ADVERTISEMENT

The Future of Football

HawkPT

HR MVP
Dec 13, 2002
It seems that there is a faction moving in on football claiming that only "45% of Americans feel that tackle football is appropriate." The biggest supporters, according to Joy Behar (and I presume the Hamlin Injury Referendum on Safety of Football that is cited on the bottom of the screen), are heterosexuals and Conservatives.

The clip below from The View insinuates that football being a "tradition" (also likely code for Conservative and hetero... the old America) somehow makes it something of which we should be skeptical, an outdated concept from which we must evolve. Call me old-fashioned, but the crowd giving an applause for one host's son making a decision to quit football doesn't sit well with me either.

What do you think?

Such an astoundingly stupid discussion.

As with all things in America, follow the money.

This is a MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR enterprise. It isn't going away because some sub-set of people think it's too dangerous. Particularly when those putting their health at risk are rewarded handsomely with millions of dollars themselves.

The EXACT SECOND that it’s mentioned to that dipshit that the main negative effect of getting rid of football would be the decrease in the college education of black kids, she will make a 180 and become the biggest supporter.

nonsense. It's still the most popular show on tv.
It lost some momentum when politics got involved, but that's weeding out now. If we can get the BS calls under control it will come back around again.
Are there groups of people who think it's not worth playing? Certainly. There's always been a large percentage of people who don't care at all.

The far left and soy boys are coming for anything viewed as masculine. Add tackle football to the list.
The far left really hasn't cared about the sport itself. Lawyers came after the NFL and made it a bit worse off due to how poorly the NFL handled concussions, and they've since overreacted; but I'm pretty liberal as are most people I know, and I don't know anyone who thinks football should not be played. I know plenty who don't like it as a sport, but they don't really like any sports and it's nothing new.

Reactions: torbee
I know some of you despise Matt Walsh, but he made a good point about this matter. Evidence shows that men who are not connected to others in relationship are more likely to become violent. Football is one means by which men, who are by nature more violent than women, can channel that tendency in a positive way. What will happen should we eliminate more of these productive and relatively safe outlets for male aggression? What are the unintended consequences of that outcome?

I know some of you despise Matt Walsh, but he made a good point about this matter. Evidence shows that men who are not connected to others in relationship are more likely to become violent. Football is one means by which men, who are by nature more violent than women, can channel that tendency in a positive way. What will happen should we eliminate more of these productive and relatively safe outlets for male aggression? What are the unintended consequences of that outcome?
This is also very dumb.

I used to think that football's popularity would die out as fewer kids played it. But it seems like most of the biggest fans that I know are people that never played it. And now I have a 4th grade son and he is a football addict, and he has never played and has been told he won't ever play. He plays hockey and we told him that one contact sport is enough. Most of his friends play hockey or soccer as well. But they all freaking love football. It seems like at least 50% of the time him and his hockey teammates are talking about football in the locker room. Collecting and trading football cards is the #1 favorite thing amongst boys his age at school. And there are multiple different fantasy leagues amongst the boys in his grade. Based on all of that, I just don't see football's popularity dying soon. There is something about the sport that is almost hardwired into the male brain to like it. Heck, even the third grade son of my two gay neighbors (who both admittedly hate football) loves football.

No. I can't. Help me understand why what Walsh said is dumb.
He essentially implied that men would be more aggressive if football wasn't around. Then left it w/ the "what are the unintended consequences?" if that were to happen. We all know he's implying men would be more aggressive without football. IMO that's just as stupid as painting football as a straight conservative male sport. Both the opinion from The View in your first post and Matt Walsh's theory and "question" are equally absurd and stupid.

As I’ve stated earlier, we don’t even know yet what cause his cardiac arrest. If it was caused by an underlying condition then it could have just as easily happened while he was standing on the sideline.

I’ve even seen a few people blaming Tee Higgins, saying that he shouldn’t have lowered his shoulder just before the tackle.

People are stupid.

Ditto and ditto.
And ditto.

Anyone on either side of the conservative/liberal aisle trying to make this a political issue is a tool, the ladies of The View and Matt Walsh included.
You clearly just need to go play some football. You're coming off a little too aggressive, Torbs.

• Haha
Reactions: torbee
giphy.gif

When they talk about taking guns, Americans buy more guns. Time to invest in Wilson sports ball stocks.
6,000 kids die from gun violence every year in America and no one has the balls to seriously consider any kind of serious gun control, but this society is going to shut down a multi-billion sports/entertainment complex because one dude had a freak heart attack.

Uh yeah, right.

So OP is the former View quoting poster who claimed that the NFL would go bankrupt and whose name shall never be mentioned here again?

Good to know.

Reactions: McLovin32 and Moral
6,000 kids die from gun violence every year in America and no one has the balls to seriously consider any kind of serious gun control, but this society is going to shut down a multi-billion sports/entertainment complex because one dude had a freak heart attack.

Uh yeah, right.

Idk man, remember when there was some bloody NHL accidents and they switched the league to a roller-hockey league and instead of hockey sticks they used pool noodles. Could happen here too.

Edit: I would watch this sport

Such an astoundingly stupid discussion.

As with all things in America, follow the money.

This is a MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR enterprise. It isn't going away because some sub-set of people think it's too dangerous. Particularly when those putting their health at risk are rewarded handsomely with millions of dollars themselves.
It’s a personal decision to play.

If football is too dangerous…how about auto racing? What downhill skiing? MMA? Boxing?

People suffer brain trauma heading the ball in soccer…ban that?

Just get sick of this discussion…then these ass clowns inject politics into the discussion.

Pretty sure a lot of libs enjoy football…

It’s a personal decision to play.

If football is too dangerous…how about auto racing? What downhill skiing? MMA? Boxing?

People suffer brain trauma heading the ball in soccer…ban that?

Just get sick of this discussion…then these ass clowns inject politics into the discussion.

Pretty sure a lot of libs enjoy football…
Better yet, just have them all play womens soccer and displace the actual woman from their opportunity to play.

ADVERTISEMENT