The Doors were one of the very best rock bands of all time

• Yes

Votes: 46 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 37 40.2%
  • Maybe, don't know

Votes: 9 9.8%

• Total voters
The doors were quite a bit before my time and have within the last 5-ish years started listening to them. They are one of the all time greats.

They are NOT considered one of the greats because Jim died. They are considered one of the greats because of him. He was an amazing song writer. One of the greatest of all time.

I’ll probably catch flak for this. But this is coming from someone who doesn’t like the Stones or the Beatles. But then again I may not have given them enough attention. Maybe I’ll change my mind in the future.

I'd take the doors over the stones or Beatles every day of the week.

Musicianship wise, they were pretty average. Rush can run circles around the Doors when it comes to musical talent.

Lyrics-wise, they don't really blow anybody away either (except for maybe when Jimbo was puffin on the peace pipe). There's no confusing the Doors' lyrics with those of say, REM.

Presence-wise, they were definitely top-notch. Jimmy had charm and charisma very few rockers have ever possessed. That alone vaults them pretty high (no pun intended).

The doors were quite a bit before my time and have within the last 5-ish years started listening to them. They are one of the all time greats.

They are NOT considered one of the greats because Jim died. They are considered one of the greats because of him. He was an amazing song writer. One of the greatest of all time.

I’ll probably catch flak for this. But this is coming from someone who doesn’t like the Stones or the Beatles. But then again I may not have given them enough attention. Maybe I’ll change my mind in the future.
The Stones and Beatles are better than The Doors, it's just cool to find bands you like better than two legit GOATenders. I'm guilty of it. Right now it's Velvet Underground and Love for me.

The best album between The Stones, Beatles, and The Doors is Revolver AINEC (unless you have a different favorite Beatles album).

Give the Stones a serious listen again,... their biggest failing is that they stayed around too long...

Musicianship wise, they were pretty average. Rush can run circles around the Doors when it comes to musical talent.

Lyrics-wise, they don't really blow anybody away either (except for maybe when Jimbo was puffin on the peace pipe). There's no confusing the Doors' lyrics with those of say, REM.

Presence-wise, they were definitely top-notch. Jimmy had charm and charisma very few rockers have ever possessed. That alone vaults them pretty high (no pun intended).

That's the amazing thing about music; just because an individual or band has more musical talent does not mean the audience will appreciate them more. I appreciate the talent of Rush, but the music they put out doesn't appeal to me in the least.

I've mentioned before in other music threads, the greatest live band I've seen is Widespread Panic and they are far from the most talented musicians that I've seen. I've never seen a band get an audience moving like they do, not a single person not moving.

As for The Doors, I'd take them every day over Rush. No doubt.

Morrison was a big talent no doubt. However Jim was one sick, drug ridden son bitch the last few years of his life. Morrison had a talented group of musicians around him, too. Jim had potential to be much more than he was but he never got to Stones or Beatles status. Morrison’s music career reflected his sickness and disease.

Morrison was a big talent no doubt. However Jim was one sick, drug ridden son bitch the last few years of his life. Morrison had a talented group of musicians around him, too. Jim had potential to be much more than he was but he never got to Stones or Beatles status. Morrison’s music career reflected his sickness and disease.

Yet LA Woman is arguably their best album. I love Morrison Hotel, but LA Woman has its chops.

They don't do anything for me. Good band, with a few really good songs. Put me in the camp that says they're more about celebrity hype around Morrison, exaggerated by his death. There's just so much good music of that era, I just don't find them exceptional.

Plenty of accounts of them being a horrible live band for most of their short existence.

Yeah, I do get that. But the same could be said for Edgar Allan Poe. I don’t think that made either of them any less great.

Me too. Several years ago we had a poll on here about if the Doors were better or if Queen was. I thought it'd be a landslide for the Doors but it was the other way around. It was the first time I realized that many people on this site are stupid! Lol
I wouldn't of expected a Queen landslide, but I would expect them for the win. Interesting.

Man I wouldn't spend much time on Queen either. Technically fantastic but I just can't get excited about it.

Yeah, I do get that. But the same could be said for Edgar Allan Poe. I don’t think that made either of them any less great.

The Doors fit in that slot where there was some funky, shitty music on the scene, and some of their music was funky. Morrison was transitional with his music and personae. He helped usher in visual and audio acceptance of what was to become the counter culture.

Morrison was the Doors.

Reactions: GarryO37
To the original question ... It depends. If you got a good night, they were GREAT, if not, then well, you might not get much music or maybe Jim would keep his back to the audience and mumble or not sing or whatever. I wasn't old enough to catch any live shows but would have been p*ssed if Jim was in a bad mood for my show. I really like their music and wish I could have seen them live in case I hit a good night ;-)

To the original question ... It depends. If you got a good night, they were GREAT, if not, then well, you might not get much music or maybe Jim would keep his back to the audience and mumble or not sing or whatever. I wasn't old enough to catch any live shows but would have been p*ssed if Jim was in a bad mood for my show. I really like their music and wish I could have seen them live in case I hit a good night ;-)

It helps to have observed them to form opinions. Live vs. studio. Morrison's distain for his celebrity.

Did they make enough solid music to be considered a top band? To me, they were trend setting, moved the music scene and were among the best for those reasons.

I have personally placed my chewing gum on the tree adjacent to his final resting place in Paris. One of the busiest sites at Pere La Chaise.
he, Janice, Jimy H..... what wastes of talent!

I spent considerable time, numerous times in Paris and never visited his grave. Bummer.

The novelty of the Beatles was compelling, and a welcome respite from the bubble gum crap from the Bobby Darin, Connie Francis factory. I never got hooked on the Stone's vulgarity and lost the Beatles. The Doors and other bands started bubbling up. Janis Joplin.

Reactions: GarryO37
I spent considerable time, numerous times in Paris and never visited his grave. Bummer.

The novelty of the Beatles was compelling, and a welcome respite from the bubble gum crap from the Bobby Darin, Connie Francis factory. I never got hooked on the Stone's vulgarity and lost the Beatles. The Doors and other bands started bubbling up. Janis Joplin.
The Stones....vulgar but you find Morrison not? Where was it where Morrison pulled his dick out on stage and started jacking off? Mick never came close to that...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT