ADVERTISEMENT

The clean energy career path got a major league boost

billanole

HR Legend
Mar 5, 2005
It’s coming…

If the bill’s passage wasn’t signal enough, the report shows that climate change as a political issue—and frankly environmental protection more broadly—has arrived to a wholly new place. For decades, the country’s biggest climate advocates have tried to reduce the harm that the economy causes to the environment. Now they find themselves tasked with the biggest story in the economy itself.

Perhaps most strange, even if the United States slips into recession in the next year, the IRA will only become more important. Historically, economists and businesses have treated helping the environment as a product of prosperity—if the economy is good, then companies can afford to do the right thing. But the IRA’s programs and incentives will keep flowing no matter the macro environment, which makes betting on clean energy one of the most certain economic trends of the next few years. Clean energy is now the safe, smart, government-backed bet for conservative investors. It’s really a shocking reversal of the past 40 years. It is such a change that it hasn’t yet been metabolized by the world of people involved in the issue.

So inspired by the vigor of Credit Suisse’s forecast, let me venture a few predictions of my own. The number of Americans working in a climate-relevant industry is going to explode. It is going to undergo what you might call a techification. I was a nerd and a dreamer in high school in the late aughts, which meant I paid attention to the start-ups of that era—such as Twitter, Facebook, and Flickr—in their early years. I remember that fateful moment around 2010 when the valence of the industry switched—it was right around when The Social Network came out—and working in tech went from being a career choice for dorky optimists to the default career track for many ambitious college students. A similar switch is coming for companies working on climate change: The opportunity will be too large, the money too persuasive, the problems too intriguing.

Second, the U.S. is “poised to become the world’s leading energy provider,” according to the bank. America is already the world’s largest producer of oil and natural gas. The IRA could further enhance its advantage in all forms of energy production, giving it a “competitive advantage in low-cost clean electricity and hydrogen production, infrastructure, geologic storage, and human capital,” the report states. By 2029, U.S. solar and wind could be the cheapest in the world at less than $5 per megawatt-hour, the bank projects; it will also become competitive in hydrogen, carbon capture and storage, and wind turbines. (The law will help America’s battery industry, but the bank doesn’t see the U.S. becoming the world’s biggest battery producer, given that China already has such a dominant advantage.)

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
My God-brother’s business, Shoal Technologies will play a part (already is, frankly) in the solar niche of clean energy. Dude is a visionary.
The clean(er) energy field has so many avenues to take. I gotta think that in a few years people will be wondering why this didn’t happen much sooner.
Possibly the biggest changes will happen due to pootin’s weaponization of energy and growing frustration with the house of Saud.

My half brother has been selling solar for 5 years now. Moved to San Fran a year ago and now leads a sales group, at first I thought it was a MLM scheme but he’s printing money now. Something about the state laws in Cali and solar makes it one of the fastest growing cottage industries in the state with no signs of slowing.

Lost a grip on crypto though.

This is what I don't get about the reluctance to renewables. There is a crap ton of money and power that will go to the winner of developing the next energy source. Everyone should be for that and this is something right in America's wheelhouse. Knock this out of the park with government and public working together and we are the next generation's OPEC. Let's do this!

The clean(er) energy field has so many avenues to take. I gotta think that in a few years people will be wondering why this didn’t happen much sooner.
Possibly the biggest changes will happen due to pootin’s weaponization of energy and growing frustration with the house of Saud.
Big oil and who they have bought will fight this to the death.

Reactions: billanole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT