ADVERTISEMENT

The crazy thing is…Iowa could still win the West

I'll start thinking they MIGHT be able to win the West as soon as they go on the rod and beat Illinois. The entire football nation would be pissed if Iowa won the West and the beat down to OSU might make the Michigan game last year seem like a tight battle. Not being negative...just realistic. Beat Illinois!

This offense isn't much worse than last year's offense and they made it plus the west might be even worse. The schedule is a much bigger obstacle than the O and the fact Kirk has only been able to win the west when he hasn't had to play Michigan or OSU supports that.

This needs to be the last year of the BT West. It's an embarrassment to the conference and just not a fair way to schedule games. Being in the west half his tenure has been the best thing to happen to KF's career at Iowa besides the Parkers. It's a joke of a division
Funny though we did play and beat Michigan in 2016 and Ohio State in 2017. No title in either year.

In most contexts, probably negative. Is hatred the only negative emotion? If I consider someone delusional, this means I must hate him?
Most people would take as a word attacking them in this context I believe.
How would you react being called delusional?

Whoever wins the West will get trucked by Ohio State or Michigan.
Probably but I wouldn't leave out PSU. They have the players to beat OSU and Michigan even though they'll be underdogs in both games. That OSU team just looks like they're toying with everybody right now.

Most people would take as a word attacking them in this context I believe.
How would you react being called delusional?
a) In this context, I would not conclude that the person “hates” me.
b) Honestly, I would consider my POV and try to understand why the other person labeled it as delusional. If, after that consideration, I discovered that the event I claimed confidence in had a 0.056% likelihood (per some current estimates), I would admit that some reasonable people might consider that to be delusional.
c) Regardless, I would feel as though there were probably a softer way of that person expressing his opinion of my opinion than as “delusional.” But I wouldn’t interpret it as being motivated by hatred (unless I had other reason to believe he hated me).

I don’t believe a return to Indy is out of the question yet.
Mathematically, you are correct. And the fact that Wisconsin has played poorly is true, but with the change in head coaches, the Badgers could rebound. (See Georgia Tech.) But the eye test says Iowa has little to no chance to win the West, but if that should happen, it would almost certainly mean the West was the worst division in Power 5 history, and Iowa would be beaten 93-0 by Ohio State in Indy. (Ohio State beat Iowa 83-21 on Oct. 28, 1950.) So please, send anyone but the Hawkeyes to Indy this year.

Iowa has zero chance of winning the west, they'll be lucky to beat Northwestern and Nebraska.
As the season progresses Iowa's vaunted defense will get worn down and when that happens all bets are off.
It will be interesting to see what the Iowa team will look like after the Ohio St game, could be ugly

Iowa has zero chance of winning the west, they'll be lucky to beat Northwestern and Nebraska.
As the season progresses Iowa's vaunted defense will get worn down and when that happens all bets are off.
It will be interesting to see what the Iowa team will look like after the Ohio St game, could be ugly
Could be ugly? It's not a matter of if, but how much ugliness. tOSU will name their score and our offense will barely get acquainted with their side of the 50. At least it will be good for Tory's yardage average, as he'll have the whole field to work with on most of his punts.

The B1G West was bad last year and appears to be as bad or worse this year.
Agree with what has already been posted; time for the divisions to be blown up.
Come up with a mixed schedule with some sort of protected rivals plan (2 or 3) and the two teams with the best final record meet in the title game. When the CFP expands the B1G champ game will be about seeding, not win and advance to the final four like it is at present.

If you look at the rest of the West division, there are not many world beaters. I think everyone sees another loss coming at the Horseshoe, but after seeing Wisconsin sitting there at 0-2 in B1G play, I don’t believe a return to Indy is out of the question yet. Minnesota will be a factor, but they have a long history of fading down the stretch. Purdue has serious flaws.

Lose this weekend in Champaign and you can forget about it, obviously.
Yeah we could......but after our game in Columbus in two weeks....................would we want to?

The B1G West was bad last year and appears to be as bad or worse this year.
Agree with what has already been posted; time for the divisions to be blown up.
Come up with a mixed schedule with some sort of protected rivals plan (2 or 3) and the two teams with the best final record meet in the title game. When the CFP expands the B1G champ game will be about seeding, not win and advance to the final four like it is at present.
Don't forget about new neighbors to the distant west........

The Big Ten will not do one big 16 team conference set up. They probably won't even do just two divisions, but that is more likely (and feasible) when UCLA and USC arrive in 2 years.

As for now, divisions will remain until they arrive, so we might as well win em while we can (even if we're gonna get embarrassed every time, which is what Kirk always believes will happen and coaches to avoid.................there I said it.)

If you don’t want to feel great check out the historical QBR ratings for big ten qbs going back to 2004. Two out of the three lowest played at the same school, fifteen years apart.

Win the West?

waynes-world-and-monkeys-might-fly-out-my-butt.gif

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT