close in 85. They lost to Garrigan who won it.)
BB-Nothing to speak of in hoops, never could top the big boys of the area.
WR-2x top 4 (runner up for finish has * without Tom. Would have won by a large margin)
Baseball-1 state tourney
TF-1 state champ (82)

2008-2018 run
FB-3x playoffs, 1 dome
BB-2x tourney. State Champ (13)
WR-Nothing to see here but Ihnen
Baseball-Nothing to see here
Track-Nothing to see here (do they even track)

Tough call, I lean towards 80s... But Toby was still the King!!!

IDK, is it?

82-87s run included
FB-3x playoffs (no dome but painfully close in 85. They lost to Garrigan who won it.)
BB-Nothing to speak of in hoops, never could top the big boys of the area.
WR-2x top 4 (runner up for finish has * without Tom. Would have won by a large margin)
Baseball-1 state tourney
TF-1 state champ (82)

2008-2018 run
FB-3x playoffs, 1 dome
BB-2x tourney. State Champ (13)
WR-Nothing to see here but Ihnen
Baseball-Nothing to see here
Track-Nothing to see here (do they even track)

Tough call, I lean towards 80s... But Toby was still the King!!!
Sheldon was runner up in 05, semis in 2010, 2 other playoff appearances in football and won basketball in 2013. 4-3 in playoff appearances and 2-0 in dome appearances for the younger era over the 80s. Basketball title a wash with wrestling runner up finish.

I cant help but advocate for my era :)

Last edited:
Sheldon was runner up in 05, semis in 2010, 2 other playoff appearances in football and won basketball in 2013. 4-3 in playoff appearances and 2-0 in dome appearances for the younger era over the 80s. Basketball title a wash with wrestling runner up finish.

I said Golden era of Sheldon sports, you left off a few that I mentioned like wrestling, baseball and track.
Oh and for good measure we had a State champion and runner-up finish in CC in that run as well. 80s sports in a landslide. :D

Football playoff qualifying was a touch different in the eras. That said dome is the dome

Football playoff qualifying was a touch different in the eras. That said dome is the dome
I believe the change from 2 to 4 playoff teams per district happened recently. Otherwise it had been the same for a very long time. The '05 team had the same qualifying standard as '85

I said Golden era of Sheldon sports, you left off a few that I mentioned like wrestling, baseball and track.
Oh and for good measure we had a State champion and runner-up finish in CC in that run as well. 80s sports in a landslide. :D
I did mention wrestling, however I see your baseball track and CC with '09, '11, '13 state vball teams with the '09 team state runnerup and '12 girls state golf participants for good measure. 80's got nothing on '05-'15

Reactions: Ol' Dirty Bastard
I did mention wrestling, however I see your baseball track and CC with '09, '11, '13 state vball teams with the '09 team state runnerup and '12 girls state golf participants for good measure. 80's got nothing on '05-'15

You're welcome for the 05 football team, haha.

Good stuff. I guess we call it a draw. Still no Toby Kamies or TnT ;)

Reactions: russelscout

Mark was Jeff’s brother.

Their dad was a tool. I saw him berate Mark after a loss at districts one year.

Mark was Jeff’s brother.

I always understood that their father, through the youth program, was responsible for the rise of that program. Cant speak to what kind of guy he was.

Who was that CC kid again? Billy Kirkwood? Gawd he could run. I had to go out for CC one season to be eligible to wrestle and it was crazy. Coach Clefish would set a practice route, most of us would cheat by taking the RR tracks and cutting off miles but that damn kid would still beat us back in.

Who was that CC kid again? Billy Kirkwood? Gawd he could run. I had to go out for CC one season to be eligible to wrestle and it was crazy. Coach Clefish would set a practice route, most of us would cheat by taking the RR tracks and cutting off miles but that damn kid would still beat us back in.
Jeez Clefish was coaching back then? Guy stuck around for a long time. He was not a fan of me as I used to bring a football to track practice.

Ill never forget, we had a kid out who was not an athlete at all. Clefish made him run the 100m dash. The kid finished in 16 seconds or so. The next meet Clefish put him in the 200 and the kid didn't show up.

I always understood that their father, through the youth program, was responsible for the rise of that program. Cant speak to what kind of guy he was.

I can speak to that. I watched him. And I was friends of an Algona stud who got a nasty phone call from their dad one day stating that he wasn’t going to amount to anything on the mat.. (John Thorn.) And I got that story directly from John.

Old man Kerber May have promoted wrestling but I WATCHED HIM BE AN ASS TO HIS SON IN THE STANDS AFTER A BIG LOSS. And it was obvious that the verbal abuse he received after that loss hurt him. I was looking in the kids eyes.

Jeez Clefish was coaching back then? Guy stuck around for a long time. He was not a fan of me as I used to bring a football to track practice.

Ill never forget, we had a kid out who was not an athlete at all. Clefish made him run the 100m dash. The kid finished in 16 seconds or so. The next meet Clefish put him in the 200 and the kid didn't show up.

Dale Clefish is a friend of mine. He was always kind to me as a kid and a bit of a father figure for me.

We ran some nasty white water together in Idaho after I graduated and moved to Boise for a summer job.

Last edited:
Dale Clefish is a friend of mine. He was always kind to be as a kid and a bit of a father figure for me.

We ran some nasty white water together in Idaho after I graduated and moved to Boise for a summer job.
I never had a problem with him. He was nice enough. Our football coach made all the kids do track so he got a bunch of kids out who didnt give a crap about it so I can see where he was annoyed by that.

My gf at the time was a pretty good high jumper and I know she liked Clefish.

Reactions: el dub
Dale is a good guy. I’m not from Sheldon but know him through mutual acquaintances and see him regularly up at/on the lake. I was disappointed Sheldon left the Lakes Conference. Sibley made some sense due to their size but Sheldon was very competitive in most of the boys athletics, as you’ve noted. The E’Hawks pulling out added more salt to the wound, especially considering all their conf & state titles over the years. Wikipedia ironically, “cites lack of ability to compete successfully” as the reason for their move. Sad times for a once proud league with so much history. I always found it fun seeing familiar faces/rivals from the conference kicking around Arnold’s Park and the lakes area. Historic rivalries suffered with the move to District football.

Dale is a good guy. I’m not from Sheldon but know him through mutual acquaintances and see him regularly up at/on the lake. I was disappointed Sheldon left the Lakes Conference. Sibley made some sense due to their size but Sheldon was very competitive in most of the boys athletics, as you’ve noted. The E’Hawks pulling out added more salt to the wound, especially considering all their conf & state titles over the years. Wikipedia ironically, “cites lack of ability to compete successfully” as the reason for their move. Sad times for a once proud league with so much history. I always found it fun seeing familiar faces/rivals from the conference kicking around Arnold’s Park and the lakes area. Historic rivalries suffered with the move to District football.

Next time you talk to Dale, tell him Scott says “hi,” and ask about our river running days in Idaho.

I ran into Marty McDougal from Le Mars up at the lakes a lot back in the day at his families businesses. We met through wrestling.

Close, Bill Kerkaert.

Dale is a good guy. I’m not from Sheldon but know him through mutual acquaintances and see him regularly up at/on the lake. I was disappointed Sheldon left the Lakes Conference. Sibley made some sense due to their size but Sheldon was very competitive in most of the boys athletics, as you’ve noted. The E’Hawks pulling out added more salt to the wound, especially considering all their conf & state titles over the years. Wikipedia ironically, “cites lack of ability to compete successfully” as the reason for their move. I always found it fun seeing familiar faces/rivals from the conference kicking around Arnold’s Park and the lakes area. Historic rivalries suffered with the move to District football. Sad times for a once proud league with so much history.

Oh really? Member of that team? What position?

Right Tackle and Right Defensive End.

The lakes was a good conference with competitive teams in most sports. The distance between schools was the worst especially in wrestling, where there were three teams, and the furthest school got to wrestle the first and second match and the other visiting school had to wrest the second and third matches. Sheldon was matched ELC and Storm Lake; with Sheldon being 6 miles closer to both then the others. Also with Emmetsburg and Western, which isn't as bad 2 out of the 3 years.

Also for the record I liked all coaches mentioned, they were all in their last years when I had them as my coach.

Mark was Jeff’s brother.

I think he got ran out of a few gyms was my understanding back then ( might be B.S. but was told that - thing is his kids didn't lose very often).

Love me some Dale Clefish. He went from my favorite teacher to my favorite bartender.

I can speak to that. I watched him. And I was friends of an Algona stud who got a nasty phone call from their dad one day stating that he wasn’t going to amount to anything on the mat.. (John Thorn.) And I got that story directly from John.

Old man Kerber May have promoted wrestling but I WATCHED HIM BE AN ASS TO HIS SON IN THE STANDS AFTER A BIG LOSS. And it was obvious that the verbal abuse he received after that loss hurt him. I was looking in the kids eyes.
Please excuse my double post, we were having wi-fi problems due to storms last night. I don’t doubt any of what you share about Ol Man Kerber. My Dad used to tell us similar stories when sharing the results from tournaments & dual meets. I always felt sorry for Mark.

Please excuse my double post, we were having wi-fi problems due to storms last night. I don’t doubt any of what you share about Ol Man Kerber. My Dad used to tell us similar stories when sharing the results from tournaments & dual meets. I always felt sorry for Mark.

I felt so sorry for Mark that day and didn’t even know him. We happened to be seated right next to old man Kerber in the stands for that match and Mark came to his father to get that verbal abuse in front of all within ear shot.

Mr Kerber has sobered up & has a good relationship with his kids today, I believe

I believe you are right. There are some great interviews with Jeff on YouTube and he alluded to the fact is dad has been sober for like 30 years. Jeff is as nice a guy as you’ll find and he’s the first to admit his dad was a bit of a character back in the day. If your a fan of NW Iowa wrestling & the Hawks they’re worth checking out.

Reactions: buf87
If were talking wrestling schools in NW Iowa I think CL-GLR should get a mention. Of course this is just my bias opinion but some stats to follow it up.

Since 1979 they've only had 5 years without a state qualifier. I chose 79 because that was the first year 4 State Champs in that run Jordan Gacke and Nate Herda were both 2xers in 07 and 08. Tom Meester was a 3 time placer 7th 3rd and 2nd (from 99-01) who went on to be a 2x National Champ in D2 at Augie. Keith Van Beek was a state champ in 85 and had some battles with Tom and Terry. Keith beat Terry 3 or 4 times but didn't beat Tom I think. Mike Vander Woude was a state champ in 89. I dont know much about Mike other than he had an undefeated season that year. Plenty of other tough wrestlers that made the finals just couldn't finish the year with a win. Curt and Scott Eben both lost in the finals. Curt was a 2x placer 5th and 2nd. Scott was a 3x placer 5th 2nd 2nd. Tim and Nate Deboer. Tim lost in the finals his senior year and Nate was a 2x placer. Recently Dylan Winkle lost in the finals this year and Kolten Bus lost in the finals the year before.

No team titles to speak of. Couple teams have qualified 99 and I believe 08 I could be mistaken though. 2008 team was pretty tough had 5 guys place that year 3 in the finals. Placed 3rd as a team in the individual tournament.

Emmetsburg was still the power back when I was in high school. (99-02) I remember the first time going to that tournament and just being in awe of their trophy case for football and wrestling. It was quite impressive. Recently West Sioux and Srgnt Bluff have more accolades I would say but CL-GLR has been right with them just not enough to get over the hump. That being said there's a reason CL-GLRs mantra these days is "Home Grown".

Always been some tough wrestling in NW Iowa I think there is a lot of schools that probably feel pretty good about their history. This has been a fun thread to follow along with. Thanks to everyone who's contributed.

Disclaimer: I don't have George Little Rocks stats before they joined up with Central Lyon.

If were talking wrestling schools in NW Iowa I think CL-GLR should get a mention. Of course this is just my bias opinion but some stats to follow it up.

Since 1979 they've only had 5 years without a state qualifier. I chose 79 because that was the first year 4 State Champs in that run Jordan Gacke and Nate Herda were both 2xers in 07 and 08. Tom Meester was a 3 time placer 7th 3rd and 2nd (from 99-01) who went on to be a 2x National Champ in D2 at Augie. Keith Van Beek was a state champ in 85 and had some battles with Tom and Terry. Keith beat Terry 3 or 4 times but didn't beat Tom I think. Mike Vander Woude was a state champ in 89. I dont know much about Mike other than he had an undefeated season that year. Plenty of other tough wrestlers that made the finals just couldn't finish the year with a win. Curt and Scott Eben both lost in the finals. Curt was a 2x placer 5th and 2nd. Scott was a 3x placer 5th 2nd 2nd. Tim and Nate Deboer. Tim lost in the finals his senior year and Nate was a 2x placer. Recently Dylan Winkle lost in the finals this year and Kolten Bus lost in the finals the year before.

No team titles to speak of. Couple teams have qualified 99 and I believe 08 I could be mistaken though. 2008 team was pretty tough had 5 guys place that year 3 in the finals. Placed 3rd as a team in the individual tournament.

Emmetsburg was still the power back when I was in high school. (99-02) I remember the first time going to that tournament and just being in awe of their trophy case for football and wrestling. It was quite impressive. Recently West Sioux and Srgnt Bluff have more accolades I would say but CL-GLR has been right with them just not enough to get over the hump. That being said there's a reason CL-GLRs mantra these days is "Home Grown".

Always been some tough wrestling in NW Iowa I think there is a lot of schools that probably feel pretty good about their history. This has been a fun thread to follow along with. Thanks to everyone who's contributed.

Disclaimer: I don't have George Little Rocks stats before they joined up with Central Lyon.
CLGLR, West Sioux and SBL dont belong in the same convo as Eburg. There was a time when the Ehawks were in the rankings for top 25 in the nation or recieving votes for a several year string.

One thing about Meester though. He was a D1 talent imo, and Iowa missed the boat by going after Mark Mueller instead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT