ADVERTISEMENT

The Future of Football

He essentially implied that men would be more aggressive if football wasn't around. Then left it w/ the "what are the unintended consequences?" if that were to happen. We all know he's implying men would be more aggressive without football. IMO that's just as stupid as painting football as a straight conservative male sport. Both the opinion from The View in your first post and Matt Walsh's theory and "question" are equally absurd and stupid.
The idea that males are naturally more inclined to aggression than females isn't controversial. There are exceptions, of course, but on the whole this is true.

What I translate that Walsh is talking about are large sample sizes here, not the granular, individual level. I believe it is very likely that male aggression would increase with the reduction of positive outlets for these natural tendencies.

There are also exceptions to the statement that straight people love football. There are homosexuals that love football and heterosexuals who do not, but on the whole I don't think it's absurd or stupid to believe that a higher percentage of heterosexuals enjoy football and a lower percentage of homosexuals do not.

What's absurd is to believe that it should be eradicated because it's something that Conservatives and homosexuals in larger numbers support, which is what Joy Behar is implying. It isn't the data that are problem; it's the conclusions that some people make after observing the data that are stupid.

In animal science, it is understood that providing dogs with stimulating activities will reduce their naturally destructive tendencies. Those therapies, if you will, reduce the likelihood of bad behavior. It's not a stretch to believe that the same would occur to a population of males in America; it's certainly not absurd and stupid to come to that conclusion. Like a chew toy or a dog puzzle, football and other sanctioned sports can be a positive outlet for a natural phenomenon that left unfilled could otherwise lead to destruction.

Last edited:
The idea that males are naturally more inclined to aggression than females isn't controversial. There are exceptions, of course, but on the whole this is true.

What I translate that Walsh is talking about are large sample sizes here, not the granular, individual level. I believe it is very likely that male aggression would increase with the reduction of positive outlets for these natural tendencies.

There are also exceptions to the statement that straight people love football. There are homosexuals that love football and heterosexuals who do not, but on the whole I don't think it's absurd or stupid to believe that a higher percentage of heterosexuals enjoy football and a lower percentage of homosexuals do not.

What's absurd is that it should be eradicated because it something that Conservatives and homosexuals in larger numbers support. It isn't the data that are problem; it's the conclusions that some people make after observing the data that are stupid.

In animal science, it is understood that providing dogs with stimulating activities will reduce their naturally destructive tendencies. Those therapies, if you will, reduce the likelihood of bad behavior. It's not a stretch to believe that the same would occur to a population of males in America; it's certainly not absurd and stupid to come to that conclusion. Like a chew toy or a dog puzzle, football and other sanctioned sports can be a positive outlet for a natural phenomenon that left unfilled could otherwise lead to destruction.

What drugs are you on and how can I get some?

What's absurd is that it should be eradicated because it something that Conservatives and homosexuals in larger numbers support. It isn't the data that are problem; it's the conclusions that some people make after observing the data that are stupid.

Both the opinion in the 1st post and the Matt Walsh opinion are incredibly stupid. I'm sorry you just took the time to type all of this.

Reactions: goldmom and Moral
Both the opinion in the 1st post and the Matt Walsh opinion are incredibly stupid. I'm sorry you just took the time to type all of this.

He has a point.

Humans evolved by fighting with -- and killing -- humans from other tribes. It's part of what makes us humans in the first place.

I know some of you despise Matt Walsh, but he made a good point about this matter. Evidence shows that men who are not connected to others in relationship are more likely to become violent. Football is one means by which men, who are by nature more violent than women, can channel that tendency in a positive way. What will happen should we eliminate more of these productive and relatively safe outlets for male aggression? What are the unintended consequences of that outcome?
Everyone should despise Matt Walsh. Don't care if he has any points about football, someone who's less hateable can make them.

Reactions: Moral
When they talk about taking guns, Americans buy more guns. Time to invest in Wilson sports ball stocks.
wilson-gif.gif

6,000 kids die from gun violence every year in America and no one has the balls to seriously consider any kind of serious gun control, but this society is going to shut down a multi-billion sports/entertainment complex because one dude had a freak heart attack.

Uh yeah, right.
Derp

I know some of you despise Matt Walsh, but he made a good point about this matter. Evidence shows that men who are not connected to others in relationship are more likely to become violent. Football is one means by which men, who are by nature more violent than women, can channel that tendency in a positive way. What will happen should we eliminate more of these productive and relatively safe outlets for male aggression? What are the unintended consequences of that outcome?
Somehow the majority of us are able to get by without smacking our wives around and not playing football. I don't see anything necessarily unhealthy about being a fan of sport, but to say we'd all start beating and maiming each other without it is ridiculous.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
I don’t think it should be banned…however I will admit I’m beginning to personally consider just what role I’m playing as a fan in the long term health of all of these players by supporting this sport.

After the Hamlin thing, it personally brought up imagery in my mind of the Roman Gladiators in the Coliseum fighting until the end. I’m just not 100% sure I want to play a part in it anymore. I wouldn’t begrudge others…but knowing what we know…I’m just trying to weigh its personal value.

Boxing was one of the biggest American past times too…

My guess is more people have died bowling.

Are we getting rid of that also?

No sport is safe. We should all just play video games, become lardasses, wear a mask, and virtue signal.

If you think football is going away….roflmao

The nice thing is that it is now like smoking. Even the dumbest of the dumb know the risks going in.

Reactions: goldmom
We all laughed at the black white supremacist but it won't be long before men on the left actually hate themselves for being men.... and I'll be laughing.

Reactions: goldmom
He has a point.

Humans evolved by fighting with -- and killing -- humans from other tribes. It's part of what makes us humans in the first place.
To coin a phrase from modern times and give it actual meaning, the struggle WAS real. Fighting other groups/tribes meant survival in the most literal sense.
Not so much today.
Are these dimwits struggling to be relevant?

Yeah bro, that's called war. It still happens.
Zoologist Desmond Morris has talked about this in his books/shows as well.

Sport provides a (relatively) healthy outlet for some of our instincts. It’s the root of what is otherwise irrational levels of passion about something so meaningless in the larger picture.

Reactions: HawkPT
Hmm, this might be a blow to Walsh's theory that "manly" sports prevent male aggression:

Paola was found bruised and unresponsive in bed covered by a sheet, according to Tribuna. The outlet reports that Baroni told police the two had begun arguing around 3 p.m. after he had been smoking marijuana and drinking beer and Paola revealed having cheated on him.

Baroni told police he ordered her to take a shower and forcibly threw her in it when she refused, per Tribuna; she then hit her head and slipped, further injuring herself. He said she asked him for cigarettes and beer when he helped her onto the bed.

Meh football isn't going away. At the higher levels everyone is an adult and understands the risks. Furthermore they are rewarded pretty hansomly for playing.

The lower levels while still dangerous are not nearly as dangerous as the higher levels because of the reduced athleticism of most players.

I personally don't want my kids playing football, but I watch it and I don't think it should be illegal.

No one is getting rid of football. It's completely captured the attention of Americans and it's building a fan base in Europe as well.

The Hamlin thing is terrible but it's a one off. Soccer has had professional players die on the pitch during matches and there were no talks about banning soccer. Occasionally these things just happen, you do what you can to prevent them and have medical professionals standing by if they do happen but you arn't going to be able to make a sport where this never happens. Most people get that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT