ADVERTISEMENT

The crazy thing is…Iowa could still win the West

Big Hawk D-Port

HR Heisman
Nov 29, 2004
If you look at the rest of the West division, there are not many world beaters. I think everyone sees another loss coming at the Horseshoe, but after seeing Wisconsin sitting there at 0-2 in B1G play, I don’t believe a return to Indy is out of the question yet. Minnesota will be a factor, but they have a long history of fading down the stretch. Purdue has serious flaws.

Lose this weekend in Champaign and you can forget about it, obviously.

Sure they could. The B1G West does not have a really good team in the whole bunch.
minny, illanoy and pu are just ok. Iowa is subpar due to a completely incompetent offense. wisky looks like they've fallen off a cliff. And then you have nu and nebby who are both putrid.
With a line-up like that it leaves the division open for even a mediocre at best Iowa team to sneak out a division title at 6-3 depending on the tie-breakers. I don't see Iowa getting to 6-3, but it's plausible.

At this point, anyone who wins the Big Ten West will suffer a serious beat down in Indy. Iowa had their whipping last year, would hate to get squashed again this year just to say we are Big Ten West Champs. Ought to do what the PAC 12 is doing and the two teams with the best records play regardless of division.

The only problem with winning the West is Pony Tail might show up in Indy too.

Well, that and Iowa's obvious deficiencies, of course.

If you look at the rest of the West division, there are not many world beaters. I think everyone sees another loss coming at the Horseshoe, but after seeing Wisconsin sitting there at 0-2 in B1G play, I don’t believe a return to Indy is out of the question yet. Minnesota will be a factor, but they have a long history of fading down the stretch. Purdue has serious flaws.

You honestly believe Iowa has a realistic chance to make it to Indy with this offense? Wow, is all I can say.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
We still have the established problem at QB1. Immobile, inaccurate, trips over his own feet, takes sacks when he should have thrown it away…killing drives. Honest to God Almighty I do not see what they think they see in him.

passing completions <3 yards downfield to RBs and behind the line of scrimmage do not impress me.

You honestly believe Iowa has a realistic chance to make it to Indy with this offense? Wow, is all I can say.
Nobody can seriously believe that. Let’s count northwestern as a win and Ohio state as a loss. Based on the spreads, iowa has a between a 1% to 2% chance to win the five other games left. Two conference losses would get them to Indy. Three losses might get you there but the odds of Iowa only losing two more games are still under 5%.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
its realistic no matter how many say we have no shot. Can you look at any team in the west and say "no shot Iowa can win"? If Iowa gets blown out by 50 in the shoe and beats the west opponents, they will win the division. A 27-14 loss to Michigan doesn't say "Iowa has no shot", even though it feels that way. They are ranked 4th in the nation and made the playoff last year. The sky did not fall.

why do you have disdained hatred for somebody that tries to be positive ?
This board has turned into a haters bitch session. Every thread is dominated by absolute pessimism. Granted the offense up to now has pretty much sucked but I'm not giving up hope nor should you. I'm not jumping ship like so many have. Kirk and Brian aren't going anywhere anytime soon so the choice is to hate in every thread for the rest of the year or hope for the best and see what happens.

They can but it would be extraordinary with this offense and it would say a lot about how bad the Big 10 West is. that being said, Iowa will almost for sure lose at OSU to give them two losses but they can beat all the teams in the West if their offense can score 17-20 points a game with the help of the defense

Minny just crapped their pants at home, Purdue is dr jeckle and mr hyde and they find ways to lose games, Illinois will have to prove it to me, Wisky might just be below average, nebby can score but can they score against really good defenses??, and jNW is pretty weak.

Like you say the hawks really need to beat Illinois to get some momentum. Chase Brown is the guy but the hawks have held him in check before.

I just hope the defense gets so tired, sore, and injured that they cant finish the season

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
The odds on favorite is Minnesota. After that it’s all hot garbage. Someone has to go.

This game coming up will tell us a lot. It will tell us if there is still fight in this team to get better. It will give a much more accurate barometer of where Iowa stacks up in the West.

My best guess is that Iowa loses to OSU and another West team along the way. There is a log jam atop the West and it will be decided on a tiebreaker.

As bad as the offense is, the D and special teams are still good enough to keep Iowa in all their remaining games, save one.

This board has turned into a haters bitch session. Every thread is dominated by absolute pessimism. Granted the offense up to now has pretty much sucked but I'm not giving up hope nor should you. I'm not jumping ship like so many have. Kirk and Brian aren't going anywhere anytime soon so the choice is to hate in every thread for the rest of the year or hope for the best and see what happens.
Oh I was cheering Petras on but it didn’t help. Will try harder next time.

We still have the established problem at QB1. Immobile, inaccurate, trips over his own feet, takes sacks when he should have thrown it away…killing drives. Honest to God Almighty I do not see what they think they see in him.

passing completions <3 yards downfield to RBs and behind the line of scrimmage do not impress me.
Wish I could “like” this post a hundred times. Padilla and Labas had to have kicked KFs dog right in front of him.

I don't see the players quitting or whining. There out there giving their all and I bet they want to get to the BIG CG. But a shiteload of whinny pukey so called fans behind keyboards are being effing embarrasing with their criticism and negativism. Ef them. Maybe a coaching change is due but until that happens your bitching is getting old.

Reactions: Section25
I don't see the players quitting or whining. There out there giving their all and I bet they want to get to the BIG CG. But a shiteload of whinny pukey so called fans behind keyboards are being effing embarrasing with their criticism and negativism. Ef them. Maybe a coaching change is due but until that happens your bitching is getting old.
I bet Todd Lickliter loved you!

If you don’t want to read criticism online, don’t go online.

I'd like to see a meme with Brian Ferentz's head on a mongrel body, struggling to dogpaddle in a whitewater river rapids. That'd be a sweet metaphor for how I see the rest of the big ten season.

Purdue has the inside track with I gopher win and an ez schedule. They need to lose to teams they shouldnt, like us.

why do you have disdained hatred for somebody that tries to be positive ?
Theres positivity... and then just dumb loyalty. Your post history suggest the latter. I'd argue that's just as bad as extreme pessimism. With your 8-1 prediction....that means a win at Columbus. Not going to happen....in addition to going undefeated in the rest.

When your offense has ranked dead last in the FBS for most of the season so far, there will inevitably be pessimism.

I’m against personally attacking any players or coaches, but honest assessments of their performances is absolutely fair game and appropriate. Not in favor of any hatred being hurled anywhere, but my goodness — to expect optimism, when the offensive performance this year has been literally the worst in the nation most weeks, is beyond unrealistic, IMO.

Using my most optimistic appraisal of the rest of the schedule, I have us finishing 6-6 (4-5 B10) — and that’s with wins over WI and NE, both of which have at least as much talented and may be better coached by the time we play them. Would love to be wrong, but man, I don’t see any better than my prediction and could easily see worse. Winning the West would require a historic turnaround despite the fact that it’s a weak division, IMO.

I see us losing at IL, PU, and MN, and finishing behind all three. Really hope the Hawks prove me wrong but not seeing it.

This coming game will tell us exactly what kind of season we will end with. Terrible or a little better than mediocre.

This offense isn't much worse than last year's offense and they made it plus the west might be even worse. The schedule is a much bigger obstacle than the O and the fact Kirk has only been able to win the west when he hasn't had to play Michigan or OSU supports that.

This needs to be the last year of the BT West. It's an embarrassment to the conference and just not a fair way to schedule games. Being in the west half his tenure has been the best thing to happen to KF's career at Iowa besides the Parkers. It's a joke of a division

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
ADVERTISEMENT