ADVERTISEMENT

The Dark Underbelly of NIL

HawkNorth

HR All-State
Nov 24, 2003
I am in total agreement that as long as the NCAA reaps millions from athletes’ performances, those athletes should get something. This will be a very slippery slope however. The days of $500 handshakes from boosters will now be open handouts of money. What’s to keep a local car dealer from paying an athlete whatever they like to make an appearance on the lot? Or the owner of a restaurant or bar. When will these payments become a recruiting incentive with athletes being offered different sums for their “likeness”. I don’t know what guardrails are in place or if there is any realistic way to even police it. We are a short step away from colleges being a minor league for pro sports. That would be the only way to ensure that everyone is playing by the rules. At that point, why should athletes even go to college? I see no easy answer to this situation.

Unfortunately I think that you are right about this being a very slippery slope...and I also agree, that they should be able to earn something from NIL. These athletes are very close to being, or they actually are, the minor league right now.

All that said, in order to "police" this or keep it legit I almost think that all payments would have to go through the University....or some other entity, so that ANY payment outside of that patch would be improper and result in sanctions...there clearly have to be some controls or guard rails.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think that you are right about this being a very slippery slop....and I also agree, that they should be able to earn something from NIL. These athletes are very close to being, or they actually are, the minor league right now.

All that said, in order to "police" this or keep it legit I almost think that all payments would have to go through the University....or some other entity, so that ANY payment outside of that patch would be improper and result in sanctions...there clearly have to be some controls or guard rails.
Of course the problem there is the NCAA has shown they have no ability to "police" things now, no stomach for it, and are short handed on the needed bodies, and clearly WON'T sanction any school of name brand......

The universities that they play for is what people care about and is what actually gives most of these players their “value.” Without the Hawkeye logo associated with him, no one would care about Jordan Bohannon’s podcast, having him in commercials, etc.

That association with the university team is what opens more doors to opportunities that most college students don’t get right out of college. They can easily go get good paying jobs, start podcast, etc. because they played for the team.

It’s like an internship on steroids. You put in work for “little” (highly debatable) compensation up front and are rewarded with long term opportunities other students don’t get (at least not as frequently).

They want to focus on what they get during their 4 years but disregard the benefits they get after they leave because of playing on the team.

It's already happening and schools get wrist slaps. Missing bowls or tourneys on crappy years, get rid of an assistant, pull down a banner and keep cheating.

Reactions: Ronman
I am in total agreement that as long as the NCAA reaps millions from athletes’ performances, those athletes should get something. This will be a very slippery slope however. The days of $500 handshakes from boosters will now be open handouts of money. What’s to keep a local car dealer from paying an athlete whatever they like to make an appearance on the lot? Or the owner of a restaurant or bar. When will these payments become a recruiting incentive with athletes being offered different sums for their “likeness”. I don’t know what guardrails are in place or if there is any realistic way to even police it. We are a short step away from colleges being a minor league for pro sports. That would be the only way to ensure that everyone is playing by the rules. At that point, why should athletes even go to college? I see no easy answer to this situation.

What’s wrong with them getting paid openly? Let them get that money. Have a good year, let boosters all over bid on the kid to transfer to their school, the off season would be crazy each year.

What’s wrong with them getting paid openly? Let them get that money. Have a good year, let boosters all over bid on the kid to transfer to their school, the off season would be crazy each year.

Yeah it would great! Iowa develops a player like Luka for 2-3 years then the blue bloods swoop in, he goes to the highest bidder, and Iowa doesn’t get to see the fruits of their labor. As others have pointed out, this has to be regulated and above board. You’re naive if you think this doesn’t get really dirty, very quickly.

Yeah it would great! Iowa develops a player like Luka for 2-3 years then the blue bloods swoop in, he goes to the highest bidder, and Iowa doesn’t get to see the fruits of their labor. As others have pointed out, this has to be regulated and above board. You’re naive if you think this doesn’t get really dirty, very quickly.
What's your venmo?

I don’t think anyone has a problem with an athlete making some money on a podcast or for signing pictures

but there has to be some parameters on what can be paid. Or yes, it will very dirty very quickly
It’s already dirty. What’s going to change is we will know who is getting paid. I’m not sure it will change much outside of the teams who play fair will have a level playing field.

It’s already dirty. What’s going to change is we will know who is getting paid. I’m not sure it will change much outside of the teams who play fair will have a level playing field.
So you have no problem with boosters giving high dollars because it will be public knowledge. Sounds brilliant

So you have no problem with boosters giving high dollars because it will be public knowledge. Sounds brilliant
I'm saying it already happens all across the country. What would change is that it will be public.

It's the free market system. It seems to work for professional athletes. What is the difference in your view?

Last edited:

And we swoop on the best mid major or low P5 school guys. Make offers they can’t match, or our boosters step up and pay Garza what he deserves. If he had the opportunity to make more money somewhere he should go there. CREAM.

It does almost seem that what needs to happen is separating our minor league sports from our colleges. Not sure I like that idea though.

Money will still be under the table.

It’s easier to give a kid $100,000 cash vs selling a $1,000,000 worth of tshirts with his name on the back so he gets the same $100,000

actually it would be closer to $2,000,000 in Tshirts ales since royalty is on wholesale not retail.

Nike has no shortage of funds to essentially bankroll every Oregon Duck for the next century, to excessive means. The NCAA'S money-grubbing methods have lead to this. BTW, anybody think that JBo isn't perfectly setting himself up to be a premiere student-athlete rep for NIL purposes? I think he is slyly laying the foundation whilst a student athlete.

Nike has no shortage of funds to essentially bankroll every Oregon Duck for the next century, to excessive means. The NCAA'S money-grubbing methods have lead to this. BTW, anybody think that JBo isn't perfectly setting himself up to be a premiere student-athlete rep for NIL purposes? I think he is slyly laying the foundation whilst a student athlete.
JBo better get a law degree if that is his intent. There are sharks in the water and he is a guppie.

I’m all for athletes benefitting from their intellectual property. Ie hold camps.
the nil will ultimately end in another tier of college athletics.
Universities in small population centers will struggle the most leading to a separate division of schools that are scholarship only.
universities like Nebraska with no competition will essentially go back to unlimited scholarship days. Think drew Ott not choosing Iowa but going to nebraska via some seed dealer.
unpaid taxes leading to ineligibility with gets paid off by some shady third party.
nike having a much larger influence. Teams with subsets of apparel deals influencing who plays causing team disruption.
this doesn’t end well
Has anyone ever sat down and calculated how much $$ college athletes get spent on them. Travel, facilities, scholarships, tutors ,trainers, on the job prep, food, drinks, stipends,... Then consider there are some 180,000 scholarship athletes. That number always thrown around about what the ncaa makes gets eaten up quick. Take away donations to athletics by private donors and far fewer schools would generate any revenue.
last on the rant. Let’s stop with the comparisons to other students on scholarship and coaches.
coach Ferentz may make 4.5 million but is that really out of line for a company that has 85 “employees” make over $100,000k per year, is the longest tenured ceo, and consistently outperforms his peers.

You're right OP. They should get tuition, room, board, health care, training facilities, coaching and tutors. I mean, it's only fair that they get something. 🤓
Like a lot of people, I'm not in love with the NCAA or an expert on anything really related to them, but they're not just gathering up all this money and keeping it for themselves.

Most of the money the NCAA makes (I think the NCAA tournament is worth like $800 million in TV rights alone or something) ends up being distributed to the conferences. The group managing the College Football playoff makes money of the TV rights and ticket sales and whatever else, then they also distribute it to the 10 FBS conferences and independents.

The conferences take this money along with what they make in TV and licensing deals themselves and allocate it to the member schools. That money then goes into each schools' athletic budgets for all kinds of expenses. I think Iowa received almost $55 million in FY 2019.

Anyway TLDR; just because cash isn't going directly in the pockets of athletes doesn't mean they aren't benefiting in numerous ways.

And also, I think the argument current athletes and opponents to this system should be making first is for complete transparency throughout all levels of this. Like an almost line by line accounting of cash inflows and outflows, what employees are making, what outside people and companies are being paid for their services, etc. At least then you can identify what's really going on and critique what you think is improper or unnecessary.

I don’t believe the free market will ruin this. There’s not enough rich fools working that, but gambling money. Now we’re talking. I think it is more likely a player goes 2 for 9 at the free throw line & your team wins because you paid $3 grand for a couple tshirts.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
You talk like players are commodities.

The universities that they play for is what people care about and is what actually gives most of these players their “value.” Without the Hawkeye logo associated with him, no one would care about Jordan Bohannon’s podcast, having him in commercials, etc.

That association with the university team is what opens more doors to opportunities that most college students don’t get right out of college. They can easily go get good paying jobs, start podcast, etc. because they played for the team.

It’s like an internship on steroids. You put in work for “little” (highly debatable) compensation up front and are rewarded with long term opportunities other students don’t get (at least not as frequently).

They want to focus on what they get during their 4 years but disregard the benefits they get after they leave because of playing on the team.
This take is right on.

I’m all for athletes benefitting from their intellectual property. Ie hold camps.
the nil will ultimately end in another tier of college athletics.
Universities in small population centers will struggle the most leading to a separate division of schools that are scholarship only.
universities like Nebraska with no competition will essentially go back to unlimited scholarship days. Think drew Ott not choosing Iowa but going to nebraska via some seed dealer.
unpaid taxes leading to ineligibility with gets paid off by some shady third party.
nike having a much larger influence. Teams with subsets of apparel deals influencing who plays causing team disruption.
this doesn’t end well
Has anyone ever sat down and calculated how much $$ college athletes get spent on them. Travel, facilities, scholarships, tutors ,trainers, on the job prep, food, drinks, stipends,... Then consider there are some 180,000 scholarship athletes. That number always thrown around about what the ncaa makes gets eaten up quick. Take away donations to athletics by private donors and far fewer schools would generate any revenue.
last on the rant. Let’s stop with the comparisons to other students on scholarship and coaches.
coach Ferentz may make 4.5 million but is that really out of line for a company that has 85 “employees” make over $100,000k per year, is the longest tenured ceo, and consistently outperforms his peers.
A lot of sense in this. Well done.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
just think, schools that have huge boosters and those boosters would then be able to give athletes no show jobs.
Put them on the payroll, write them off as a business expense as well so we would all be paying for players for all of the schools.
Teams in the SEC are chomping at the bit for this to become reality.
UCLA in the 60's was great but does anyone really think they would have been that great without the one friend of the program?
extremely slippery slope we are on with this one...

The NIL is problematic and needs to be well implemented for it not to become a dirty cesspool and ruin college sports.

Some Basic Rules:
1) Scholarships stay unchanged as one year contracts and they can't make money using NIL. At the start of a new contract athletes can choose to opt out for NIL Scholarship Contract.
2) NIL Scholarship Contract athletes can make money. They still count for scholarship limits but if the athlete makes above a certain amount for the year then the schooling must be paid for by the NIL athletes themselves so no more free ride.
3) NIL Scholarship Contract athletes need to have all income reported to the university or NCAA and verifiable. Violations will result in suspension, possible expulsion and the school could face standard NCAA punishments.
4) NCAA needs to create a standard, boilerplate NIL Scholarship Contract that all member schools will use and will no be altered for any reason unless voted upon by all member schools. The contract will lay out the rights and responsibility of the parties involved and ideally allow the NCAA investigators the right investigate violations up to and including the athletes tax returns.

Obviously this won't curb everything but its a fair way forward. I suspect none of this will happen though and college sports to become ruined.

BTW, anybody think that JBo isn't perfectly setting himself up to be a premiere student-athlete rep for NIL purposes? I think he is slyly laying the foundation whilst a student athlete.

After listening to Bohannon's discussion on the Hawkeye Podcast with Jon Miller, I am far from convinced that Bohannon has the "chops" to be the "premiere student-athlete rep" to carry water for NIL purposes.

That written, I am also convinced that Bohannon thoroughly believes that he has the "chops" to be the "premiere student-athlete rep" to carry water for NIL purposes.

He likes to use buzz phrases ("shut up and dribble" "corrupt NCAA" "bogus non-profit") to support his opinions but I didn't get a whole lot of substance from what he was saying.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT