ADVERTISEMENT

The Fed Has Spoken....Whatcha Gonna Do?

IIowaFarmBoy

HB MVP
Oct 22, 2023
Half a percent. Do you change anything? This amount....Meh...now if they do more before Christmas....

I've been reducing tech stocks and a few others. In anticipation I bought some retail this week.

Thoughts? Anyone running for the hills? Boost for Harris?

Not as big as some Dems wanted.

Half a percent. Do you change anything? This amount....Meh...now if they do more before Christmas....

I've been reducing tech stocks and a few others. In anticipation I bought some retail this week.

It wasn’t? Just how big of a cut did “us” Dems expect? A little “wait n’see” by the fed is smart….talk of another 1/4% post election/pre-New Year is on the table.
Everything is politics, especially in an election year…..I am sure trump and Co. will be warning America how Biden/Harris has driven the economy off the track…..and this cut in rates is another symptom of their failure.
Repubbers and trump want the stupid low rates of the past returned. I think there is n othing wrong with rates in the 6-8% range…..money has to be worth something, especially in a capitalistic society. A solid interest rate is a sign of worth.

It wasn’t? Just how big of a cut did “us” Dems expect? A little “wait n’see” by the fed is smart….talk of another 1/4% post election/pre-New Year is on the table.
Everything is politics, especially in an election year…..I am sure trump and Co. will be warning America how Biden/Harris has driven the economy off the track…..and this cut in rates is another symptom of their failure.
Repubbers and trump want the stupid low rates of the past returned. I think there is n othing wrong with rates in the 6-8% range…..money has to be worth something, especially in a capitalistic society. A solid interest rate is a sign of worth.
A group of Dems wrote an open letter asking for .75.

They were never going to do more than .5%. They are on track to drop it again in Nov, though.

Hey dingleberry. You do realize democrats want this as well, right?

It's this. It's more than likely just a move by the administration to increase sentiment into the election.

I know there's supposed to be separation and all, and the fed shouldn't be influenced by the WH, but at this point we know that's not how it works.
Like when Trump took the Fed to task when they started talking about raising rates? This is exactly why The Fed needs to remain “independent” and not tied to a political party…just look at the Supreme Court to see the folly of that.

Imma stick with my 2.5% mortgage payment.
Vs "refinancing" upwards to 5%+

Seems like the logical decision, here, even though my bank would LOVE the extra interest...

Reactions: IIowaFarmBoy
Like when Trump took the Fed to task when they started talking about raising rates? This is exactly why The Fed needs to remain “independent” and not tied to a political party…just look at the Supreme Court to see the folly of that.
SCOTUS not tied to a party.

If we get those expected cuts in November and December...that is a VERY good sign.

The Fed looks to have done a masterful job maneuvering through this.
Never fast enough for some, but still good.
As far as refinancing...I'd wait 6-12 months.

I’m going to refinance my house. Just got the numbers back and it will save me $400 a month

That surprises me as most lenders already built in a bit of a cushion for the expected rate drops. And $400/mo savings? Are you sitting on about a $1m mortgage? Either way, I would almost wait as I suspect one more rate drop by year end. Not my mortgage, and certainly not an expert, just my 2 cents.

Reactions: IIowaFarmBoy
Exactly! Trump did the same thing.

It's this. It's more than likely just a move by the administration to increase sentiment into the election.

I know there's supposed to be separation and all, and the fed shouldn't be influenced by the WH, but at this point we know that's not how it works.
Yeah, couldn’t be that inflation is easing enough to do it….🙄

Reactions: joelbc1
I’d wait.
Why wait? If the rates drop again refinance again. We did 3 times in 1 year and are now at 2% on our mortgage. If you have a decent banker they will be able to use most of the valuations and paperwork from a previous refi and save you some costs there too. Ours did, but we use a small town bank.

Why wait? If the rates drop again refinance again. We did 3 times in 1 year and are now at 2% on our mortgage. If you have a decent banker they will be able to use most of the valuations and paperwork from a previous refi and save you some costs there too. Ours did, but we use a small town bank.
This is what my line of thought is.

Just curious, are you sitting on a no-cost refi, or extremely low-cost with a local bank? It has been years since I refinanced into a 2.5% mortgage; but I thought the closing costs were 1.5-2% at the time. I certainly could be wrong though.

Just curious, are you sitting on a no-cost refi, or extremely low-cost with a local bank? It has been years since I refinanced into a 2.5% mortgage; but I thought the closing costs were 1.5-2% at the time. I certainly could be wrong though.
We use a small local bank and the refi cost was just a bunch of fees and not a percentage. I think the cost of the first refi was around $1,100. The other 2 were much less, closer to $200 since they could reuse things from our previous refis. But its been so long since we did that I forget all the nuances of how the costs were calculated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT