ADVERTISEMENT

The Dark Underbelly of NIL

So ... the slippery slope will be millionaire boosters giving even more of their money to players? That sounds like progress to me. **** the fat cats, let them have to waste more money. Those scum bags shouldn't have any money any way. But they do and I'd be happy if student athletes drained as much money from them as possible.

They need to just create a development leagues for the NFL and NBA. Then the players can choose to earn or not. Try to get back to college athletes being real students. If the players choose college then they would have no room to bitch.

They need to just create a development leagues for the NFL and NBA. Then the players can choose to earn or not. Try to get back to college athletes being real students. If the players choose college then they would have no room to bitch.
This, in theory.

Make a clearer distinction between college as a de facto developmental system for pro leagues and the actual self-identified pro developmental leagues. Seems likely that it would primarily hurt the schools who bring in the one and done for men's CBB and the five stars in football. Maybe bring more parity into play.
More likely this situation would help, rather than hurt, teams like Iowa.

I'm saying it already happens all across the country. What would change is that it will be public.

It's the free market system. It seems to work for professional athletes. What is the difference in your view?
So then you are also in favor of once a player signs a commitment to a school that they can not transfer to another school until they have used their 4 years of eligibility.
After all a pro can not just switch teams until their contract ( 4 year scholarship for college athletes) expires even if there is a change of coaches.
I would be for that. This would definitely level the recruiting field as schools like Bama wouldn't be able to persuade players to leave their program so that they can up grade at a position.

How about applying a rule for NIL that could potentially increase graduation rates, reduce one-and-dones, reduce massive transfer portal numbers, and prevent the big dogs from poaching the little guys?

Answer: To qualify for NIL, you must complete one full season at your current school in good academic standing. From that point on at your school, provided you remain in good academic standing, you qualify for NIL.

The big question still remains as to how the money is monitored (is there a cap, by the school or NCAA, etc.)?

Does that seem more plausible?

Reactions: Sivert

I think I'd be on board with this. "Purify" the college game somewhat.

Tom Osborne once had a "adopt a player" scheme going in the late 1970s...essentially fans/boosters would designate a player to "do things for"...have a player over for Sunday dinner says Tom (leave with an envelope wink wink). In early 1980's the NCAA gave them a small wrist slap for that and told them it was illegal... and some other things that sounded like blatant recruiting cheating.

I can only imagine what will go on now there with this open invitation to pay players...and Frost in desperate situation to win.

No one thinks that would be a huge problem for the women sports? They dont Make money. Only football and basketball. Some come close or make a little above breakeven. The end of college sports as e know it

I can already hear the commercials
Women's sports matter wsm

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT