ADVERTISEMENT

The 'friend' would be prosecuted if this were HIV

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/us/california-thomas-macias-coronavirus/index.html

He posted his regrets over attending a party in California. The next day, he died of coronavirus

CNN)A Southern California man who tested positive for coronavirus after attending a party expressed his fear and regret a day before he died.

Thomas Macias, 51, went to a barbecue last month near his community in Lake Elsinore, about 70 miles from Los Angeles.
Shortly after the party, he started feeling sick.
A friend who was at the party reached out to Macias to say he had coronavirus, and he was aware of the diagnosis when he attended the gathering but didn't think he could infect anyone because he had no symptoms, Lopez said.
"Our understanding is that a gentleman had called him and said 'hey I was at the party, I knew I was positive. I didn't tell anybody,'" Lopez said. "I think the gentleman was regretting not telling everybody, and he was calling people who were at the party to recommend they get tested."

About a dozen people who attended the party tested positive, Lopez said.

Reactions: lucas80
Just got my results back from the deep nasal swab (which BTW, can completely go F itself).

Negative! I would like to get the antibodies/serology and know others have.

@Moral if you don't mind sharing your results if you got them on your serology test. The limitations on the serology test is it can only trace back 1-3 weeks now. That give me zero amount of information if I had it in Feb/Mar. Hoping they can start tracing the history farther back than that.

Just got my results back from the deep nasal swab (which BTW, can completely go F itself).

@Moral if you don't mind sharing your results if you got them on your serology test. The limitations on the serology test is it can only trace back 1-3 weeks now. That give me zero amount of information if I had it in Feb/Mar. Hoping they can start tracing the history farther back than that.
Wtf. I got the antibody test Monday and it was negative. I told the doctor I thought i had it in March and he never mentioned the test only goes back 1 to 3 weeks. Do you have a link for this?

I'm getting anti-bodies test today and covid test tomorrow. Hopefully results come back before we head to this 250 person wedding in Minnesota that the in-laws from Bachman territory insist on holding. Its allegedly outdoors and we're skipping the groomsman's dinner... we should be okay since its just a hoax.

Came back negative for antibodies. I didn't know the limitations of the test before I got it, but I got pretty damn sick in late Feb into mid March. I got that cold from my bosses wife who had just got back from California, so who knows. I had a dry cough for over month, at the worst part I coughed so hard I "puked mucus from my lungs" and I don't remember it but I told my sbgf that if I got any sicker I was going to the ER.

So I was sick for 2ish plus weeks with a cough that lasted weeks after, the boss was sick for a week, the bosses wife was sick over a week, their son was sick for a week and coughed for a month, my sbgf felt off for 4 days.

But who knows could have been anything.

Wtf. I got the antibody test Monday and it was negative. I told the doctor I thought i had it in March and he never mentioned the test only goes back 1 to 3 weeks. Do you have a link for this?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the below which is quite possible.

CDC’s serologic test has a specificity of greater than 99% and a sensitivity of 96% based on initial performance evaluations. It can be used to identify past SARS-CoV-2 infection in people who were infected at least 1 to 3 weeks previously.

Link

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/us/california-thomas-macias-coronavirus/index.html

He posted his regrets over attending a party in California. The next day, he died of coronavirus

CNN)A Southern California man who tested positive for coronavirus after attending a party expressed his fear and regret a day before he died.

Thomas Macias, 51, went to a barbecue last month near his community in Lake Elsinore, about 70 miles from Los Angeles.
Shortly after the party, he started feeling sick.
A friend who was at the party reached out to Macias to say he had coronavirus, and he was aware of the diagnosis when he attended the gathering but didn't think he could infect anyone because he had no symptoms, Lopez said.
"Our understanding is that a gentleman had called him and said 'hey I was at the party, I knew I was positive. I didn't tell anybody,'" Lopez said. "I think the gentleman was regretting not telling everybody, and he was calling people who were at the party to recommend they get tested."

About a dozen people who attended the party tested positive, Lopez said.
Really, people with HIV cannot be around other people?

CDC’s serologic test has a specificity of greater than 99% and a sensitivity of 96% based on initial performance evaluations. It can be used to identify past SARS-CoV-2 infection in people who were infected at least 1 to 3 weeks previously.

Link

How do they mean "at least 1 to 3 weeks" - seems a little ambiguous. Do they mean that is the strict range of infection in detects or that antibodies won't test positive on their test for at least one and sometimes as many as three weeks after infection?

How do they mean "at least 1 to 3 weeks" - seems a little ambiguous. Do they mean that is the strict range of infection in detects or that antibodies won't test positive on their test for at least one and sometimes as many as three weeks after infection?

This is all way over my head

Because seroconversion may not occur for 1-3 weeks after symptom onset, antibody testing may have limited utility for diagnosis of acute infection.

Really, people with HIV cannot be around other people?
I believe that it's a crime to knowingly expose other people to the disease without informing them of the risk/condition. Different means of exposure, but criminal.

No - it means you have to have been recovered 1-3 weeks. There is an immediate immune response antibody IgM and the delayed "you're immune" antibody a few weeks later IgG. This test is likely looking for IgG antibodies. This would detect antibodies from a March infection.

Reactions: Kenneth Griffin
This is all way over my head

Because seroconversion may not occur for 1-3 weeks after symptom onset, antibody testing may have limited utility for diagnosis of acute infection.
That sounds like the latter. For some people who get I fected and develop antibodies, it can take up to three weeks after their first symptoms to test positive for antibodies. Ny uneducated guess wor be it depends on the health of the individual's immune system.

No - it means you have to have been recovered 1-3 weeks. There is an immediate immune response antibody IgM and the delayed "you're immune" antibody a few weeks later IgG. This test is likely looking for IgG antibodies. This would detect antibodies from a March infection.
That would be the latter of the scenarios I described right?

That would be the latter of the scenarios I described right?
Yes, if I misread. I had one done in May from Quest in Des Moines. Negative, the weird cold in Feb was just a cold it seems.

What I've read, if you test positive to antibody test, get another one done, preferably by a different method, to confirm. Negative means negative, but positive doesn't always mean positive, and with this disease it's best to know for sure.

Link

I read that the opposite of you. If you were infected in the last 1 to 3 weeks, it may not show antibodies. If you were infected longer ago than that, they should show up.

I'm getting anti-bodies test today and covid test tomorrow. Hopefully results come back before we head to this 250 person wedding in Minnesota that the in-laws from Bachman territory insist on holding. Its allegedly outdoors and we're skipping the groomsman's dinner... we should be okay since its just a hoax.
Yeah I'd pass on that. Just put more money to the gift.

ADVERTISEMENT