ADVERTISEMENT

The KKK and Jim Crow in Iowa

Herkmeister

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2006
Watching a documentary on IPTV. I did not realize the Klan had such a history in Iowa.

How did I ever think we were above this?

The University of Iowa and Iowa City had many areas off limits to blacks. I had no idea of this. Very disappointing.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Had 3-6 million members at its peak. So I'm guessing there aren't many places in America without Klan history.
Thinking around the Klan's peak time period. America had around 110 million residents. That would make a good chunk off the country Klan.

Herk...you take this stuff way to personal! Hell, it is all history...it is what it is. Iowans are no different than any one else. People are people.
The one thing that really pisses me off is al, this "Iowa Value" bullshit we here living here in Iowa....Iowans ain't any different than folks from Illinois, Texas, Washington or Ohio. And they are not any different than us! What makes us unique is environment and exposure. All things being equal, we are all the same.
Yeah....the Klan was a big player in Ioway once.....and Klan attitudes are something we ALL need to be mindful of........"there but for the Grace of God, go I"......

Herk...you take this stuff way to personal! Hell, it is all history...it is what it is. Iowans are no different than any one else. People are people.
The one thing that really pisses me off is al, this "Iowa Value" bullshit we here living here in Iowa....Iowans ain't any different than folks from Illinois, Texas, Washington or Ohio. And they are not any different than us! What makes us unique is environment and exposure. All things being equal, we are all the same.
Yeah....the Klan was a big player in Ioway once.....and Klan attitudes are something we ALL need to be mindful of........"there but for the Grace of God, go I"......

Much truth to what you say. I've found people are people no matter the state or country.

However...…………….. the fact that George Washington Carver was able to attend college in Iowa after being rejected in Missouri somehow led me to believe that Iowa was accepting of all people. This was enhanced by the fact he became a professor at Iowa State after graduating from Simpson.

Damn it Joel, as a group I think we're pretty good folks. (You being the exception of course.) ;)

Much truth to what you say. I've found people are people no matter the state or country.

However...…………….. the fact that George Washington Carver was able to attend college in Iowa after being rejected in Missouri somehow led me to believe that Iowa was accepting of all people. This was enhanced by the fact he became a professor at Iowa State after graduating from Simpson.

Damn it Joel, as a group I think we're pretty good folks. (You being the exception of course.) ;)
Sometimes, we can be!
But honestly, for the most part most people are pretty good to each other most of the time. Hell, I even had friends growing up who lived in Knoxville! I had classmates that dated and even married gals from Osky! Now, is that turning a blind eye or what?

Sometimes, we can be!
But honestly, for the most part most people are pretty good to each other most of the time. Hell, I even had friends growing up who lived in Knoxville! I had classmates that dated and even married gals from Osky! Now, is that turning a blind eye or what?

You know 50% of genes come from Osky, right? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

We already have the liberals version of the KKK, it's now called the Klan with a Tan (BLM). Marching and torching near a town by you.

An eye for an eye...…..

170212-moss-eye-for-an-eye-tease_magg2k

We already have the liberals version of the KKK, it's now called the Klan with a Tan (BLM). Marching and torching near a town by you.

Well let’s keep them in line with some sweet lynchings like we did before all of those civil rights pussies ruined everything and when America was great!

It’s crazy to think, or rather not know, if posters on this board had Klan members in their family.

The KKK peaked in membership in 1925 with about
5 to 6 million members.

Today, the KKK is estimated to have 5 to 6 thousand
members.

Bottom Line: Their influence today is created by the
media as a sensational story. In reality their influence
has waned greatly. They are part of the old South
which hated black people for no good reason.

Reactions: INXS83
The KKK peaked in membership in 1925 with about
5 to 6 million members.

Today, the KKK is estimated to have 5 to 6 thousand
members.

Bottom Line: Their influence today is created by the
media as a sensational story. In reality their influence
has waned greatly. They are part of the old South
which hated black people for no good reason.
No they had good reason a major social/economic change was thrust upon them. Groups will do what it takes to maintain their way of life.

Most of my family on my fathers side lived around Millersburg, Iowa. Back in the 1960s my grandmother was cleaning out my great grandfathers basement at his grocery store and found a Klan outfit.

It was evidently a big deal back in the 1930s in Iowa but it wasn’t evolved around black folk. It was against Catholics. The Methodist and Lutheran Churches absolutely hated the Catholics back then. Don’t know why really.

Most of my family on my fathers side lived around Millersburg, Iowa. Back in the 1960s my grandmother was cleaning out my great grandfathers basement at his grocery store and found a Klan outfit.

It was evidently a big deal back in the 1930s in Iowa but it wasn’t evolved around black folk. It was against Catholics. The Methodist and Lutheran Churches absolutely the Catholics back then. Don’t know why really.

My dad was a teenager in the 1930s. This was his recollection, too.

There were chapters in MN too.

"Minnesota might not seem like an obvious place to look for traces of Ku Klux Klan parade grounds, but this northern state was once home to fifty-one chapters of the KKK. Elizabeth Hatle tracks down the history of the Klan in Minnesota, beginning with the racially charged atmosphere that produced the tragic 1920 Duluth lynchings. She measures the influence the organization wielded at the peak of its prominence within state politics and tenaciously follows the careers of the Klansmen who continued life in the public sphere after the Hooded Order lost its foothold in the Land of Ten Thousand Lakes."

Reactions: Herkmeister
My grandfather told me that when he went to the Pacific theater in WW2, he hated the southern men because of how they treated the black men.

My dad talked about it in the context of a conversation about a predominantly black town of about 5000 near their farm (Buxton, IA). He said that the residents (kids his age) there he had spoken to regarding rumored Klan meetings in the area were not worried about the Klan, as it was well known that the Klan's major purpose was to resist Roman Catholicism. The "damned papists" and "idolaters" were very hated in that area at that time.

It’s crazy to think, or rather not know, if posters on this board had Klan members in their family.

It was evidently a big deal back in the 1930s in Iowa but it wasn’t evolved around black folk. It was against Catholics. The Methodist and Lutheran Churches absolutely hated the Catholics back then. Don’t know why really.

That certainly spoils the Black narrative they were the sole victims of the KKK.

My dad was born in 1926. He told me that when he was a kid, black people who arrived in Davenport were told to move on. It stayed that way until WWII and all the people moving into the RI Arsenal. No clan here really, as it was primarily a Catholic town.

FWIW, he also told me that the Red Light District in Davenport was the area at the base of the Arsenal Bridge. Lots of Whore Houses there. Changed in WWII when the Feds shut it down because too many service members were getting the Clap.

QC was very much a wide open town back in the day. I can remember betting in bars on football games, and that did not get cracked down on until the 1980's. I played barrel of fun at the local Cigar store in the late 1960's and the bars had them behind the counters until the early 80's.

Times have changed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT