ADVERTISEMENT

The Capitol rioters kept posting incriminating things on social media. Unsurprisingly, they were mocked — and arrested.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Jan. 19, 2021 at 5:00 a.m. CST

Add to list
There’s a pretty simple reason Bruce Wayne never fires up Twitter and writes “Off 2 do sum cool Batman stuff” before donning his bat suit: Because then everyone would know he’s Batman.
The rioters who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 dressed in costumes of their own already have very little in common with the Dark Knight, but here is yet another example: Many of them bragged about their attempted insurrection on social media, making them pretty darn easy to identify.

As The Washington Post’s Dave Jorgenson asked in a TikTok, did this confederacy of dunces want to get caught?
That certainly seems to be the case.
For example, there is Kevin Lyons of Chicago, who originally told the FBI that he had a dream he was in the Capitol that day. Until, that is, they showed him a photo he posted to Instagram outside House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office with the caption “WHOSE HOUSE? OUR HOUSE!” causing him to reply, “Wow, you’re pretty good. That was only up for an hour,” according to court documents.
AD

Or Wisconsin’s Kevin Loftus, who took things a step further. After posting a selfie in the Capitol with the caption “one of 700 inside,” he later, perhaps inevitably, posted on Facebook, “i am wanted by the FBI for illegal entry.”
Or Joshua Matthew Black, from Alabama, who appeared in a video posted to YouTube two days after the attack. In it, he admits to entering the Capitol and offers up that he was carrying a knife. “Once we found out Pence turned on us and that they had stolen the election, like, officially, the crowd went crazy. I mean, it became a mob. We crossed the gate,” he said, according to court documents. “We just wanted to get inside the building. I wanted to get inside the building so I could plead the blood of Jesus over it. That was my goal.”
Here are some of the people charged since a mob breached the Capitol
These social media boasts were met with a deluge of arrests — and, this being the Internet, jokes.
AD

As one user tweeted, “Do all these people learn crime from the ‘How to be a Scooby Doo villain’ book?” Several posted a meme from “The Simpsons” in which a character named Jimbo Jones is shown holding a camcorder with the caption, “Videotaping this crime spree is the best idea we’ve ever had.”

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
9fd595327a9bd31987942b8d1cb0bbdd.jpg

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT