ADVERTISEMENT

The GOP strategy now?

Feb 9, 2013
McConnell is safe in his re-election but a close second is his concern over keeping the majority. He doesn’t care nearly as much about helping Trump.

If he jams through a confirmation before the election Trump is happy but the GOP is screwed in the Senate.

His best option seems to be to hold the confirmation hearings after the election, and use that vote as the carrot to get GOP voters to the polls. Dems will be fired up either way so he may think that’s only way to save the majority.

Thoughts?

Reactions: naturalmwa
Just our that Trump wants to nominate someone ASAP. Never bet against him to be a complete POS.
Oh, I have no doubt Trump will be hollering for a vote to be held within the next couple weeks. McConnell’s a despicable person, but I don’t think he’s afraid of Trump.

Oh, I have no doubt Trump will be hollering for a vote to be held within the next couple weeks. McConnell’s a despicable person, but I don’t think he’s afraid of Trump.

?

You honestly don’t think McConnel and the rest of the GOP senate will hesitate to rush through whoever Trump nominates? If Trump nominates Satan himself he will be confirmed in a heartbeat, despite Susan Collin’s “concerns.”

Reactions: Huey Grey
?

You honestly don’t think McConnel and the rest of the GOP senate will hesitate to rush through whoever Trump nominates? If Trump nominates Satan himself he will be confirmed in a heartbeat, despite Susan Collin’s “concerns.”
He might, but I think it’ll be the last thing he does as Majority Leader. I don’t think McConnell wants to lose the Senate. Especially to help a guy who very well could lose in 6 weeks.

They will have a nominee this week and schedule the vote After the election. If they lose the majority and WH they will go forward with the vote saying it is necessary to maintain the check and balance over the other branches that are in democratic control

He might, but I think it’ll be the last thing he does as Majority Leader. I don’t think McConnell wants to lose the Senate. Especially to help a guy who very well could lose in 6 weeks.

I don’t see how this hurts the GOP. Their base has no more honor than they do. They only need about 30% support of our country to control the Senate.

McConnell is safe in his re-election but a close second is his concern over keeping the majority. He doesn’t care nearly as much about helping Trump.

If he jams through a confirmation before the election Trump is happy but the GOP is screwed in the Senate.

His best option seems to be to hold the confirmation hearings after the election, and use that vote as the carrot to get GOP voters to the polls. Dems will be fired up either way so he may think that’s only way to save the majority.

Thoughts?
I remember my first beer.

It is going to be wild, but there is logic here. Mitch cares about Mitch first, then his hold on power in the Senate, and Trump third.

ADVERTISEMENT