ADVERTISEMENT

The Karen phenomenon

l.todd

HR MVP
Dec 21, 2004
I am an older guy, 56. I have felt like I have seen this coming for years. I first read about it in an article about a month ago. Then the Central Park dog walker showed up, and the Arizona woman at the convenience store, and now there is a thread on here about a woman (trans?) berating the police, and particularly a black policeman, calling him a Judas to his race. It seems to have been happening for awhile, but getting more open, and commented on, more often. I really think most men know better than to behave like this, for the most part. Why? Because it is acceptable for a guy acting like this to get busted in the chops or taken down violently. I think most people kind of expect this to happen. But I think it is the opposite for the Karens. I think they know they are relatively safe from the kind of retaliation that would be leveled against a man doing the same thing. If you know society would severely frown upon any violence committed against you, even if you were absolutely heinous in your language and behavior, you would be a lot more willing to get out there and behave this way. Don't get me wrong, I have a wife and daughter and don't condone the violence, but a guy knows if he does this stuff he could get his ass kicked, but a lot of women know they won't.

I am an older guy, 56. I have felt like I have seen this coming for years. I first read about it in an article about a month ago. Then the Central Park dog walker showed up, and the Arizona woman at the convenience store, and now there is a thread on here about a woman (trans?) berating the police, and particularly a black policeman, calling him a Judas to his race. It seems to have been happening for awhile, but getting more open, and commented on, more often. I really think most men know better than to behave like this, for the most part. Why? Because it is acceptable for a guy acting like this to get busted in the chops or taken down violently. I think most people kind of expect this to happen. But I think it is the opposite for the Karens. I think they know they are relatively safe from the kind of retaliation that would be leveled against a man doing the same thing. If you know society would severely frown upon any violence committed against you, even if you were absolutely heinous in your language and behavior, you would be a lot more willing to get out there and behave this way. Don't get me wrong, I have a wife and daughter and don't condone the violence, but a guy knows if he does this stuff he could get his ass kicked, but a lot of women know they won't.

You might be on to something.

You do realize that for since forever men, especially white men, have been getting away with a shit ton of shit, right? This is called comeuppance. And it looks stupid and ridiculous and even hypocritical at times. But this is what it looks like when people express being fed the ƒuck up with centuries upon centuries of patriarchy, white patriarchy in this country. It is what it is. Oh, and the most loony of the loony are always those whose videos end up being shared the most. So take all this shit with a massive grain of salt.

Good points.

They would have been more enjoyable with paragraphs.

Reactions: RunRonnieRun
You do realize that for since forever men, especially white men, have been getting away with a shit ton of shit, right? This is called comeuppance. And it looks stupid and ridiculous and even hypocritical at times. But this is what it looks like when people express being fed the ƒuck up with centuries upon centuries of patriarchy, white patriarchy in this country. It is what it is. Oh, and the most loony of the loony are always those whose videos end up being shared the most. So take all this shit with a massive grain of salt.

The Arizona woman at the convenience store was fed up with centuries of patriarchy?

The Arizona woman at the convenience store was fed up with centuries of patriarchy?
I'm speaking to the general tenor of one branch of the tree of angst we're seeing. There are a lot of people pissed off at the rigged economy—Bernie's popularity and Trump's rise are both emblematic of this. There are a lot of people tired of systemic racism. Thus the protests. There are a lot of people whose entitlement simply cannot and will not tolerate any inconvenience to their self-centered lives. Thus those losing their shit over mask-wearing. And on an on. We're a country of emotional wrecks, some of it more defendable than others.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder

I don't disagree with your agenda on the whole. I think you mean well and I support a lot of what you've say on here. However, I will say, present generations should not have to pay for the crimes of their forefathers. Do we need to move on and fix this shitshow now? Hell yes! Do we need to punish those living now for what people did multiple generations ago to achieve some re-balance of justice? How would you begin to even measure that? it's nonsensical and all it does is breed more contempt. Wronging the people of today will never right the wrongs of the past.

Vengeance is a tomb all-encompassing

Last edited:
Reactions: l.todd

that’s sexist

Isn't a male Karen a Todd?

29h0ujqczqr11.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT