ADVERTISEMENT

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; 42 seasons a Hawkeye ...

cidsports

HB King
My sister was at Iowa, as the FXL era came to an end. My brother's first season was 1965 and he has been reconnecting with Iowa Football lately. We attended our first Hawkeye game together last year, after a long layoff for him. My first season was 1974, so the win over UCLA was a great way to get started, but the following week, Iowa Football returned to reality.

The 1981 season was very magical, as my parents and my best friend stood in the East stands rooting for Iowa to beat Nebraska for the first time in my lifetime. It is the only win to date at Kinnick.

Last year, Iowa was on the cusp of a good start against the Cornhuskers, only to let another get away. It was actually one of the better games in the series, but no one like moral victories. Unlike Iowa State, Iowa has never played a lesser than 9+ win Cornhusker team in the series.

11/28/2014 vs. *Nebraska (9-4) L 34 37
11/29/2013 @ *Nebraska (9-4) W 38 17
11/23/2012 vs. *Nebraska (10-4) L 7 13
11/25/2011 @ *Nebraska (9-4) L 7 20
9/23/2000 @ Nebraska (10-2) L 13 42
9/4/1999 vs. Nebraska (12-1) L 7 42
9/11/1982 @ Nebraska (12-1) L 7 42
9/12/1981 vs. Nebraska (9-3) W 10 7
9/20/1980 @ Nebraska (10-2) L 0 57
9/22/1979 vs. Nebraska (10-2) L 21 24

Iowa is 2-8 in the series, with both Hayden Fry and Kirk Ferentz 1-4.

Can Iowa compete with Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin, under head coach Kirk Ferentz and his staff?

Not many Hawkeye fans are happy, satisfied or asking for more helpings of the past five seasons, as Hawkeye fans. Some are concerned, that change for the sake of change could lead to the horrors of 1961 to 1980. Look at Iowa Basketball with the expectations that a couple golden boys from Indiana is all what Iowa needs to play the Hawkeye way ...

Hindsight is 20/20

Iowa is #60 overall, since 1889 in College Football. Since 1999, when Kirk Ferentz arrived, Iowa is #42. If you take away the first two season, when Iowa was 4-19, the Iowa is #28.

The State of Illinois athletics and now the State of Iowa athletics are surely reasons to have concerns. By the way, is everyone excited about the news on September 3rd on the announcement of Iowa's newest President?

The State of Iowa Football and the University of Iowa is certainly partly cloudy, at the present time.

Many fans just want the Kirk Ferentz era to end. I would imagine opponents would agree that Iowa without Kirk Ferentz would be good for the Big Ten West.

Wisconsin coach Paul Chryst lost to Iowa last season at Pitt. A new head coaching staff would likely put Iowa back a couple of seasons. The new staff would likely want to get there players in place.

Nebraska coach Mike Riley would fill the void extremely well of Kirk Ferentz. In many ways, they are similar coaches, though Riley was a head coach NFL, while Ferentz was an offensive line coach.

Most NFL coaches don't pan out in College Football. Ferentz had good roots in Iowa City, since he was a very good, successful offensive line coach for Hayden Fry.

The program with the biggest gain against Iowa is Minnesota. Jerry Kill is 0-8 in bowl games. He has had back to back 8-5 seasons for the Golden Gophers, but this is a program, where games at Northwestern and at Purdue, could lead to an 0-2 start in the Big Ten in 2015.

Two programs "hate" Iowa, right?

Ferentz out at Iowa would be very good for Minnesota. Do they keep Floyd of Rosedale for back to back seasons?

Pat Fitzgerald will always remember 20 years ago, when his Rose Bowl season came to an end. He has witnessed back to back 5-7 seasons. He hosts Iowa for Homecoming in 2015, I believe.

Illinois and Purdue both come to Kinnick. It is the first time, since 2007 for Illinois. They lost to Iowa in 2007, but actually went to the Rose Bowl. How the ball bounces in the old BCS. Purdue actually had another coach the last time they played at Kinnick. It was a very ugly day (2012). Iowa finished the season 4-8. Kirk Ferentz's worst season in many ways at Iowa. The record wasn't as bad as 1999 or 2000, but the taste in the fans and players mouths was most likely?

Well, there is the ugly, the bad, so what is good about 2015?

There is no reason to not believe Iowa has an opportunity for some success on the gridiron. Over the past four seasons, Iowa has competed against Nebraska. Heck, even the Wisconsin game was close.

Like 1981 or 2004, Iowa has a new QB, new RB, new WR leading the program. The Hawkeyes need the defense and special teams to step up. Again, opportunity knocks for the Hawkeyes. Do I see a successful season on the level of either 1981 or 2004 ... no.

No one in the B1G West is expected to be on the same level as Ohio State or Michigan State. Oddly, the Iowa team that went 4-8 in 2012 beat Michigan State. However, Iowa hasn't beat Wisconsin, since 2009, while Minnesota hasn't beat Wisconsin, since 2003. The Nebraska games lately with Wisconsin haven't been competitive.

In the final season of Dr. Tom Davis, Iowa couldn't compete on the court with Michigan State. Not a lot has changed in basketball, over the 13+ years, since Dr. Tom Davis was coach.

Iowa Football has really never competed well with Ohio State. I don't think change for the sake of change will automatically help Iowa.

In 2009 and 2013, Iowa at Ohio State were competitive. If Kirk Ferentz can bring competitive football to Iowa in 2015, he is worthy of his role as Iowa's head football coach.

Iowa does come short over the years. In 1996, Iowa came up very short in a 40-13 game at Kinnick Stadium. It was a game where Iowa had playmakers, but Northwestern was clearly the better team.

Iowa needs to recruit. I like the Class of 2016 at this point. Iowa needs to coach.

I support Kirk Ferentz at this point. I also support Coach Doyle, who clearly contributed to something in 2011 that has impacted our Iowa program.

It is now 2015. The players are responsible for much of what needs to be done. The coaching staff has a responsibility to put them in the right position.

Iowa players need to Just do it! After all, Iowa is a Nike school.

peace

P.S. - I have been frustrated with the hire and performance of Greg Davis. This is a big season for him, Coach Ferentz and the Iowa program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News