ADVERTISEMENT

The French Connection

Feb 9, 2013
I could’ve put this in my highly regarded but overrated movies thread from a couple weeks ago but just watched this for the first time this week.

It was pretty good, not great. Certainly not five Oscars and ‘widely considered one of the greatest films ever made’ great.

What does Bacon think?

I could’ve put this in my highly regarded but overrated movies thread from a couple weeks ago but just watched this for the first time this week.

It was pretty good, not great. Certainly not five Oscars and ‘widely considered one of the greatest films ever made’ great.

What does Bacon think?
At the time, much or the directing and filming elements were very new, which garnered a lot of awards for it, as well as the gritty realism that wasn't used much in other films of the day.

At the time, much or the directing and filming elements were very new, which garnered a lot of awards for it, as well as the gritty realism that wasn't used much in other films of the day.
Yeah, I can see that. One of those movies that was groundbreaking at the time but after seeing what it influenced it seems less so. (Like Pulp Fiction for me)

I did like the chase scenes and have always loved the 70s big city grittiness. Today’s NYC looks like Disney by comparison.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
Yeah, I can see that. One of those movies that was groundbreaking at the time but after seeing what it influenced it seems less so. (Like Pulp Fiction for me)

I did like the chase scenes and have always loved the 70s big city grittiness. Today’s NYC looks like Disney by comparison.
Indeed, there is at least a full generation of people that don't actually appreciate that many major American cities had sections that actually looked like that after the '68 riots and ensuing exodus to the suburbs. HUD was/is almost as effective as the UNRWA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT