ADVERTISEMENT

The cluster that is the Big Ten...

What does this even mean? So is the science saying we should all be cowering in our homes? Iowa high school baseball played this year and everything was fine. Was that also science based?
"Conferences that don't make money" means conferences that don't have the influence of the $80 million hole in the athletics budget by not playing football. The fact that no one FCS level or lower - so no one that really relies on football money the way the big schools do - are playing tells me that money is making the decisions for the Big 12, SEC, ACC.

Science is probably on the sides of those who don't have money clouding decisions

This is dumb. There is as much science allowing the rest to test and be safe. They are not just ignoring it. You are an Orange Man Bad and must be stopped at all costs kinda guy I am guessing.

It is goddamn funny how one certain subject goes from SCIENCE to a personal choice real fast. You know of which one I speak?

Also I understand the emotional impact of seeing that tweet list things in that way but there are 14 FCS conferences, 17 Div 2, and of course 4 FBS conferences delaying

This is dumb. There is as much science allowing the rest to test and be safe. They are not just ignoring it. You are an Orange Man Bad and must be stopped at all costs kinda guy I am guessing.
You are incorrect. I'm a be cautious and when in doubt land on the side of player safety. Too much unknown this fall. Big Ten made the right call.

Thousands of college students and athletes have tested positive so far. That's in two or three weeks. Where are they storing all the dead bodies. Nowhere. There aren't any.
You should read more into "long haulers" from COVID. This is emerging information so reports are still conflicting, but it seems like everyone's best bet to avoiding complications is to just not get COVID, no matter your age or health. Non life-threatening complications can still be life-altering. Neurological problems are the most concerning for me.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
The guy on Outkick just said that not one college football player who has tested positive for CV19 has been hospitalized. Most had no idea they had it and at the worst they thought they had a mild cold. So, unless your a 70 year RS Senior trying to play college football, seems to be little to be concerned with. Add to that that every one of these football players and coaches is of legal age to decide to play or not. I also heard one of these talk show dudes say that if the BiG doesn't play, they may never recover. What he's saying is there is a possibility that not all BiG fans will return to watch in 21 if they don't play in 2020. That might seem far fetched, however I'm 56, watched the NFL religiously most of my life and had NFL sunday ticket for many years. I cancelled it when Kap took the knee and the league did nothing to stop it. I said f**k the NFL. Since then, I haven't cared to watch an NFL game and found other things to do on Sundays. I completely lost my desire to watch the NFL and will never go back to watching the NFL on a consistent basis.

You are incorrect. I'm a be cautious and when in doubt land on the side of player safety. Too much unknown this fall. Big Ten made the right call.
So a virus that is less harmful than the flu for the players is a good science based reason to not play in the Fall?
Delaying to January makes sense why? You going to have long term affects scientifically proven by then? What exactly will you accomplish by doing this?? Well I guess we will all be indoors where the virus spreads easier. Oh and hospitals will have more stress due to flu season makes a lot of sense. And we can ask our student athletes to compete 2 seasons in 1 calendar year. Player safety, right?
You’re just an idiot B1G cheerleader that thinks the B1G is making a rational decision. And scream SCIENCE with no real rhyme or reason.

So a virus that is less harmful than the flu for the players is a good science based reason to not play in the Fall?
That isn't a known fact, and some evidence points to the contrary.
Delaying to January makes sense why? You going to have long term affects scientifically proven by then? What exactly will you accomplish by doing this??
Nothing will be proven, and it might become clear that January won't work either
Well I guess we will all be indoors where the virus spreads easier. Oh and hospitals will have more stress due to flu season makes a lot of sense. And we can ask our student athletes to compete 2 seasons in 1 calendar year. Player safety, right?
You’re just an idiot B1G cheerleader that thinks the B1G is making a rational decision. And scream SCIENCE with no real rhyme or reason.
I have no skin in the game with the B1G and their decision besides agreeing with it. When you remove the manipulative effect money has on this decision, it's obvious what the choice is: don't play.

Delaying to January makes sense why? You going to have long term affects scientifically proven by then? What exactly will you accomplish by doing this?? Well I guess we will all be indoors where the virus spreads easier. Oh and hospitals will have more stress due to flu season makes a lot of sense. And we can ask our student athletes to compete 2 seasons in 1 calendar year. Player safety, right?

Let's do follow the data. And the data says there just isn't any real risk to people college age and under. And really, no significant risk to those under 50. It doesn't mean there is absolutely zero risk of COVID to college athletes, but it's so small as to be not significant.

Let's do follow the data. And the data says there just isn't any real risk to people college age and under. And really, no significant risk to those under 50. It doesn't mean there is absolutely zero risk of COVID to college athletes, but it's so small as to be not significant.
It is too soon to tell if that statement is correct. We need to recognize and respect what we don't know yet.

Were coming into the flu season and many won't vaccinate themselves and then won't get the Vid vaccine either when it becomes available. When we have 100K+ die of the flu with of course the Vid kicker, what will you think the next steps be then. Cancel life totally until spring?

Reactions: pmtdc and Pawkhawk1
Were coming into the flu season and many won't vaccinate themselves and then won't get the Vid vaccine either when it becomes available. When we have 100K+ die of the flu with of course the Vid kicker, what will you think the next steps be then. Cancel life totally until spring?
You're not really listening to my argument. I am not arguing that young people don't really die from COVID, but what I am saying there is mounting evidence that there may be complications from even "mild" cases that can cause impactful, long lasting disabilities. I have no solution to offer on how to resolve this problem.

You're not really listening to my argument. I am not arguing that young people don't really die from COVID, but what I am saying there is mounting evidence that there may be complications from even "mild" cases that can cause impactful, long lasting disabilities. I have no solution to offer on how to resolve this problem.
There is absolutely zero medical proof of your above comment. Quit spreading falsehoods.

There is absolutely zero medical proof of your above comment. Quit spreading falsehoods.
I never said proof, but I did say there is evidence mounting:

Most common symptoms reported for those still ill months later: fatigue, body aches, shortness of breath, difficulty focusing

Not life threatening, but those are life-altering conditions if they are prolonged.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
LMAO ...good lick with that
I live in one of the hottest COVID communities - Iowa City - and haven't had an issue yet. I'm not returning to the office until there's a vaccine says my employer.

Stay away from crowds and drink in your back yard instead of a bar and you'll probably be able to miss this virus. If the public health "close contact" definition is closer than 6' for 15 min or longer...well that's pretty easy to avoid most non-essential situations where you're that close to someone for that long.

Last edited:

But what you're not arguing, and cannot prove, is that college football players will get COVID and COVID-related latent conditions at a greater rate than other college students or young people not even attending college. So what you cannot prove is that the college football player is at greater risk because he plays football.

"Conferences that don't make money" means conferences that don't have the influence of the $80 million hole in the athletics budget by not playing football. The fact that no one FCS level or lower - so no one that really relies on football money the way the big schools do - are playing tells me that money is making the decisions for the Big 12, SEC, ACC.

Or maybe it should tell you that they can't afford to incur the extra expenses associated with testing each player 3x/week, providing safe transportation. Or that they are concerned about lawsuits given that they can't afford that extra protection...........in other words, they are not playing because of $ concerns......especially given the fact that HSs in most states are playing.

Most common symptoms reported for those still ill months later: fatigue, body aches, shortness of breath, difficulty focusing

Not life threatening, but those are life-altering conditions if they are prolonged.
Hell, I have every one of those conditions and I never had Covid. :eek: :)

Some interesting reading. I wouldn’t use the first link as it really demonstrates that the science is all over the place. The other two have some conflicts and might not support your premise as much as you want.

Reactions: RothMatt and pmtdc
Don't worry, the gov is going to get a vaccine approved in time for the election, so the B1G can start their season right after with full capacity stadiums, and finish their season @ New Years. Ticket revenue will offset missing the southern regional championship game.

So, I guess there should be no sports for another 10-20 years. Since the only way to find out what the long term consequences are is to wait long term.

Sorry.....the data is indicating there is very little risk to young people, and no reason not to play football.

But what you're not arguing, and cannot prove, is that college football players will get COVID and COVID-related latent conditions at a greater rate than other college students or young people not even attending college. So what you cannot prove is that the college football player is at greater risk because he plays football.
Correct I can't prove it, but there's is enough unknown that I support being cautious this fall.

So, I guess there should be no sports for another 10-20 years. Since the only way to find out what the long term consequences are is to wait long term.

Sorry.....the data is indicating there is very little risk to young people, and no reason not to play football.
There will be a vaccine within six months.

You should read more into "long haulers" from COVID. This is emerging information so reports are still conflicting, but it seems like everyone's best bet to avoiding complications is to just not get COVID, no matter your age or health. Non life-threatening complications can still be life-altering. Neurological problems are the most concerning for me.
Bastom-Sept-8-college-covid.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT