ADVERTISEMENT

The difference between winners and losers...

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Is a main theme of this week's TwT (which I neglected to post yesterday, sorry).

Do the Hawkeyes have one more gut-check victory left in them or will Big Blue stomp them on the way to the CFP?

Tuesdays with Torbee​

The Hawkeyes celebrate their tenth win of the season.

Tory Brecht
Columnist

“You are what your record says you are, and never mind how you got that way,” Bill Parcells

The Big Tuna was certainly not the first coach to trot out this hoary sports cliché, but he is its most famous champion.

Last Friday in Lincoln, the truth underlying the observation was once again laid bare.

For around three quarters of the battle for the Heroes Trophy, the 3-8 Nebraska Cornhuskers looked like the better team. The Huskers’ young quarterback confidently ran an old school-looking option and the vaunted black shirts defense stymied the mistake-prone Iowa offense enough to build a 21-9 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

But because water always finds its level, the outcome was really never in doubt. Iowa – a team that consistently finds unique and head-scratching paths to victory – made key plays and remained focused and disciplined. Nebraska – a team that consistently finds new and unique ways to stub its own toe – predictably tightened up and made devastating, game-losing mistakes.
So it was ordained, so it became so.

What I don’t want to hear is how Iowa was “lucky” or “dodged a bullet.” Yes, the 28-21 win was achieved despite the Hawkeyes only scoring one offensive touchdown (on a banal quarterback sneak, no less.) But luck had nothing to do with the game-turning plays Iowa made.

Luck also had nothing to do with Caleb Shudak being an unflappable, iron lock on field goals, one of which surpassed 50 yards on a blustery Nebraska afternoon. And luck absolutely played zero factor in the brilliant punt block play installed by Iowa special teams coach LeVar Woods and executed to perfection by Henry Marchese and Kyler Fisher that changed the momentum of the entire game.
The thing is, Iowa is built to withstand and overcome adversity. Nebraska is destined to wilt under pressure. So it was ordained, so it became so. You are who your record says you are, and Iowa are winners and Cornhuskers are losers.

Thanks to unexpected but welcome help from a Minnesota team that gave Iowa all it could handle earlier this month, the gritty Hawkeyes find themselves Big 10 West Division champions with a date to take on a Michigan team that exorcised its scarlet and gray demons in a championship game no one saw coming.

There is some delicious irony in the fact Iowa clawed its way to a division title in a season where its critics (most claiming to be fans of the team they disparage) used the lack of recent first-place finishes to insist the Ferentz approach to winning games was fatal to conference title hopes.

Iowa now is only the fifth of the 14 Big 10 teams to reach multiple Big 10 title games. Ohio State and Wisconsin lead with six appearances each; Michigan State has been there three times with Iowa and Northwestern at two each. Michigan is making its first appearance and joins Nebraska and Penn State as the other one-time participants.
Be honest – if in 2014 when the title game was instituted and someone told you Iowa would reach the championship game more often than Michigan, Penn State and Nebraska, you wouldn’t have believed them, would you?

The Hawkeyes are double-digit underdogs against Michigan, which is fair. While Iowa has scrambled and played from behind in several of its recent wins, the Wolverines have been rolling. Jim Harbaugh finally has the kind of team he’s wanted – able to run the ball in a punishing style and disrupt opposing offenses with overwhelming talent on the defensive line.
But I don’t think the mountain is impossible for Iowa to climb. With the offensive line finally getting regular push, Tyler Goodson finding his fleet footing and the defense and special teams remaining opportunistic and hungry, there is a path to (undoubtedly ugly) victory.

The Nebraska team Iowa held to 21 points put up 29 in a three-point loss to Michigan. Rutgers only fell to the Wolverines 20-13 at the Big House. While the task is immense, it is not impossible. Besides, the West Division team has never won this game in its seven-year history. We are due!

Whether Iowa wins or loses in Indianapolis, I am very curious to see how the 2021 season is evaluated in retrospect. My suspicion is much of the angst and anger engendered by the herky-jerky offense and quarterback controversy will retroactively turn into fondness for the never-say-die resiliency of a team that refused to give up on its season goals despite adversity.

I will be in Indianapolis this coming Saturday, and even if Iowa fails to nab that ever-elusive conference championship trophy, I will salute this tenacious team. This season has been a roller coaster of emotions, but it’s never failed to entertain.

We better get DAMN creative on offense or it will be a curb-stomping of epic proportions. This can't be a run on 1st down, run on 2nd down and throw a 4-yard out on 3rd & 8 type game plan.
Michigan beat Rutgers by 7 at home. Beat Nebraska by even less.

I agree we should be underdogs, but I’m not worried about a curb-stomping.

I think Meechigan is primed for a let down.

Iowa can't turn the ball over, and get they need another defensive or special teams TD.

I see either a very close Iowa win, or a Michigan blowout.

We have to double Hutchinson.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
Is a main theme of this week's TwT (which I neglected to post yesterday, sorry).

Do the Hawkeyes have one more gut-check victory left in them or will Big Blue stomp them on the way to the CFP?

Tuesdays with Torbee​

The Hawkeyes celebrate their tenth win of the season.

Tory Brecht
Columnist

“You are what your record says you are, and never mind how you got that way,” Bill Parcells

The Big Tuna was certainly not the first coach to trot out this hoary sports cliché, but he is its most famous champion.

Last Friday in Lincoln, the truth underlying the observation was once again laid bare.

For around three quarters of the battle for the Heroes Trophy, the 3-8 Nebraska Cornhuskers looked like the better team. The Huskers’ young quarterback confidently ran an old school-looking option and the vaunted black shirts defense stymied the mistake-prone Iowa offense enough to build a 21-9 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

But because water always finds its level, the outcome was really never in doubt. Iowa – a team that consistently finds unique and head-scratching paths to victory – made key plays and remained focused and disciplined. Nebraska – a team that consistently finds new and unique ways to stub its own toe – predictably tightened up and made devastating, game-losing mistakes.
So it was ordained, so it became so.

What I don’t want to hear is how Iowa was “lucky” or “dodged a bullet.” Yes, the 28-21 win was achieved despite the Hawkeyes only scoring one offensive touchdown (on a banal quarterback sneak, no less.) But luck had nothing to do with the game-turning plays Iowa made.

Luck also had nothing to do with Caleb Shudak being an unflappable, iron lock on field goals, one of which surpassed 50 yards on a blustery Nebraska afternoon. And luck absolutely played zero factor in the brilliant punt block play installed by Iowa special teams coach LeVar Woods and executed to perfection by Henry Marchese and Kyler Fisher that changed the momentum of the entire game.
The thing is, Iowa is built to withstand and overcome adversity. Nebraska is destined to wilt under pressure. So it was ordained, so it became so. You are who your record says you are, and Iowa are winners and Cornhuskers are losers.

Thanks to unexpected but welcome help from a Minnesota team that gave Iowa all it could handle earlier this month, the gritty Hawkeyes find themselves Big 10 West Division champions with a date to take on a Michigan team that exorcised its scarlet and gray demons in a championship game no one saw coming.

There is some delicious irony in the fact Iowa clawed its way to a division title in a season where its critics (most claiming to be fans of the team they disparage) used the lack of recent first-place finishes to insist the Ferentz approach to winning games was fatal to conference title hopes.

Iowa now is only the fifth of the 14 Big 10 teams to reach multiple Big 10 title games. Ohio State and Wisconsin lead with six appearances each; Michigan State has been there three times with Iowa and Northwestern at two each. Michigan is making its first appearance and joins Nebraska and Penn State as the other one-time participants.
Be honest – if in 2014 when the title game was instituted and someone told you Iowa would reach the championship game more often than Michigan, Penn State and Nebraska, you wouldn’t have believed them, would you?

The Hawkeyes are double-digit underdogs against Michigan, which is fair. While Iowa has scrambled and played from behind in several of its recent wins, the Wolverines have been rolling. Jim Harbaugh finally has the kind of team he’s wanted – able to run the ball in a punishing style and disrupt opposing offenses with overwhelming talent on the defensive line.
But I don’t think the mountain is impossible for Iowa to climb. With the offensive line finally getting regular push, Tyler Goodson finding his fleet footing and the defense and special teams remaining opportunistic and hungry, there is a path to (undoubtedly ugly) victory.

The Nebraska team Iowa held to 21 points put up 29 in a three-point loss to Michigan. Rutgers only fell to the Wolverines 20-13 at the Big House. While the task is immense, it is not impossible. Besides, the West Division team has never won this game in its seven-year history. We are due!

Whether Iowa wins or loses in Indianapolis, I am very curious to see how the 2021 season is evaluated in retrospect. My suspicion is much of the angst and anger engendered by the herky-jerky offense and quarterback controversy will retroactively turn into fondness for the never-say-die resiliency of a team that refused to give up on its season goals despite adversity.

I will be in Indianapolis this coming Saturday, and even if Iowa fails to nab that ever-elusive conference championship trophy, I will salute this tenacious team. This season has been a roller coaster of emotions, but it’s never failed to entertain.
Good work, T

I understand, Torbee, but they also handled Ohio State, bigly. They handled them at a time when Ohio State was beating the balls off everyone. Just hoping we take advantage of the opportunity and catch them off guard somehow. I loved our game plan at Maryland. They were clearly expecting us to run and were not prepared when we came out in spread formation.

We better get DAMN creative on offense or it will be a curb-stomping of epic proportions. This can't be a run on 1st down, run on 2nd down and throw a 4-yard out on 3rd & 8 type game plan.
We better not turn the ball over (see Wisconsin game) or it'll be a curb stomping.

Iowa has a recipe for winning. Field position, ball control etc.....the "creativity" has to be within that framework.

I would after they dropped the whole legends and leaders thing and just went with the big 10 east and big 10 west. Once that happened it became clear that Penn State and Michigan had a big Ohio State roadblock between them and the title game while Nebraska was not at all the powerhouse it was in the '90's.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Coach Ferentz builds strong character in his players
and they respond to adversity. They never give up
regardless of the score and that is why they finished
at 10-2 record. Michigan is a good team but Iowa will
play them tough for 4 quarters. Hope they beat the
Wolverines on Saturday

Good story. Offense was seemingly better than the one offensive TD. Only minor quibble:

"Be honest – if in 2014 when the title game was instituted and someone told you Iowa would reach the championship game more often than Michigan, Penn State and Nebraska, you wouldn’t have believed them, would you?"

The lack of appearances by Michigan and PSU wouldn't have been hard to believe given they have OSU in their division and neither Michigan or PSU were very good in 2014.

Those were the Greg Davis years. Frankly, we throw on first down quite often this year. But if the pass is incomplete, you can bet your ass we're running on 2nd and 10.

We better not turn the ball over (see Wisconsin game) or it'll be a curb stomping.

Iowa has a recipe for winning. Field position, ball control etc.....the "creativity" has to be within that framework.

Iowa is probably going to need to win the turnover margin by +2 to have a chance if you ask me.

Honestly any team playing Iowa if they just play ball control offense they will probably win.

Reactions: torbee
Iowa is probably going to need to win the turnover margin by +2 to have a chance if you ask me.

Honestly any team playing Iowa if they just play ball control offense they will probably win.

Every team Iowa played this year played "ball control offense." What, exactly, were our opponent's trying to play?

Good story. Offense was seemingly better than the one offensive TD.
One thing that never gets mentioned: As opposed to a typical Ferentz team that relies on possession and sustained drives, this year has consistently relied on big plays to score key TDs in wins. Charlie Jones' 100 yard return against Illinois, long pass touchdowns vs Penn State, Colorado State, Maryland and Minnesota.

Reactions: torbee
Nice write-up. It does seem like Iowa fans by and large have decided not to hold it against the team even if they lose this sat. I don't know if that lack of expectation helps or hurts the team -- others may scoff but i do think fan expectations affect performance to some degree.

Also why does LeVar get that upper case V in the middle? Is it coz he spells it that way or is there another reason?

Every team Iowa played this year played "ball control offense." What, exactly, were our opponent's trying to play?

Ball control offense is where you specifically try to avoid taking risks with the football. Short quick passes and running the ball. It means being ok with punting on most of your possessions as long as you score on a few. Not every team does that.

If you don't turn the ball over to Iowa and you make their offense win the game without any benefit of a short field than they can't score very many points.

One thing that never gets mentioned: As opposed to a typical Ferentz team that relies on possession and sustained drives, this year has consistently relied on big plays to score key TDs in wins. Charlie Jones' 100 yard return against Illinois, long pass touchdowns vs Penn State, Colorado State, Maryland and Minnesota.

Yea, when they get open deep, but don't get into the end zone, it seems more times than not we settle for a FG.

Those were the Greg Davis years. Frankly, we throw on first down quite often this year. But if the pass is incomplete, you can bet your ass we're running on 2nd and 10.
We throw behind the sticks on 3rd down quite often.

Regardless, I have no idea where this sense of entitlement comes from with Iowa fans (not you, but there are a lot of fans like this). We are 10 and fvcking 2 FFS and playing for the BIG Championship! Win or lose, I have a hard time believing most Iowa fans saw this coming at the start of the season. Hell, weren’t we supposed to start off 0-2? I just enjoy the ride at this point in life. Good work torbs.

Agree to a point but when teams try out out Kirk Ferentz Kirk Ferentz they're asking for trouble. (see Matt Campbell)

This. Playing the dangerous schedule comparison game, Michigan's results are marginally better than ours. Ohio States results are definitively better than ours.

Michigan is tough, not invincible.

Nice write-up. It does seem like Iowa fans by and large have decided not to hold it against the team even if they lose this sat. I don't know if that lack of expectation helps or hurts the team -- others may scoff but i do think fan expectations affect performance to some degree.

Also why does LeVar get that upper case V in the middle? Is it coz he spells it that way or is there another reason?
That’s how he spells it:

Reactions: desihawk
There are still folks who believe that Ohio St just had
a bad game against Michigan. There is a feeling that
Ohio St is still the better team. Michigan will perhaps
not have the same intensity against Iowa that they
had on their home field against Ohio St. last weekend.

Bottom Line: The Hawkeyes have a chance to win in
Indy and shatter the myth of the "new" Jim Harbaugh.

Iowa and Ferentz have a formula on how to win games and they follow this formula almost every week. As long as the Iowa coaches and player buy into this success, what "we" fans think is unimportant.
I have said this before......cobras and mambas strike quick but there are flaws in their methods. When they "kill" it is often sudden and dramatic and dare I say, spectacular......Iowa is a python/constrictor....Iowa stalks you and once Iowa gets its grip on you, it is just a matter of time. The results are damn near inevitable....and often not pretty.

Go Hawks!

Rick Neuheisel was saying this morning that no opposing coaches like Harbaugh, and I can perfectly understand that. He is a troll.

I think it’s important for each side to remember something:
  1. Michigan played basically a perfect game on Saturday. They were hyped to the max, executed really well and then took over in the 2nd half to dominate OSU. If they play this way again, it’s going to be tough and if Iowa makes mistakes, they could get curb-stomped.
  2. Teams don’t play perfect games very often. I agree, Michigan is right to be a favorite, but if Iowa can go out and do what they do - minimize bit plays, force a couple turnovers, make special teams plays, they’ll have a chance.

have said this before......cobras and mambas strike quick but there are flaws in their methods. When they "kill" it is often sudden and dramatic and dare I say, spectacular......Iowa is a python/constrictor....Iowa stalks you and once Iowa gets its grip on you, it is just a matter of time. The results are damn near inevitable....and often not pretty.

I’ve not heard you say this before but it sounds like you know a lot about snakes!

Good job, Torbee. Sexy football is fun to watch. But gritty football is also fun to watch if you're mentally prepared.

ADVERTISEMENT