ADVERTISEMENT

The Homeless Are Dying in Record Numbers on the Streets of Los Angeles

Jay Noble Daggit

HR All-State
Apr 27, 2019

A record number of homeless people — 918 last year alone — are dying across Los Angeles County, on bus benches, hillsides, railroad tracks and sidewalks. Based on that criteria, the coroner reported 3,612 deaths of homeless people in L.A. County from 2014 to 2018.

Deaths have jumped 76% in the past five years, outpacing the growth of the homeless population, according to a Kaiser Health News analysis of the coroner's data.

Nearly 53,000 people were homeless in L.A. County last year, according to a point-in-time count of homeless residents, an increase of about 39% since 2014. The majority were not living in shelters.

Over the five-year period in L.A. County, there also was a sharp increase in deaths of younger adults who were homeless. For instance, the deaths of adults under 45 more than doubled.

A record number of homeless people — 918 last year alone — are dying across Los Angeles County, on bus benches, hillsides, railroad tracks and sidewalks. Based on that criteria, the coroner reported 3,612 deaths of homeless people in L.A. County from 2014 to 2018.

Deaths have jumped 76% in the past five years, outpacing the growth of the homeless population, according to a Kaiser Health News analysis of the coroner's data.

Nearly 53,000 people were homeless in L.A. County last year, according to a point-in-time count of homeless residents, an increase of about 39% since 2014. The majority were not living in shelters.

Over the five-year period in L.A. County, there also was a sharp increase in deaths of younger adults who were homeless. For instance, the deaths of adults under 45 more than doubled.

Does that bother you?

Reactions: JRHawk2003
Okay. Homeless people die. They have less food, less health care, harder life, less support than those of us with a permanent residence. It sucks, but news flash, everyone dies, it's not just a homeless people issue.

I guess you want them to die in less photo op oriented locations? Or for them to all wander out into the woods to die where we can't see them? They are so inconsiderate.

Reactions: Roy-munson
Okay. Homeless people die. They have less food, less health care, harder life, less support than those of us with a permanent residence. It sucks, but news flash, everyone dies, it's not just a homeless people issue.

I guess you want them to die in less photo op oriented locations? Or for them to all wander out into the woods to die where we can't see them? They are so inconsiderate.

I'm pretty sure when you catch a case of "the dead" it doesn't wait for you to wander into the woods.

The irony is that while the homeless are dying, the
illegal immigrants are doing fine in the sanctuary
cities of California.
probably because they are working....or receiving services that ARE available to "homeless" folks??? The homeless are often afflicted with a primary disability (mental illness) and many of these folks choose NOT to receive social services/meals, etc.....Whereas those immigrants in "sanctuary cities" are extended benefits from social organizations, they they use them as they wait for their day in court.
Lute...it ain't rocket science. I wish you would quit making it seem so difficult to understand....

Reactions: goldmom
I wonder if the actual death RATE is growing, or if in fact the actual homeless rate is growing, and they really don't know how many homeless people there are. They're certainly more likely to find out about a homeless person who has died than one who is just sort of living off the radar.

I understand why a news organization with an agenda would want to highlight california cities, but is it really worse there than anywhere else? In theory, all those social programs should mean the homeless of California should have it better than the homeless elsewhere. Is that not the case? Or is it the case for some, and it attracts more, and then the system is overloaded?

Or are they just doing more drugs and dying? In case you haven't noticed, I have more questions than answers.

I wonder if the actual death RATE is growing, or if in fact the actual homeless rate is growing, and they really don't know how many homeless people there are. They're certainly more likely to find out about a homeless person who has died than one who is just sort of living off the radar.

I understand why a news organization with an agenda would want to highlight california cities, but is it really worse there than anywhere else? In theory, all those social programs should mean the homeless of California should have it better than the homeless elsewhere. Is that not the case? Or is it the case for some, and it attracts more, and then the system is overloaded?

Or are they just doing more drugs and dying? In case you haven't noticed, I have more questions than answers.

Well, at least unlike the OP you admit it.

A lot homeless are vets. It is powerfully sad that we send them off to war, damage them, and forget about them when they come back.

A lot of homeless are also mentally ill beyond combat. It is sad we forget about them, too.

another democratic success story. They keep piling up

[QUOTE="joelbc1, post: 6609374, member: 9268".....Whereas those immigrants in "sanctuary cities" are extended benefits from social organizations, they they use them as they wait for their day in court.

May be one of the funniest and saddest post you have ever made.

trump should run on this stuff and try and win cali. say , "look what years of liberal dems do to you guys!" he should be there doing rallies

Reactions: Herkmeister
Actually I just ignored it, I normally just consider which one of the “dregs” responded and ignore the source.

Thats funny. Except you clearly DIDN'T ignore, as you quoted and responded. And you clearly had no point, only to say homeless people die. So, in some weak attempt to associate "liberalism" and "death" you posted a nothing-burger article and added no value to the position. Speaking of dregs.... that effort smacks of a pathetic political drive by that clearly doesn't do anything except show ignorance and unfettered political support. But feel free to wave the GOP is better banner having no clue who you are talking to.

So what should we do about it? Let’s hear some solutions that would pass a conservative congress and actually work to mitigate the problem.

A lot of the serial killers I have talked to get their start on homeless.

ADVERTISEMENT