ADVERTISEMENT

The Iowa Defense isn’t elite. They are highly overrated and overhyped.

NorthernHawkeye

HR Legend
Dec 23, 2007
Played average to poor teams in the first four games.

With the game on the line, when it mattered the most they gave up a 99 yard drive to Iowa State. And let's not forget that in that 10-7 loss, Iowa State left 14 points on the field having turned it over twice in the endzone as they were about to score.

And now Michigan. Getting gashed all over the field. And it started right from the first Michigan drive with a fresh defense.

It's time to be honest folks.

With the game on the line, when it mattered the most they gave up a 99 yard drive to Iowa State. And let's not forget that in that 10-7 loss, Iowa State left 14 points on the field having turned it over twice in the endzone as they were about to score.

And now Michigan. Getting gashed all over the field. And it started right from the first Michigan drive with a fresh defense.

Agree. Total BS. This is not an elite defense

Agree. Total BS. This is not an elite defense
Although the KF-BF offensive braintrust sucks so bad that it’s almost impossible to do anything on defense. Take a look at the offensive output over the last six games… all your need to know. This is as bad as it gets and three people are to blame - Barta-KF-BF.

Reactions: redghost1974

Michigan looked much stronger and faster. They are very well coached. I believe we’re seeing the beginning of the for the Ferentz era. I hope.

Your blaming defense for being on the field so long and getting tired? They did very well against a good Michigan. I was disappointed in not figuring out how to stop the run attack though

Reactions: HungryHawk
Complimentary football would help, sometimes it helps if the offense can control the game to take pressure off the defense, cannot expect them to carry the load every week.

Reactions: HungryHawk
The defense is a little over rated. Of course theyu shine against their previous foes. They did a good job against UM. It is entirely the offense. Don't worry, Captain Kirk will not fire his son.

Reactions: Nihilist Rodgers
No not elite, which is a stupid word used way too frequently. But this is a very good defense. Maybe overrated, but likely because of unrealistic expectations. They will continue to look worse as the season wears on unfortunately because they will be trying to carry this team all year long.

No they aren't perfect, but certainly good enough to deem any thread calling them out as a problem, on the whole, stupid.

If the offense was even average and kept the defense off the field a little more they would be better than they are. They have to wear down as the game progresses

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I'll take "Stupid Posts" for $2,000 Alex.

D held the best scoring offense in the country to 20 pts not including garbage time TD. Midway through the 3rd quarter our offense had been on the field for less than 11 minutes. The D can only do so much. Open your eyes.

I'll take "Stupid Posts" for $2,000 Alex.

D held the best scoring offense in the country to 20 pts not including garbage time TD. Midway through the 3rd quarter our offense had been on the field for less than 11 minutes. The D can only do so much. Open your eyes.
Spot on here

Reactions: Lostgirl57
They do need to be better against the run. At times Corum was hit after 2 yards but pushed the pile for another 5 yards.

Can’t have that. 2nd and 8 versus 2nd and 3 is huge.

We will lose to Illinois unless the Rush D improves.

Good pass-rushing DL, weak against the run.

And I’ll say it: Moss is the weak link in the secondary

I disagree on pass rush. Evans is undersized and Waggoner is not super athletic. Shannon on small side. Van Ness seems to stick out for play making. Iowa gets a consistent push on pass rush, but doesn't get ton of sacks. So far, We've only played two real P5 teams (ISU and Michigan) and are 0-2. Rutgers is a bottomfeeder year in and year out.

Secondary is okay...they're more ball hawks that make you pay with INTs then cover guys. There are only a handful of White CBs in all of college football and Iowa has two---that is not a racist statement, just an observation that most coaches do not think white guys are good at CB position based on who they play. The NFL concurs.

Iowa is a top4 defense in B1G.. The B1G isn't very good at football, if you consider competing for National Titles the yardstick.

It’s rough to be on the field for 2/3 of the game.

They weren't tired when Michigan rolled down the field on the first drive. The D line is average at best. I know everyone gets a chubby when VanNess makes a crap O line like Rutgers look bad but there isn't a gap-filling run-stuffer on that unit.

Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
I disagree on pass rush. Evans is undersized and Waggoner is not super athletic. Shannon on small side. Van Ness seems to stick out for play making. Iowa gets a consistent push on pass rush, but doesn't get ton of sacks. So far, We've only played two real P5 teams (ISU and Michigan) and are 0-2. Rutgers is a bottomfeeder year in and year out.

Secondary is okay...they're more ball hawks that make you pay with INTs then cover guys. There are only a handful of White CBs in all of college football and Iowa has two---that is not a racist statement, just an observation that most coaches do not think white guys are good at CB position based on who they play. The NFL concurs.

Iowa is a top4 defense in B1G.. The B1G isn't very good at football, if you consider competing for National Titles the yardstick.

Applause.

Reactions: UalKoebs
The dline was owned in the first half. They actually played better in the second half with the usual lousy offense.

Like clockwork, Iowa defense gives up more than 20 points against a top team nationally and it’s their fault, while the offense puts up 7 points before garbage time and can’t stay on the field or finish drives

I’m going to call “the notion that Iowa’s defense needs to play perfect ball and the offense should never have to step up to win a game”… Battered Iowa Fan Syndrome

Fact: the best teams in college football (like Michigan, for example) have good defenses AND offenses, and can win games even when one unit doesn’t have the best day

Michigan has weapons , They are good on O and didn't turn the ball over , Iowa's defense has had better Days but in the end it always falls back to that garbage offense and KFs refusal to try to spark the O by bringing in a QB with a pulse who doesn't look like he swallowed every pill in the drawer ending in Pam. this is what Iowa is until a QB change is made, Iowa had Guys open all game and Petras missed so many throws in the 1st half that put the D right back on the Field. I have never seen a QB at this level with the experience level with worse vision and lack of going thru progressions who panics in clean pockets.

They are on the field for 90% of the game and are dang near top of the nation for points allowed and yards allowed. They are elite.

If we had even a HS style offense they’d be even better with a little rest and better field position.

Reactions: UalKoebs
don’t forget the injuries. Iowa was either completely missing some key personnel, or some weren’t at 100%.

• Haha
Michigan totally Harbaugh'd after the 20-0 lead and pulled the plug on the offense. The domination of the game wasn't anywhere close to the final score. You all know that.

Michigan totally Harbaugh'd after the 20-0 lead and pulled the plug on the offense. The domination of the game wasn't anywhere close to the final score. You all know that.
Lol… when going into Iowa and winning by two scores isn’t enough

As much as I would like to disagree this is probably true.

Not having Jacobs, Roberts, or an offense to speak of makes it tough. Still pretty good but not as good as we were hoping for

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT