ADVERTISEMENT

The Iowa defense is a paper tiger.

I don't think our linebacker play is nearly as strong as it has been in the past. Lot of young guys out there.
Josie Jewel and crew with two NFL linebackers give up 250 rush yards to Wisconsin, playing against Taylor as a freshman. Now he is a grown man and Iowa only give up 50 more yards with a junior a sophomore and a RS Freshmen and true freshman playing most of the linebacker snaps. I think it is time to panic about the linebackers(not)

It's elite if you get Welch back in there and the offense complements. But when the defense makes big plays, the offense shits it away. Iowa is a contain and opportunistic defense. It gets difficult to go out there drive after drive to keep this team's head above water without letting some things slide. This game was a tired defense getting tired of carrying the offense that doesn't want to do its job.
If Iowa gets a TD on either turnover the defense created, Iowa wins. Stop this nonsense

How about another game where a starting corner got pulled because he couldn't contend with the opposing receivers. And then his replacement got abused?
Good defense. Designed to bend not break.
Not elite

Every single LB and DB tried to tackle Taylor high and got abused. Not going to stop Taylor hitting him above the waist but Iowa sure tried, and failed.

Reactions: iahawks10
How about another game where a starting corner got pulled because he couldn't contend with the opposing receivers. And then his replacement got abused?
Good defense. Designed to bend not break.
Not elite
Parker pulled Ojemudia after one 52 yard play and Parker should be embarrassed for it. Everybody gets beat and Ojemudia has earned enough credit to let a good receiver beat him once. Benching a guy for that is ridiculous and it essentially cost Iowa the game. Blaming Ojemudia for Parker's inability to not blow his top off is disingenuous at best.

Iowa's defense can play with anybody, including LSU.

Reactions: iahawks10
Iowa’s defense is fine - but Phil played right into their hands by playing cover 4 too much with 2 high safeties. They should consider a heavier 5-2 alignment against that team. You have to make a team play left handed and they failed to do that again. Ultimately that game was on the offense though not taking advantage of an early turnover to get a touchdown and capitalizing on early momentum to get and keep a lead. Wisconsin can’t lean on you as much if they’re behind.

Parker has done an amazing job with this defense. I don't think the DBs are NFLers. I don't think any of the LBs are and I don't think the DTs on this team are either. yet he has them playing great defense and has patched holes pretty well but Wisconsin has the offense and personnel to do damage against Iowa anyway. Same as PSU in the second half of that game especially with Doyle at MLB. Also think Minnesota will put up lots of yards and points.

Reactions: ctghawk
While I agree that he destroyed them, it would have looked a LOT different if Iowa had any presence on offense. Scoring only 6 points in the 1st 3 quarters, and failing to be a threat, allowed Wisconsin to just ride their star RB and wear Iowa out.
Finally Iowa filled the offensive stat sheets in the 4th quarter, but where were they the rest of the game? Is that a coaching issue. Mind-set problem? What?
Iowa punted 4 times, they scored 5 times, they had 1 TO- scoring on 50% of possessions is good.

Iowa completed 60% of their passes for 2 TDs - this is good.

Iowa’s running backs averaged 4.9, 5.2, and 5.2 yds per carry. This is good.

Iowa won the field pos game. This is good

Iowa’s offense ran 51 plays from scrimmage- this is bad.

they ran only 51 plays because the D could not get off the field and gave up emasculating amounts of yardage on the ground.

Wisconsin ran 69 plays, and had over 16 minutes of time of possession advantage.

Frustration with the O in general is understandable.

Frustration with the O as the culprit of the outcome last Saturday is really misguided.

They manufactured enough points to win most Iowa games, arguably would have scored more if the D was remotely proficient in getting them the ball back on Saturday.

outcome stunk for everyone, objectivity for what happen is lost on most

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Parker pulled Ojemudia after one 52 yard play and Parker should be embarrassed for it. Everybody gets beat and Ojemudia has earned enough credit to let a good receiver beat him once. Benching a guy for that is ridiculous and it essentially cost Iowa the game. Blaming Ojemudia for Parker's inability to not blow his top off is disingenuous at best.

Uh, he was in the injury tent. Not benched

Reactions: cecilB
Iowa punted 4 times, they scored 5 times, they had 1 TO- scoring on 50% of possessions is good.

they ran only 51 plays because the D could not get off the field and gave up emasculating amounts of yardage on the ground.

Wisconsin ran 69 plays, and had over 16 minutes of time of possession advantage.

Frustration with the O as the culprit of the outcome last Saturday is really misguided.

They manufactured enough points to win most Iowa games, arguably would have scored more if the D was remotely proficient in getting them the ball back on Saturday.

The O going 1-9 on third down is a big reason the D couldn’t get off the field. They were too busy sitting down, getting a 3 minute break then trotting back out on the field.

This is not a good take. Why did Iowa win the field position game if the defense was so awful? Why is Iowas play count the defense's fault?

The fact is, Iowa was GIVEN the ball in scoring range TWICE and came away with field goals. The offense scoring on those two drives was actually a failure when you consider you need to score at least 1 TD if given the ball twice in scoring position.

This also is indicative of why Iowa had good field position: the defense caused turnovers.

Iowa's offense was a no show until the final 3 minutes. Stanley was 6 of 12 for 40 yards at half, and while the YPC were nice, they barely ran it until midway through the 3rd. 1 of 9 on third down and that lone conversation was in the 4th.

The defense folded late, but this was in no way their fault. If the offense turns those TOs into TDs or they convert on 3rd down and keep drives going, Iowa comes out with a pretty comfortable victory.

It is REALLY hard to be critical of the defense at all considering what the offense has done over the last decade. If we are even middle of the pack on offense we probably have another 20-30 wins in those 10 years.

The O going 1-9 on third down is a big reason the D couldn’t get off the field. They were too busy sitting down, getting a 3 minute break then trotting back out on the field.
Wrong. I’m a big fan of our D, but blaming the O that they were tired is folly in this game. The were tired getting off the bus. They allowed a fb to go over 100 yds in the first half

This is not a good take. Why did Iowa win the field position game if the defense was so awful? Why is Iowas play count the defense's fault?

The fact is, Iowa was GIVEN the ball in scoring range TWICE and came away with field goals. The offense scoring on those two drives was actually a failure when you consider you need to score at least 1 TD if given the ball twice in scoring position.

This also is indicative of why Iowa had good field position: the defense caused turnovers.

Iowa's offense was a no show until the final 3 minutes. Stanley was 6 of 12 for 40 yards at half, and while the YPC were nice, they barely ran it until midway through the 3rd. 1 of 9 on third down and that lone conversation was in the 4th.

The defense folded late, but this was in no way their fault. If the offense turns those TOs into TDs or they convert on 3rd down and keep drives going, Iowa comes out with a pretty comfortable victory.
Listen, the bad take is being an apologist for the D in this game. That’s the side of where I have a few battle scars, I believe PP is one of the best I the biz. It was an awful showing, and they would be, and were the first to admit it

It is REALLY hard to be critical of the defense at all considering what the offense has done over the last decade. If we are even middle of the pack on offense we probably have another 20-30 wins in those 10 years.
Absolutely, they have carried the program. Saturday wasn’t their finest hour

I’m not sure you’re accurate

Wrong. I’m a big fan of our D, but blaming the O that they were tired is folly in this game. The were tired getting off the bus. They allowed a fb to go over 100 yds in the first half[/QUOTE

You have to do better than run 51 offensive plays and 1-9 on third did against Wisconsin to keep the ball away from them so they can’t wear down the Iowa and run it down their throats. Is that better for you?

no, You weren't paying attention to what actually occurred.

No D in the world is tired on the 3rd, 4th and 5th possession of the 1st half after playing only 8 plays up to that point. Nor does a top tier D like Iowa's get tired after playing 13 plays in the 3rd quarter. They were fresh enough, but incapable of stopping Tayler - worse D performance in a long, long time.

drive wisc plays/result iowa plays result
Wisc Receives
1/ 5 punt / 4 punt
2 / 3 fum / 4fg
3 / 11 fga / 6 fum
4 / 7 td / 8 fg
5/ 13 TD / kneel down

Half time
Iowa Receives
6/ 3 punt / 4 punt
7/ 6 punt / 4 punt
8/ 4 td / 3 punt
9/ 3 int / 9 td
10/ 10 fg / 10 fg
11/ 8 kneel down/ 1 TD

I get the narrative for many is HC Ferentz is conservative and unimaginative, OC Ferentz isn't -fill in the blank, and Phil Parker is the man. Of course the O didn't score enough or sustain enough drives to keep Tayler off the field. However, the D's in ability to stop Tayler was game, set, match and kept the iowa O off the field...and fatigue due to the offensive production, or lack of - WAS NOT the case.

Every single LB and DB tried to tackle Taylor high and got abused. Not going to stop Taylor hitting him above the waist but Iowa sure tried, and failed.

Oh My God, this!! I'm assuming you were yelling at your TV as much as I was during that game.
Hell, bring in a rugby coach to teach proper tackling because the "slam into him hard and hope he falls over" doesn't work.

"camickle - While I agree that he destroyed them, it would have looked a LOT different if Iowa had any presence on offense. Scoring only 6 points in the 1st 3 quarters, and failing to be a threat, allowed Wisconsin to just ride their star RB and wear Iowa out.
Finally Iowa filled the offensive stat sheets in the 4th quarter, but where were they the rest of the game? Is that a coaching issue. Mind-set problem? What?
Iowa punted 4 times, they scored 5 times, they had 1 TO- scoring on 50% of possessions is good."

This was entirely the point. While I appreciate your post, it is very complete.
I believe Iowa had a total of 88 actual yards of offense in the 1st half, with a drive ended with a sack, one with a fumble, and one that THE DEFENSE took the ball away at the Wisconsin 17 yard line, then got a Penalty to move it to the 8 - YES SCORE..... Nope... 3 points. We rolled 3 plays for 2 yards.

For the 3rd Quarter after making some serious adjustments -- 26 yards and 3 punts until we suddenly found a pulse with 2:16 left in the 3rd. Which is when this suddenly prolific offense jumps into the game for the Hawkeyes.

The Question is that we see the offense come alive, but only when it is in an attempt to save the game, that we played NOT TO LOSE up until then. WHY?
Again, where were we the rest of the game? Is it coaching? Mind-set? What?

We were running the ball well in this one, but then the QB pressure got us drug down yet again. That has been the achillies of the O much of this year.

My major concern is that we appear to HAVE the TALENT to compete with anyone and everyone this year, but there is something amiss there. They were a FORCE on Offense in the end of the 3rd and through the 4th Quarter. How do they harness that and play that way through 4 quarters and win football games, rather than play them close and try to 'pull them out' IF they can stop them.

Last edited:
He doesn't look like he's playing at a good weight to me. He seems sluggish.
Still think its as much because he's playing many more snaps in the big games then last season. Of course many complained about his snap count last year, but there's no way he was going to be as productive as last season on a per snap basis. That and he is being gameplanned against. Much like AC's senior year.

"camickle - While I agree that he destroyed them, it would have looked a LOT different if Iowa had any presence on offense. Scoring only 6 points in the 1st 3 quarters, and failing to be a threat, allowed Wisconsin to just ride their star RB and wear Iowa out.

This was entirely the point. While I appreciate your post, it is very complete.
I believe Iowa had a total of 88 actual yards of offense in the 1st half, with a drive ended with a sack, one with a fumble, and one that THE DEFENSE took the ball away at the Wisconsin 17 yard line, then got a Penalty to move it to the 8 - YES SCORE..... Nope... 3 points. We rolled 3 plays for 2 yards.

For the 3rd Quarter after making some serious adjustments -- 26 yards and 3 punts until we suddenly found a pulse with 2:16 left in the 3rd. Which is when this suddenly prolific offense jumps into the game for the Hawkeyes.

The Question is that we see the offense come alive, but only when it is in an attempt to save the game, that we played NOT TO LOSE up until then. WHY?
Again, where were we the rest of the game? Is it coaching? Mind-set? What?

We were running the ball well in this one, but then the QB pressure got us drug down yet again. That has been the achillies of the O much of this year.

My major concern is that we appear to HAVE the TALENT to compete with anyone and everyone this year, but there is something amiss there. They were a FORCE on Offense in the end of the 3rd and through the 4th Quarter. How do they harness that and play that way through 4 quarters and win football games, rather than play them close and try to 'pull them out' IF they can stop them.
I don’t disagree w/ much of what you said, except for the O being responsible for the D wearing out. The D DID NOT defend an above average number of plays, nor did they play enough plays where Wisky leaning on them was the cause. They dominated on the ground from the get go. Frankly I was shocked every time Wisconsin threw. It was either penalty induced, or they tried to occasionally get cute.

Parker has done an amazing job with this defense. I don't think the DBs are NFLers. I don't think any of the LBs are and I don't think the DTs on this team are either. yet he has them playing great defense and has patched holes pretty well but Wisconsin has the offense and personnel to do damage against Iowa anyway. Same as PSU in the second half of that game especially with Doyle at MLB. Also think Minnesota will put up lots of yards and points.
I don't feel Minnesota will have a great offensive game. Hawks will win if their offense is opened up a little.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT