The Doors were one of the very best rock bands of all time

• Yes

Votes: 46 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 37 40.2%
  • Maybe, don't know

Votes: 9 9.8%

• Total voters
I’ve always thought they were the best American band of all time. The best Doors songs are the ones they never play on the radio.

I think you could make that argument. I've been finding there's something really cathartic about listening to them in 2020, not sure what, exactly.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Damn right.

There are very few bands that ever were as big as they were that you cannot find a comparison stylistically. About as unique a rock band as there ever was.

People like to put musical acts into boxes...blues, heavy metal, punk, funk, R&B, rap, etc. Can't really do that with The Doors.

Nobody like 'em before, nobody really like 'em after.

It's funny. Growing up as a kid/teen I idolized Jim Morrison. Now as an adult I think he was just a drunken frat boy. The rest of the band is great, but I have a much different perspective on Jim.

Last edited:
I'll always wonder what they would have become had Morrison not died.
That’s an interesting question I never really thought of before. I always thought Jimi Hendrix’s later music was amazing and he really would have made some great music if he lived longer. Arguably The Doors worst album The Soft Parade was my favorite and still had great songs. I don’t think they could put out a bad album, they all worked so well together.

Me too. Several years ago we had a poll on here about if the Doors were better or if Queen was. I thought it'd be a landslide for the Doors but it was the other way around. It was the first time I realized that many people on this site are stupid! Lol
Now that's something we can agree on.

Lol, not even a top 20 American band imo. If being unique equals greatness, then Gwar must be the greatest band of all time.
There is a difference between unique and gimmicky. GWAR was a gimmick and a funny gimmick.

z ape, I know from hanging out in some Moscow bars that Russians like The Doors. Are you a bot?

Exceptional band, created a unique sound, and a great lyrical mind- Jim Morrison.
I’ve always thought they were the best American band of all time. The best Doors songs are the ones they never play on the radio.
Absolutely!

And, some really cool, uniquely-arranged covers:

Doors are horrible.... Morrison's death made them iconic, had he lived, they wouldn't enjoy half the status and accolades they enjoy today.

They were a poor man's Stones

Me too. Several years ago we had a poll on here about if the Doors were better or if Queen was. I thought it'd be a landslide for the Doors but it was the other way around. It was the first time I realized that many people on this site are stupid! Lol

Go watch all the clips of the Freddie Mercury tribute concert shortly after his death.

Now imagine a Doors tribute concert that would come anywhere close to being that awesome....would never happen.

Reactions: SpyderHawk
The Doors had their place in their time. Like all bands. They broke new ground and advanced their genre. Morrison's eccentricity cemented his legendary status. The Rock scene wouldn't be the same without the Doors.

The Doors it seems were one of the first groups who took to the video music concept. This is over a decade before MTV

This one has been edited a bit, but there is also one for LA Woman.

Morrison and Manzarek posed an awesome collaboration.

Like Hendrix, Joplin, Cobain and others, Morrison was a 'candle in the wind' who was not built for the long haul, but rather a tragic phoenix who flew too close to the sun.

The doors were quite a bit before my time and have within the last 5-ish years started listening to them. They are one of the all time greats.

They are NOT considered one of the greats because Jim died. They are considered one of the greats because of him. He was an amazing song writer. One of the greatest of all time.

I’ll probably catch flak for this. But this is coming from someone who doesn’t like the Stones or the Beatles. But then again I may not have given them enough attention. Maybe I’ll change my mind in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT