ADVERTISEMENT

The day the duck hunters died.

and-it-was-also-the-night-that-the-skeletons-came-to-life-alan.gif

Great, but sad stories. I’ve navigated a canoe on some tough waters in the pitch dark to get to some hidden honey holes. A few times I’ve realized one little f-up and I might not make it home. Can’t imagine what it’d be like to have those conditions pop up with little to no warning.

I've read many accounts of the armistice day storm of '40. Waterfowlers simply call it "The day the duck hunters died". This might be the best overview, enjoy.

I’ve got the book “All Hell Broke Loose” which is first hand accounts of the Armistice Day Blizzard. Fun read, and I love any and all stories surrounding that day.

I almost died one day duck hunting. Or at least felt like it.

13 years old. Sitting with dad in the truck at Sweets Marsh. Last day of the season and about 230, so daylight was slim. Watching hoards of Mallards land and take off near the dike. It was all of 30 degrees out that day. He knew the area, the lay of the land.

Asks me if I want to go for it. Abso effing lutely.

Waders. Both had a bag of decoys. Got our guns ready. There was a thin layer of ice in between all the cattails. We were the only ones out there. Our black lab was excited and ready to get out.

He lead the way. Breaking through the thin ice layer every step of the about the mile trek out to the spot he was thinking. Finally got to the area just outside the channel off the dike. The channel was really deep. We set up about 20 yards off of it.

Amazing views. Large flocks constantly lighting and taking off. An hour there we almost had our limit. I was out looking for something Hawk, our lab, couldn’t find. All of the sudden another bunch just took flight.

I, stupidly, leaned back shooting almost straight up. Got one, but a bunch of freezing water flowed down my backside. Went and got my duck and help drag Hawk through a few stubborn weeds back to where dad was. Not too long later he shot another we got the limit and started heading back. By now the sun is low on the horizon.

I’m freezing, wasn’t until we got back to the truck I even mentioned that water got in. My legs were straight up Blue. Which we barely were able to see as the there was little light. I finally saw how bad at home after changing.

Got the heater on in the truck. Got me home. Spent the night under about 8 blankets.

A core memory indeed. Maybe I didn’t almost die, but I’ve always felt like I was 5 minutes from life threatening hypothermia.

I miss duck hunting. Don’t miss the smell.

When I was a kid (early 1970's), the old timers up in Guttenberg used to talk about this storm. Crazy stuff. I guess a lot of hunters were out hunting and were caught out in boats and the river islands when it blew in.

A side note, this storm took out the Tacoma Narrows Bridge a few days earlier. Here's the famous video of this.

When I was a kid (early 1970's), the old timers up in Guttenberg used to talk about this storm. Crazy stuff. I guess a lot of hunters were out hunting and were caught out in boats and the river islands when it blew in.

A side note, this storm took out the Tacoma Narrows Bridge a few days earlier. Here's the famous video of this.

This storm is almost mythical for hunters now. Due to an Indian summer there were almost no ducks in the upper Midwest prior to this storm and it pushed ALL the migration down. Those that made it talk about it being the best hunting day of their life, yet many died.

It's important to also remember they didn't have advanced weather notice, cell phones, goretex or even reliable outboard motors. It was truly the "perfect storm" of duck hunting.

I think someone should make a movie about it, it would be a hell of alot better than the 5 version of whatever franchise or remake.

I almost died one day duck hunting. Or at least felt like it.

13 years old. Sitting with dad in the truck at Sweets Marsh. Last day of the season and about 230, so daylight was slim. Watching hoards of Mallards land and take off near the dike. It was all of 30 degrees out that day. He knew the area, the lay of the land.

Asks me if I want to go for it. Abso effing lutely.

Waders. Both had a bag of decoys. Got our guns ready. There was a thin layer of ice in between all the cattails. We were the only ones out there. Our black lab was excited and ready to get out.

He lead the way. Breaking through the thin ice layer every step of the about the mile trek out to the spot he was thinking. Finally got to the area just outside the channel off the dike. The channel was really deep. We set up about 20 yards off of it.

Amazing views. Large flocks constantly lighting and taking off. An hour there we almost had our limit. I was out looking for something Hawk, our lab, couldn’t find. All of the sudden another bunch just took flight.

I, stupidly, leaned back shooting almost straight up. Got one, but a bunch of freezing water flowed down my backside. Went and got my duck and help drag Hawk through a few stubborn weeds back to where dad was. Not too long later he shot another we got the limit and started heading back. By now the sun is low on the horizon.

I’m freezing, wasn’t until we got back to the truck I even mentioned that water got in. My legs were straight up Blue. Which we barely were able to see as the there was little light. I finally saw how bad at home after changing.

Got the heater on in the truck. Got me home. Spent the night under about 8 blankets.

A core memory indeed. Maybe I didn’t almost die, but I’ve always felt like I was 5 minutes from life threatening hypothermia.

I miss duck hunting. Don’t miss the smell.
Thank you. Love stories like this. Glad you got home.

Reactions: 4ohs
This storm is almost mythical for hunters now. Due to an Indian summer there were almost no ducks in the upper Midwest prior to this storm and it pushed ALL the migration down. Those that made it talk about it being the best hunting day of their life, yet many died.

It's important to also remember they didn't have advanced weather notice, cell phones, goretex or even reliable outboard motors. It was truly the "perfect storm" of duck hunting.

I think someone should make a movie about it, it would be a hell of alot better than the 5 version of whatever franchise or remake.

Here's a good write-up on it from the NWS.

yikes

"Historical Background

Weather observations, forecasts and warnings were much different in 1940 and so were the ways people received information. Until 1934 the Weather Bureau offices operated 12-15 hours a day with two basic observations taken at 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. The observations were transmitted via telegraph. There were no satellite images and few upper air observations. In the Midwest the Chicago District issued weather forecasts for Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota. Weather Bureau forecasts, which were issued mid morning and mid evening, were brief and general. Distribution methods ranged from reports in newspapers, on cards displayed in the lobbies of public buildings, radio broadcasts, or by telegraph. "

Then...

"Hunters taking advantage of the holiday and extremely mild weather were rewarded with an overabundance of waterfowl. Many would later comment that they had never seen so many birds, but the birds knew something most of the hunters didn’t. They were getting out of the way of an approaching storm.

Across the Midwest hundreds of duck hunters, not dressed for the cold, were overtaken by the storm. Winds came suddenly then masses of ducks arrived flying low to the ground. Hunters, awed by the site of unending flocks of birds, failed to recognize the impending weather signs that a change was in process. Rain started and temperatures fell rapidly. By the time the rain, sleet, then heavy snow reduced the visibility to zero, hunters lost their opportunities to return safely to shore. Hundreds of duck hunters lost boats, gear and guns as 15 foot swells and 70 -80 mph winds swept down channels and marshy backwaters. Some hunters drowned, others froze to death when the near 60 degree temperatures plummeted, first to freezing, then into the single digits."

1940's huh, gotta be Climate Change that caused it. If they had EV's back then the storm would have never happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT