ADVERTISEMENT

The coming culture change is a positive

Mattski

HR Legend
Jan 21, 2007
Lee, Kem and Marinelli are going to change the culture in the program back to how it needs to be. They haven't been able to yet bc of their youth but these are the guys the rest of the team will be looking to and learning from in the coming years. I really think their aggression and confidence will bleed into the rest of the team, now we just need a bit more talent to soak it in.

Lee, Kem and Marinelli are going to change the culture in the program back to how it needs to be. They haven't been able to yet bc of their youth but these are the guys the rest of the team will be looking to and learning from in the coming years. I really think their aggression and confidence will bleed into the rest of the team, now we just need a bit more talent to soak it in.
You're mostly correct.

But we need a LOT more talent, and that talent has to be guys willing to put it all out when they step out there, every time. We're a LONG ways away from that. 9 National Qualifiers and 6 on the backside before the end of Day One. SMH

When you have all underclassmen as your leaders... that's more of a reflection on the juniors and seniors.

Realistically... this team is a long way from competing for titles. The void in the 2019 recruiting class is going to be a big halt to any momentum going forward.

And before someone says things could be worse... as in being in the position of Minnesota or ISU...those teams haven't been good for quite some time. The Hawks are going to struggle to stay top five from where I stand. Forget recruiting in the Midwest and head East.

I don’t think dominating flows linearly from winning. Strategizing to win today often means successfully avoiding positions where you are not good. However, if that strategy is employed for the long haul, you lose ground..and it’s filled with pressure. Getting good at avoiding positions is not the same as single minded focus on getting better at the sport itself. In fact, it’s the inverse. It’s deliberate avoidance of the very things you need to improve at. Even if strategizing works today, it only amplifies fear about the next match. You win the match, but you also know it’s because you avoided danger, not because you know you’re better at the act of wrestling. How many times can you pull off the strategy? Meanwhile, the message board wants to double down on strategy...grade the athletes on how effective their strategy is after each dual. A wide open style and a single minded focus on getting good at the act of wrestling cannot simultaneously be the highest priority along with winning today’s match...because sometimes the 2 come in conflict. If you choose winning today...don’t expect domination in the long haul.

You're mostly correct.

But we need a LOT more talent, and that talent has to be guys willing to put it all out when they step out there, every time. We're a LONG ways away from that. 9 National Qualifiers and 6 on the backside before the end of Day One. SMH
I totally agree but these three are going to make the rest of the roster better as well. It's a lot of the same affect I think Taylor had on psu. The style and confidence those squads wrestled with came as much from DT as anything else and that team still wrestles more like him and Ruth did than what was Carl's style.

Reactions: Dagboi
Coaches set the culture.
Yes but having team leaders truly exemplify it is more important. TnT can only do so much and can only do it with words. These guys can and do walk the walk and others will be more likely to follow.

Reactions: Dagboi
If culture is already coming from the coaches and also the 3 wrestlers still on the front side bracket, then why has Iowa not been better this year and past? Why didn't the rest of the team do better then? It mostly comes from talent in the wrestlers, the better wrestlers the better the results. Yes, you can coach a wrestler to over achieve but that's not the norm. Who ever get's the best wrestlers has the best chance, see Penn State and Ohio State.

You have to recruit the guys that have the ability to meet any cultural demands. Any coincidence that the youth you mention were all top 10 p4p recruits? We've lacked in quality as we went for quantity for so long in the hopes of mid-level recruits buying into a program when in fact it's a larger issue with talent not being in the room.

Are there any wrestlers from the state of Iowa still alive on the Championship side?
Miklus is I believe.

That is depressing. Probably the only time only one guy from Iowa made it to the Quarterfinals at NCAA's in over 40 years (slight exaggeration perhaps, but can't be too far off - between Iowa and Iowa State that had to be covered for a LONG time).

It ain't the culture, the desire to win, attitude, aggressiveness yada yada.

Getting blue ribbon talent is paramount, i.e. recruiting. It's been repeated many times, but we can work harder, show more spirit, always be pushing etc etc. If the talent isn't there, the training will only go so far. A guy might become AA after 3 or 4 years.

Iowa has recruited 3 top 10 p4p guys in the last 3 years, all from out of state. Those 3 are still alive in the qtrs. They are the only ones still there for Iowa.

The 7 guys who are on the backside or NQ are from all the other deciles - 2,3,7,9,>10,>10, >10.

Warner will be a nice addition next year, but we need more top tier recruits.

This tournament so far has me feeling better about Iowa wrestling going forward than at any point in almost a decade. We haul in a good class this year and next, and we'll be competing for a national title. Lee, Kem, and Marinelli are the most exciting young trio we have had in years.
OMG...A person with a positive note...What's this forum coming too? I realize Iowa isn't a Penn State or Ohio State but it really gets tiring hearing bitching on ever thread. There isn't a ton of great coaches out there to come in and change things overnight. Iowa HS wrestling isn't what it use to be 20 years ago. Hopefully in a couple of years we can get back to the top but complaining ever thread won't change the program. Big $$$ could...

OMG...A person with a positive note...What's this forum coming too? I realize Iowa isn't a Penn State or Ohio State but it really gets tiring hearing bitching on ever thread. There isn't a ton of great coaches out there to come in and change things overnight. Iowa HS wrestling isn't what it use to be 20 years ago. Hopefully in a couple of years we can get back to the top but complaining ever thread won't change the program. Big $$$ could...

Really? For me it's not coaching specific because I feel we have the best coaches in college when it comes to lower weights. I speak to a larger issue of TALENT, Cael and Ryan aren't on the same plane with the Brand's when it comes to rolling with kids and instruction but they've been able to bring an enormous amount of talent into the room that feeds off of each other. It's like a fungus and Cael and Ryan have put so much talent in the room that it just infects everyone. They recruit top level talent that recruits top level talent and breed winners. You can't coach certain talent into winners, say what you will but the Hawks have been left behind post Virginia Tech dual class. We're not who we think we should be because we haven't chased the kids that could make that happen.

Reactions: SabreHawk
When you have all underclassmen as your leaders... that's more of a reflection on the juniors and seniors.

Realistically... this team is a long way from competing for titles. The void in the 2019 recruiting class is going to be a big halt to any momentum going forward.

And before someone says things could be worse... as in being in the position of Minnesota or ISU...those teams haven't been good for quite some time. The Hawks are going to struggle to stay top five from where I stand. Forget recruiting in the Midwest and head East.
I’m with you, but only to a certain extent.....Cass and Brands are strong recruits and exactly the kind of style and aggressive attitude we want to emphasize under Lee-Bull-KemDawg’s leadership for the coming years. Add in more of the same with Warnerov (who is beside himself when he loses) and Lugo, maybe even Murin, and I see an even stronger shift arriving, toward the kind of culture we need to regain and re-establish. I don’t think the recruiting front is as bleak as it may seem at first glance. We didn’t reach for a subpar 133 recruiting solution after all the strong 2018 options dried up, and that’s to our credit.

You are wrong the Hawks have there 3 best guys for 3-4 more years they have Stoll for one more who will AA Turk who looks great in the post season and could AA. You add Lugo who will be a title contender next year Waranov who will be a title contender next year Murin who I believe to be very solid and maybe makes 33 and we will be much better next year at 74&84. With the addition of Big Cass The Hawks will be in the mix for a title next year and the next 3......

Last edited:
You are wrong the Hawks have there 3 best guys for 3-4 more years they have Stoll for one more who will AA Turk who looks great in the post season and could AA. You add Lugo who will be a title contender next year Waranov who will be a title contender next year Murin who I belive to be very solid and maybe makes 33 and we will be much better next year at 74&84. With the addition of Big Cass The Hawks will be in the mix for a title next year and the next 3......
Oh and then when the Hawks get Kennedy I will say I told you so.

Yep! No excuses for the HAWKS not to be in the hunt for a title NEXT year! IF they are not. Then you can start pointing fingers!

They have 4 monsters! I am adding Warner to Lee, Kemerer, and the Bull.

They have Stoll, Lugo, and Turk(or other if he gets beat out which in any case leaves 41 in solid hands!)

That leaves 3 spots to be filled which I will place in the coaches hands. I love the Brands Bros. and company. that being said, I expect them to have this figured out and in the works right now.

Biggest question mark in my mind is obviously 33? Can Murin make it without killing himself? IF he can,based on what he did at 41, you would expect some great results.

I like Gunther but he is what he is. Many say he is just not athletic enough which may be true? I believe it is more a mental thing. Some guys just don't/can't let it fly, and if you could figure out why and correct it. You will be a very wealth man!!!

Regardless Young has to hit the IRON hard and take over 74.

That leaves 84, and I have said it many times already. I feel Ca$h has got to get back down to this weight.

No doubt some question marks, but I would take this lineup over anyones next year!

Reactions: Grip220
I don’t think dominating flows linearly from winning. Strategizing to win today often means successfully avoiding positions where you are not good. However, if that strategy is employed for the long haul, you lose ground..and it’s filled with pressure. Getting good at avoiding positions is not the same as single minded focus on getting better at the sport itself. In fact, it’s the inverse. It’s deliberate avoidance of the very things you need to improve at. Even if strategizing works today, it only amplifies fear about the next match. You win the match, but you also know it’s because you avoided danger, not because you know you’re better at the act of wrestling. How many times can you pull off the strategy? Meanwhile, the message board wants to double down on strategy...grade the athletes on how effective their strategy is after each dual. A wide open style and a single minded focus on getting good at the act of wrestling cannot simultaneously be the highest priority along with winning today’s match...because sometimes the 2 come in conflict. If you choose winning today...don’t expect domination in the long haul.
^^^^^This, this, and this!^^^^^

It’s probably good for a Spencer Lee or Mark Hall to take an early career loss so they can let go of being an undefeated 4 timer, which is an unlikely outcome for anybody, and put themselves at some risk so they can learn and grow from it.

It’s too early for this, but since the thread has diverted into 2019 it got me thinking of Iowa vs PSU next year. Coming into this year, I thought Iowa would not be in the hunt until 2020, but I’m starting to change my opinion.

In a dual with PSU, it will be an absolute killer that we’re weak at 174 and 184 because PSU will score somewhere between 9-12 points at those 2 weights.

But the NCAA tournament will be different. A lot will hinge on Lugo for Iowa. If he can get to a title contender that would put Iowa right there with PSU’s 5 title contenders. I could see Iowa PSU finals at 157, 165, and 197 next year. And for PSU, a lot will hinge on their new guys. How good are their new 25/33s out of the gate, and verklereen at 149? If 2/3 of those weights become AAs, I still think PSU will have to much to overcome.

Yes but having team leaders truly exemplify it is more important. TnT can only do so much and can only do it with words. These guys can and do walk the walk and others will be more likely to follow.

I don't know how many of you heard Tom Ryan last night when they asked him what Kyle Snyder meant to OSU. He said every great organization has a peer that is raising the bar of expectation for everyone around them. Basically, that a coach (CEO) can do a lot, but someone has to take that vision internally and make others believe there is more. I know many hate Ryan on here, but he is spot on. Lee can do that for TNT and to a certain extent Kemerer and Bull (Nato and Jordan).

Also, I think both OSU and PSU are happy we got in the recruiting game. If Bull was at '65 for OSU, PSU isn't beating them. If Lee is at '25 for PSU, OSU isn't touching them. Without both of them at Iowa, we'd all be watching basketball (or at least start the fishing season prematurely).

I don't know how many of you heard Tom Ryan last night when they asked him what Kyle Snyder meant to OSU. He said every great organization has a peer that is raising the bar of expectation for everyone around them. Basically, that a coach (CEO) can do a lot, but someone has to take that vision internally and make others believe there is more. I know many hate Ryan on here, but he is spot on. Lee can do that for TNT and to a certain extent Kemerer and Bull (Nato and Jordan).

Also, I think both OSU and PSU are happy we got in the recruiting game. If Bull was at '65 for OSU, PSU isn't beating them. If Lee is at '25 for PSU, OSU isn't touching them. Without both of them at Iowa, we'd all be watching basketball (or at least start the fishing season prematurely).
I agree here I hope SL can have a career close to Snyder’s and he will be the GUY for IOWA along with the other cast of stars. F**st wil have at least one and no matter what IOWA has and does Hawkeye fans must understand times are different and the odds are stacked against us. To me this makes it even better when the stick it to them in the future. Go Hawks

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I agree here I hope SL can have a career close to Snyder’s and he will be the GUY for IOWA along with the other cast of stars. F**st wil have at least one and no matter what IOWA has and does Hawkeye fans must understand times are different and the odds are stacked against us. To me this makes it even better when the stick it to them in the future. Go Hawks
I think NCAA wise, he will. The only thing I’m not sure about is if he will win 2019 worlds and 2020 olympics.

You have to recruit the guys that have the ability to meet any cultural demands. Any coincidence that the youth you mention were all top 10 p4p recruits? We've lacked in quality as we went for quantity for so long in the hopes of mid-level recruits buying into a program when in fact it's a larger issue with talent not being in the room.
No, not at all and I mentioned this in another thread. We need more p4p top 10s without a doubt. At least 1 per year minimum. But we're never going to have as many as psu. We're going to need to develop a couple more under the radar guys than they will. Part of that development will be aided by having these 3 as the team leaders.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
****...its not rocket science. We have three top ten recruits in our lineup. So far, two of them have pinned their way through and one has TF'd his way through. Read somewhere that Kemdawg is 8-1 at NCAAs with 7 bonus wins. tOSU has top ten at:

149-Ranked 11
HWY

PSU has:

HWY

IF tOSU wins the tourney...and that's a big if because we are in the rounds that PSU makes it's money, it will be because they had just a little bit more in the cupboard than PSU.

****...its not rocket science. We have three top ten recruits in our lineup. So far, two of them have pinned their way through and one has TF'd his way through. Read somewhere that Kemdawg is 8-1 at NCAAs with 7 bonus wins. tOSU has top ten at:

149-Ranked 11
HWY

PSU has:

HWY

IF tOSU wins the tourney...and that's a big if because we are in the rounds that PSU makes it's money, it will be because they had just a little bit more in the cupboard than PSU.
Wasn't Stoll and Sorenson a top 10?

Yep! No excuses for the HAWKS not to be in the hunt for a title NEXT year! IF they are not. Then you can start pointing fingers!

They have 4 monsters! I am adding Warner to Lee, Kemerer, and the Bull.

They have Stoll, Lugo, and Turk(or other if he gets beat out which in any case leaves 41 in solid hands!)

That leaves 3 spots to be filled which I will place in the coaches hands. I love the Brands Bros. and company. that being said, I expect them to have this figured out and in the works right now.

Biggest question mark in my mind is obviously 33? Can Murin make it without killing himself? IF he can,based on what he did at 41, you would expect some great results.

I like Gunther but he is what he is. Many say he is just not athletic enough which may be true? I believe it is more a mental thing. Some guys just don't/can't let it fly, and if you could figure out why and correct it. You will be a very wealth man!!!

Regardless Young has to hit the IRON hard and take over 74.

That leaves 84, and I have said it many times already. I feel Ca$h has got to get back down to this weight.

No doubt some question marks, but I would take this lineup over anyones next year!
Honest question...do you think Cash is quick enough to be back at 84? I am not even close to wrestling expert...that said, my eyes saw someone getting progressively slower as the year went on at 97, was it an injury or just apathy? Obviously, dropping weight can only help him move better, but my thought would be that he should be quick for a 97 if he's wrestling up, and that's not the case the last few months, so how slow will he be as a big 84? Besides that, I agree with some of the other posts, I'm actually feeling good about this team moving forward. The young guys are showing that they are the future, and guys like Turk and Bowman showed that if someone wants those spots they are gonna have to be All American caliber to take them. Bring back a healthy Stoll in a watered down HWY division next year, and replace 74 and 33 with upgrades, the only drop off is Sorenson, which is pretty positive to me!

Reactions: IRONBIRD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT