ADVERTISEMENT

The inconvenient truth - 96% of gun violence….

May 17, 2021
….is caused by anger and hatred and feelings of anomie and disconnection etc, NOT mental illness.

this according to actual experts and actual research, psychiatrists whose research is based on working with actual perpetrators, not propaganda talking points from NRA stooges and corrupted corporate pro gun politicians.

angry people with guns will kill. More guns in the hands of angry hateful people, more will die.

facts matter. Reality asserts itself.

I would agree but I think the things that shake us to our soul like the wanton murder of elementary school children it is legitimate to question if the perp was not in fact mentally ill.

I mean what logical reason could one have to be angry at random elementary school children?

There is a lot to be said on all fronts and there is work to be done on all fronts.

Harrison said that chiefs across the country have been saying the “lack of consequences and the lack of fear of any consequences” in the climate as a result of the pandemic is a significant factor in the increase in violence, as well as the disruption of the criminal justice system.

“Two-thirds of the criminal justice system was not operating at full capacity like policing was and when you put that all together, here we are again seeing a rise in crime,” he said.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
Cities with the highest murder rates
  1. St. Louis, MO (69.4)
  2. Baltimore, MD (51.1)
  3. New Orleans, LA (40.6)
  4. Detroit, MI (39.7)
  5. Cleveland, OH (33.7)
  6. Las Vegas, NV (31.4)
  7. Kansas City, MO (31.2)
  8. Memphis, TN (27.1)
  9. Newark, NJ (25.6)
  10. Chicago, IL (24)
  11. Cincinnati, OH (23.8)
  12. Philadelphia, PA (20.2)
  13. Milwaukee, WI (20.0)
  14. Tulsa, OK (18.6)
  15. Pittsburgh, PA (18.4)
  16. Indianapolis, IN (17.7)
  17. Louisville, KY (17.5)
  18. Oakland, CA (17.1)
  19. Washington D.C. (17.0)
  20. Atlanta, GA (16.7)

….is caused by anger and hatred and feelings of anomie and disconnection etc, NOT mental illness.

this according to actual experts and actual research, psychiatrists whose research is based on working with actual perpetrators, not propaganda talking points from NRA stooges and corrupted corporate pro gun politicians.

angry people with guns will kill. More guns in the hands of angry hateful people, more will die.

facts matter. Reality asserts itself.

I listened to this, this morning. I’ll admit, I haven’t really thought about it like the physician described. I guess this also blows the bullshit argument of a lack of due process out of the window.

Harrison said that chiefs across the country have been saying the “lack of consequences and the lack of fear of any consequences” in the climate as a result of the pandemic is a significant factor in the increase in violence, as well as the disruption of the criminal justice system.

“Two-thirds of the criminal justice system was not operating at full capacity like policing was and when you put that all together, here we are again seeing a rise in crime,” he said.

Do you honestly believe that someone shooting someone to death thinks there won't be consequences for this if they get caught?

Reactions: BDJHawk
Cities with the highest murder rates
  1. St. Louis, MO (69.4)
  2. Baltimore, MD (51.1)
  3. New Orleans, LA (40.6)
  4. Detroit, MI (39.7)
  5. Cleveland, OH (33.7)
  6. Las Vegas, NV (31.4)
  7. Kansas City, MO (31.2)
  8. Memphis, TN (27.1)
  9. Newark, NJ (25.6)
  10. Chicago, IL (24)
  11. Cincinnati, OH (23.8)
  12. Philadelphia, PA (20.2)
  13. Milwaukee, WI (20.0)
  14. Tulsa, OK (18.6)
  15. Pittsburgh, PA (18.4)
  16. Indianapolis, IN (17.7)
  17. Louisville, KY (17.5)
  18. Oakland, CA (17.1)
  19. Washington D.C. (17.0)
  20. Atlanta, GA (16.7)
Now do it per capita. Shocking...more crime where millions of people are congregated together. Another thing you guys refuse to learn.

Ultimately I think your major premise is right (ie anomie), but…
1. I’m not sure I agree with completely disassociating anomie and mental illness.
2. I think it’s a big step to suggest that the means of violence (guns) are its cause.

perhaps a more meaningful initiative would be to evaluate root causes of anomie.

Mass killings of school children matter more. It may suck to hear and people may not want to admit it. But it's the truth of what most Americans feel.

It's not always about numbers . . . it's psychologically different.

Mass attacks create more fear than targeted attacks even though your chances if dying in a mass attack are massively lower then dying in a targeted attack.

I think it boils down to most people don't believe that anyone they know really desires to kill them. Most people are right on on that. A few people are obviously wrong about that. But that's the belief of the vast majority of people.

There are other random crimes to fear like robbery but most figure if someone tries to rob you, you give them your money and you live.

A mass shooter terrifies people because there isn't any logic to it. It's a person who for no apparent reason just wants to kill you and a bunch of people like you. It's kind of similar to the psychological effects of terrorism. Your chances of dying due to terrorism are not very high. But if there are people out there who just want to kill a bunch of people like you, that's terrifying.

Why do black people hate black people so much?

The Johns Hopkins report on gun deaths in 2020 put out last month was much more revealing.

It had the numbers that should have been front and center at the CDC, such as, “In 2020, one out of every 1,000 young Black males (15–34) was shot and killed.”

Even though young black males only make up “2% of the total population”, they account for “38% of all gun homicide fatalities” with a gun homicide rate “almost 21 times higher than white males of the same age group.”

“More than half of all black teens (15–19) who died in 2020—a staggering 52%—were killed by gun violence,” it shockingly observes.

You would think that the CDC would be interested in these numbers, instead of trying to hide them by combining all the demographics together and then conflating the risk for an Asian toddler in Marin with a black teen in Chicago in order to claim that “gun violence” is a crisis.

The crisis here is crime.

Black Lives Matter has called the rare police shootings of black men, “genocide”. But the real genocide is coming from inside the house. Even well before this the CDC’s own numbers found that among black men under the age of 20, homicide is the leading cause of death at 35.3%

It's also the leading cause of death for black men from 20-44 years old at 27.6%.

Homicide doesn't even make the CDC's top 10 causes of death for men in America, but it's number four for black men.

Black Lives Matter and the wave of pro-crime measures such as mass criminal releases, police defunding, and bail elimination, helped send the black murder rate sky high.

3,595 black people were murdered in 2019. But in 2020, 5,839 black people were murdered.

That's an additional 2,244 black people killed.

The Johns Hopkins report on gun deaths in 2020 put out last month was much more revealing.

It had the numbers that should have been front and center at the CDC, such as, “In 2020, one out of every 1,000 young Black males (15–34) was shot and killed.”

Even though young black males only make up “2% of the total population”, they account for “38% of all gun homicide fatalities” with a gun homicide rate “almost 21 times higher than white males of the same age group.”

“More than half of all black teens (15–19) who died in 2020—a staggering 52%—were killed by gun violence,” it shockingly observes.

You would think that the CDC would be interested in these numbers, instead of trying to hide them by combining all the demographics together and then conflating the risk for an Asian toddler in Marin with a black teen in Chicago in order to claim that “gun violence” is a crisis.

Black Lives Matter has called the rare police shootings of black men, “genocide”. But the real genocide is coming from inside the house. Even well before this the CDC’s own numbers found that among black men under the age of 20, homicide is the leading cause of death at 35.3%

It's also the leading cause of death for black men from 20-44 years old at 27.6%.

Homicide doesn't even make the CDC's top 10 causes of death for men in America, but it's number four for black men.

Black Lives Matter and the wave of pro-crime measures such as mass criminal releases, police defunding, and bail elimination, helped send the black murder rate sky high.

3,595 black people were murdered in 2019. But in 2020, 5,839 black people were murdered.

Someone hasn't studied systemic racism.

Someone hasn't studied systemic racism.
It makes black people hate black people?

It’s amazing that the police retreat in the wake of BLM has led to a surge in killing that has already exceeded decades of lynching.

Tuskegee University now houses the nation's most complete record of lynchings occurring in the U.S. during an 86-year period spanning 1882 to 1968. During this time, 4,743 people were lynched — including 3,446 African Americans and 1,297 whites.

If the KKK figures this out they’ll be holding ‘de-fund the police’ marches.

1. I’m not sure I agree with completely disassociating anomie and mental illness.
2. I think it’s a big step to suggest that the means of violence (guns) are its cause.

perhaps a more meaningful initiative would be to evaluate root causes of anomie.

anti democratic parasitic neoliberal capitalism and the mass delusions it creates as it eats its own and eats itself and the very planet on which we all depend.

read durkheim’s classic “on suicide” or listen to Chris hedges’ trenchant criticism. Or both.

Yeah, there's a fine line between anomie and mental illness.

“Poverty is the worst form of violence” (Gandhi)

it’s about class and systemic poverty and lack of opportunity and social structure etc. not any one race, even if that race has suffered more than any other for centuries in this country.

Weird how most of these cities are in red states...
Only to someone ignorant of the population and crime demographics.

You think these are GOP voters responsible for the surge?

Jackson, a solidly Democratic city in a state that is solidly Republican, shattered its homicide record in 2020 with 130 -- the previous high of 92 homicides in 1995, about the time when homicides in America peaked.

The city's population shrank from almost 200,000 in 1990 to about 160,000 in 2020. Its decline in population in these three decades was driven almost entirely by White flight. The city was 56% Black in 1990. By 2020, 82% of the city's residents were Black.

It makes black people hate black people?

It’s amazing that the police retreat in the wake of BLM has led to a surge in killing that has already exceeded decades of lynching.

Tuskegee University now houses the nation's most complete record of lynchings occurring in the U.S. during an 86-year period spanning 1882 to 1968. During this time, 4,743 people were lynched — including 3,446 African Americans and 1,297 whites.

If the KKK figures this out they’ll be holding ‘de-fund the police’ marches.
Someone doesn't understand systemic racism. I mean, I know this exact topic you are bringing up has been discussed multiple times here. Please learn and stop using Chicago and black on black like it's a valid argument. It's not.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66
Only to someone ignorant of the population and crime demographics.

You think these are GOP voters responsible for the surge?

Jackson, a solidly Democratic city in a state that is solidly Republican, shattered its homicide record in 2020 with 130 -- the previous high of 92 homicides in 1995, about the time when homicides in America peaked.

The city's population shrank from almost 200,000 in 1990 to about 160,000 in 2020. Its decline in population in these three decades was driven almost entirely by White flight. The city was 56% Black in 1990. By 2020, 82% of the city's residents were Black.
SMH

Not having access to traditional job opportunities means that the best opportunities are generally criminal in nature. Once you start engaging in crimes like that you are more likely to be a target of a murder.

This is a lack of opportunities problem.

To deny this problem is much more prevalent in the black demographic is being deliberately ignorant. The most important aspect of this problem is deducing the underlying causes for this anomaly and trying to find effective ways to correct it.

Not having access to traditional job opportunities means that the best opportunities are generally criminal in nature. Once you start engaging in crimes like that you are more likely to be a target of a murder.

This is a lack of opportunities problem.
One aspect of living in Tallahassee is that FAMU draws black students from Africa and the Caribbean. I think you’d be surprised at their attitudes toward the opportunities in this country, and how African-Americans approach them.

This is fantastic OP, my kind of crowd here. Capitalism must be ended soon or modified significantly. People are too wealthy and I would like to see more done for the poor.

• Haha
Do we not acknowledge anyone violent enough to kill is clearly not mentally healthy??
Do we not acknowledge these people mass murder people with weapons designed to massacre humans? Can we also acknowledge that Republicans cut funding for mental health?

there is poverty and racism in other countries too btw. But far fewer guns and much more regulation there. And far less gun violence.

this isn’t red vs blue. This is lies vs truth.

Just dropping by with the right answer so it can be mocked and ignored....

Lack of involved parents and kids being raised in stable 2 parent homes is a significant part of this.

Want the big government action? Invest in before and after school programs for kids older than 12, make it available through high school (give a work option so kids make money after school and let employers participate in a federally funded "after school work program.")

Giving kids parents who care, a father and mother who are involved, and stability even when their parents are at work, and you'll greatly reduce the number of kids getting swept up by gang violence and other less organized mischief at a young age.

This begins at home and in local communities. The phrase "it takes a village" applies here.

Will homicides and mass shootings cease? No, but we can reduce crime significantly by raising our kids.

Just dropping by with the right answer so it can be mocked and ignored....

Lack of involved parents and kids being raised in stable 2 parent homes is a significant part of this.

Want the big government action? Invest in before and after school programs for kids older than 12, make it available through high school (give a work option so kids make money after school and let employers participate in a federally funded "after school work program.")

Giving kids parents who care, a father and mother who are involved, and stability even when their parents are at work, and you'll greatly reduce the number of kids getting swept up by gang violence and other less organized mischief at a young age.

This begins at home and in local communities. The phrase "it takes a village" applies here.

Will homicides and mass shootings cease? No, but we can reduce crime significantly by raising our kids.
Universal daycare and preschool too. Creates jobs and incredibly high ROI and social and community impact.

Reactions: thewop

giphy.gif

Jackson (Hinds county): 73.4% voted D in the presidential election
Louisville (Jefferson county): 58.9% voted D
Birmingham (Jefferson county): 55.8% voted D
St. Louis (St. Louis County): 81.9% voted D
Baltimore (Baltimore City Country): 87.3% voted D
New Orleans (Orleans County): 83.1% voted D
Memphis (Shelby County): 64.4% voted D
Baton Rouge (East Baton Rouge County) 55.5% voted D
Shreveport (Caddo County): 52.5% voted D
Cleveland (Cuyahoga County): 66.4% voted D

Weird how every one of the cities in the top 10 are blue cities....
(source: https://www.bestplaces.net/)

anti democratic parasitic neoliberal capitalism and the mass delusions it creates as it eats its own and eats itself and the very planet on which we all depend.

read durkheim’s classic “on suicide” or listen to Chris hedges’ trenchant criticism. Or both.

Defaulting to "mere" economics is a bit too simple. I think the root causes run a little deeper actually, into things like a society that is completely id ("I want") driven. That is a built in recipe for cognitive dissonance right there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT