ADVERTISEMENT

The Demise of the Big 12 would be good for Iowa

paednoch23

HR MVP
Oct 23, 2009
I've always said this. Having 2 P5 football programs in this tiny state without pro sports does nothing but hold back Iowa. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio, and Nebraska*. All of those states save NE have much larger population bases. If the BIG 12 goes away and clowntown goes MAC/MWC and irrelevant it could be nothing but good for the Iowa program.

Yes, I would agree wholeheartedly with the OP. I have always felt the same way, that if we could only have the entire state to ourselves, it would only help us.

But the thing about this expanded Big10 that really bothers me is the increased level of competition. If we end up having to add USC and Oregon and the likes on a regular basis, I mean, we will be lucky to pull 7-5 seasons, which would not make any of us too happy. It is going to end up like the NFL where there is so much parity and very few teams have impressive won-loss records.

Yes, I would agree wholeheartedly with the OP. I have always felt the same way, that if we could only have the entire state to ourselves, it would only help us.

But the thing about this expanded Big10 that really bothers me is the increased level of competition. If we end up having to add USC and Oregon and the likes on a regular basis, I mean, we will be lucky to pull 7-5 seasons, which would not make any of us too happy. It is going to end up like the NFL where there is so much parity and very few teams have impressive won-loss records.
Frankly I just don't see that at all. We've come along way in the last 4 decades. The thing to remember is its not us and the BIG adjusting to their style of play it will be those left coast teams that will have to adjust to OUR style of play, climate etc.... WE have the advantage in my book. First off whatever Riley does at USC remains to be seen, and Oregon is not consistent. Whenever we play them in the past its usually on their turf. Now the tables have turned. Whether we play them in Sept. (when it might be 95 degrees in Kinnick), and wouldn't be nearly as hot or humid in LA, or if its November and they'll have to adjust to the extremes, not us. Also the travel issue is huge, and thats also in our favor. We may have one or two long trips to the coast every year, but their most likely going to have FOUR or FIVE lllooonnnggg trips every year, some may be all the way to the other coast depending if we have divisions and how thats worked out. I'm not concerned in anyway with playing these teams, and i think their adjustment will be considerably harder the ours.....

Frankly I just don't see that at all. We've come along way in the last 4 decades. The thing to remember is its not us and the BIG adjusting to their style of play it will be those left coast teams that will have to adjust to OUR style of play, climate etc.... WE have the advantage in my book. First off whatever Riley does at USC remains to be seen, and Oregon is not consistent. Whenever we play them in the past its usually on their turf. Now the tables have turned. Whether we play them in Sept. (when it might be 95 degrees in Kinnick), and wouldn't be nearly as hot or humid in LA, or if its November and they'll have to adjust to the extremes, not us. Also the travel issue is huge, and thats also in our favor. We may have one or two long trips to the coast every year, but their most likely going to have FOUR or FIVE lllooonnnggg trips every year, some may be all the way to the other coast depending if we have divisions and how thats worked out. I'm not concerned in anyway with playing these teams, and i think their adjustment will be considerably harder the ours.....
Great points. In addition I think USC & UCLA will struggle for awhile in the B1G. Sure the one-off games from time to time where they can showcase their "speed" and talent in their environment they've had success, but in a long big10 season combine the weather, the travel, new environment and the physicality of the B10 - they'll have a lot to adjust to and it will be difficult. They will get beat up.

I've always said this. Having 2 P5 football programs in this tiny state without pro sports does nothing but hold back Iowa. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio, and Nebraska*. All of those states save NE have much larger population bases. If the BIG 12 goes away and clowntown goes MAC/MWC and irrelevant it could be nothing but good for the Iowa program.
I think poaching USC and UCLA from the PAC 12 will help the Big 12. Adding remnants of the PAC 12 just may give the conference new life. The ACC should be worried. Will grant of rights hold up if everyone abandons the conference?

Usc and UCLA just don't feel like a good fit in the BIG.
Definitely different but geography does not make any difference anymore. For the Big 10 it's about the eyeballs and the TV contracts. Academics play a part of this as well but it's. $$$.

Reactions: MitchLL
When you look at the business model of the B10, is paying Rutgers 100 million a year sustainable? Payment are being made to Universities that far exceed the revenue they produce.

I suspect this issue will be addressed in the future.

Iowa State is in a good spot. They don't have to face Oklahoma, and will be one of the premier teams in the Big 12. As a potential conference champion, they have an easier route to the playoff than Iowa. The Big 12 is going to come out of this in better shape than people think. There are many networks for college football, and lets hope
USC and UCLA can eliminate the curse on the Big Ten of having Maryland and Rutgers. Am tired of watching
Marylands women lacrosse team on the Big Ten Network

The direction of the Big 12 is of little interest to me. Besides, what I think doesn't make any difference. Notre Dame is waiting to see what conference they can join and dominate. The Big 12 might be perfect for them. I'm sure they are dying to play in Ames.....

Notre Dame is not waiting for a conference that they can dominate. They’re pretty much already in one now with the ACC. Just not really in the conference.

Notre Dame is waiting to be pseudo independent as long as they can until they’re left out of the playoff system. Once that happens, they’ll be forced to join the B1G (most likely) or SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoks2415 and rchawk
I don't want the demise of any other conferences (ACC, B12, or PAC12).

We're the Big Conferences (B1G & SEC), and they're the Little Conferences, period

Cord cutting is happening at a fairly significant rate, as people shift to streaming services. Once revenue is tied to what the consumers will pay for, that model will not survive long term.
I think the day of a cable bundles are numbered as costs continue to rise.
What percentage of homes now have (phone) land lines? This could also happen to cable TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: amahawk
While the big10 will get in upwards to 100 million in TV revenue per team the Big12 will be lucky to get 35 million per team. Big10 and SEC will eventually add 4 more teams each and make it a super conference league with 40 teams that can qualify for the tier 1 playoffs. The big12 and the misfits from the ACC and PAC12 will make up tier 2 playoffs. No way the misfits in the tier 2 conference will be able to compete with the tier 1 conference.

When you look at the business model of the B10, is paying Rutgers 100 million a year sustainable? Payment are being made to Universities that far exceed the revenue they produce.

Your Scarlet Knight jealousy is as pathetic as your HC's win/loss record against the Hawks.

Cord cutting is happening at a fairly significant rate, as people shift to streaming services. Once revenue is tied to what the consumers will pay for, that model will not survive long term.
What percentage of homes now have (phone) land lines? This could also happen to cable TV.

How many of these cord cutters are streaming ESPN, Fox, Fox Sports, NBC, CBS, BTN, SECtv etc as a stand alone / a la carte service.

I’m guessing many cord cutters still use YouTubetv, Hulu, Sling or some sort of package streaming service.

Reactions: Ree4

In that case, look forward to having to pay your conference to maintain membership.

Iowa State is in a good spot. They don't have to face Oklahoma, and will be one of the premier teams in the Big 12. As a potential conference champion, they have an easier route to the playoff than Iowa. The Big 12 is going to come out of this in better shape than people think. There are many networks for college football, and lets hope
USC and UCLA can eliminate the curse on the Big Ten of having Maryland and Rutgers. Am tired of watching
No one knows exactly how this will end up. If SEC and Big 10 both end up with 20+ teams, hell even if they don't, both conferences will be pushing for no auto qualifiers for whatever the expanded playoff is for the very reason you cite. It is far easier to win a Big 12 without Oklahoma or Texas in it, or a Pac-12 without USC and UCLA, or an ACC without a Clemson. Big 10 and SEC don't want a 9-3 team from their leagues left out of the playoff while a 9-3/10-2 champ from the Big 12 or ACC gets in.

Reactions: iahawks10

They aren't paying Rutgers $100M a year on an island. You are asking the wrong question. Most schools' media rights aren't worth $100M on their own. If the media folks had their druthers, they would pay Ohio State directly way more than that just to televise OSU home games. But the conference has determined that the best way to maximize revenue for everyone is to pool together. OSU, MSU, Penn State, USC go along with this for a couple of reasons:
  • They have to belong to a conference for a lot of ancillary reasons. Including things like giving them an avenue to compete for championships, scheduling, and ease of working in all the other sports besides football.
  • They can make enough both through the media rights and their own donor contributions to allow them to compete nationally.
I get it. You are sitting there as an ISU fan wondering what Iowa did to be included in a conference that has a future, while ISU is a part of one that is debatable. The answer is nothing, it's mostly just fortune that Iowa was included in the Big 10 way back when. If Iowa was not in the Big 10 now, the conference would not be considering adding Iowa. Just like ISU is a non-starter for being added to the Big 10. Schools from a state with a population of 3M that isn't growing and without any major metro areas are not any big catch for a conference. They just aren't. I say this as an Iowa native.

I do think eventually this race for consolidation and maximization of revenues does not end up good for college athletics as a whole. But no one is willing to get off the merry go round at this point.

ISU is in the same spot, maybe worse, because the combo of BYU/Cincy is better than the combination of OU/Texas. Within 5 years, Houston/USF likely pass ISU in success in football.

Hard to envision Cloneville ever experiencing a conference title.

Reactions: kceasthawk
You mean for as long as their second rate conference is allowed to participate in the same playoff. I doubt that lasts much longer. Also I think your overlooking the recruiting angle. will IsWho be able to recruit good enough players to compete even with OKState, KSU, TCU, Cincy, BYU, Houston, and USF, once these kids know their playing basically Tier 2 ball? There done recruiting any top players out of Iowa even if they wanted to. Can they develop talent from the mostly 2 stars and some three's to stay respectable on an ever declining budget?

Usc and UCLA just don't feel like a good fit in the BIG.
Significantly better fit than clown fans and reality. That is an adversarial relationship that goes back as long as isu’s last co-championship in football.

Everyone knows isu has NEVER WON AN OUTRIGHT FOOTBALL CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP.

Yikes

Last edited:
Reactions: iahawks10
You mean for as long as their second rate conference is allowed to participate in the same playoff. I doubt that lasts much longer. Also I think your overlooking the recruiting angle. will IsWho be able to recruit good enough players to compete even with OKState, KSU, TCU, Cincy, BYU, Houston, and USF, once these kids know their playing basically Tier 2 ball? There done recruiting any top players out of Iowa even if they wanted to. Can they develop talent from the mostly 2 stars and some three's to stay respectable on an ever declining budget?
I think there is alot of head in sand regarding ISU Athletics. I simply do not see anything more than 2 power conferences with their own playoff system. The best kids in the country will be choosing most of those schools over Tier 2. I'm fairly convinced that in 10 years Iowa State will be a MAC type of school and not playing Iowa every year.

I think there is alot of head in sand regarding ISU Athletics. I simply do not see anything more than 2 power conferences with their own playoff system. The best kids in the country will be choosing most of those schools over Tier 2. I'm fairly convinced that in 10 years Iowa State will be a MAC type of school and not playing Iowa every year.
Doesn't matter...5* culture, baby!

And to further prove recruiting is already suffering, lil Matty just lost a DL recruit to Washington and some fans are saying that's ok because they already have two lower rated guys committed. They're falling like a rock in the 2023 recruiting rankings...well outside the top 30 and trending lower.

Campball can't lose when fans apologize like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: IAGuy

Brand is becoming more important than number of TV sets. Thus, the reason usc and ucla are huge big ten gets.

NYC cable packages..no more need to talk about it.
Such a Big XII fan or old geezer take to keep talking about Rutgers or Maryland in this light … honestly, if there were one school who could be “least valuable” to the Big Ten, it might actually be Purdue. And they’re still valuable! The Big Ten is where it is because (1) every school brings SOMETHING to the table, and (2) we DON’T fall into the Texas line of thinking and share revenue equally. Ohio State knows perfectly well that it has it made, and it’s fine not getting “its fair share” financially.

Reactions: kceasthawk
ISU is in the same spot, maybe worse, because the combo of BYU/Cincy is better than the combination of OU/Texas. Within 5 years, Houston/USF likely pass ISU in success in football.

Hard to envision Cloneville ever experiencing a conference title.

FYI, it’s not USF. It’s UCF.

Texas has been Nebraska lately. But Oklahoma has been solid for decades.

Reactions: MitchLL
FYI, it’s not USF. It’s UCF.

Texas has been Nebraska lately. But Oklahoma has been solid for decades.
Thanks for the correction.

But my point remains, I think UCF, being in a recruiting hot bed with increased visibility in a new conference, will be a power in a watered down Big12.

Such a Big XII fan or old geezer take to keep talking about Rutgers or Maryland in this light … honestly, if there were one school who could be “least valuable” to the Big Ten, it might actually be Purdue. And they’re still valuable! The Big Ten is where it is because (1) every school brings SOMETHING to the table, and (2) we DON’T fall into the Texas line of thinking and share revenue equally. Ohio State knows perfectly well that it has it made, and it’s fine not getting “its fair share” financially.
I’m glad to see you praising the virtue of Ohio State. The irony is that the Big 10 just invited 2 teams, with over a 100 year history with another conference.
I am a fan of college football and I will argue that moves such as this is not good for the game. OU, TX , USC and UCLA made the choice is more important than the game itself.
We also now have fans of conferences rather than there own team. The next step will be fans cheering on there broadcast partners.
Texas has had revenue of 100 million a year for sometime and yet they haven’t really competed better than universities with half of that amount.

I’m glad to see you praising the virtue of Ohio State. The irony is that the Big 10 just invited 2 teams, with over a 100 year history with another conference.
I am a fan of college football and I will argue that moves such as this is not good for the game. OU, TX , USC and UCLA made the choice is more important than the game itself.
We also now have fans of conferences rather than there own team. The next step will be fans cheering on there broadcast partners.
Texas has had revenue of 100 million a year for sometime and yet they haven’t really competed better than universities with half of that amount.
Texas got lazy in the watered down big12. They'll have to step up or be a doormat in the SEC......

Nope...I’m a fan of the Hawkeyes more than the Big 10 Conference. However, the massive $$$ from the conference’s TV contract that filter down to the individual teams (including Iowa) certainly helps the Hawkeye’s program.

one could argue that this makes it better, better games, new rivalries. I guess it is different being a fan of a team in a conference where teams leave all the time instead of a conference where nobody leaves and everyone wants in.

People are fans of the conference more than their own team?

$125 million of revenue certainly helps support football and other programs. One could argue that great success on the field has little to do with it, if it did, Iowa State would be in the SEC instead of Texas as you noted. lol

Why is OU, Texas, USC, and UCLA moving bad for the game? if people cared about the smaller conferences or non SEC and Big 10 games, they would have better ratings

one could argue that this makes it better, better games, new rivalries. I guess it is different being a fan of a team in a conference where teams leave all the time instead of a conference where nobody leaves and everyone wants in.

People are fans of the conference more than their own team?

$125 million of revenue certainly helps support football and other programs. One could argue that great success on the field has little to do with it, if it did, Iowa State would be in the SEC instead of Texas as you noted. lol

Why is OU, Texas, USC, and UCLA moving bad for the game? if people cared about the smaller conferences or non SEC and Big 10 games, they would have better ratings
isu desperately trying to be the champions of the “leftover and left behind league”. I see there was a study done recently showing the top fan bases across the country for College Football. Iowa is I think #40 with around 2.4m while the clowns are #64 with amount to about 0.8M. I can’t figure out why the Big Ten isn’t breaking down doors to get the clowns. I guess that Story County TV market just isn’t that lucrative.

More “reality” that must be ignored for clown fans.

ADVERTISEMENT