ADVERTISEMENT

The last known Japanese who participated in the attack on Pearl Harbor has passed away.

Hawaii is also a very popular destination for Japanese visitors (about the same distance as it is from California). I was surprised to see so many Japanese tourists at Pearl Harbor when I was there, though. Even Mrs. Tradition (no pics) commented on it. She said, "I wouldn't show my face here if I was Japanese."

Hawaii is also a very popular destination for Japanese visitors (about the same distance as it is from California). I was surprised to see so many Japanese tourists at Pearl Harbor when I was there, though. Even Mrs. Tradition (no pics) commented on it. She said, "I wouldn't show my face here if I was Japanese."

Going down a rabbit hole here, but I wonder if American tourists visit Hiroshima and Nagasaki memorial sites?

Utah was a target ship…Japanese wasted a lot of munitions on it.
According to his account they had been specifically told to avoid the Utah because it had no combat value. The pilot of his airplane most likely was confused due to the heavy smoke by the time they joined the attack that he misidentified the Utah as a preferred target.

According to his account they had been specifically told to avoid the Utah because it had no combat value. The pilot of his airplane most likely was confused due to the heavy smoke by the time they joined the attack that he misidentified the Utah as a preferred target.

The big deal was that the carriers weren't there. That was the point of the surprise attack and they failed to know the carriers were out to sea on exercise maneuvers. Complete intel failure.

Why? The war has been over for a few years. Since they are already there in Hawaii, why not visit such a historical place and have a somber reflection?
Incidentally, I have heard stories about lots of Japanese visiting islands such as Guam and Saipan, and going up into the hills, or finding a spot to make an impromptu shrine to a long lost relative. So many Japanese soldiers died on remote islands with no attempt to ever locate and identify remains that they don't have a specific place to visit.

Why? The war has been over for a few years. Since they are already there in Hawaii, why not visit such a historical place and have a somber reflection?

For the same reason that I asked if it would be appropriate for me to visit a Hiroshima memorial and if anyone would think I shouldn't show my face there.

For the same reason that I asked if it would be appropriate for me to visit a Hiroshima memorial and if anyone would think I shouldn't show my face there.
Why wouldn't you? Visiting that area of Japan isn't as popular as visiting Hawaii, but if you happened to be in the neighborhood why wouldn't you visit such an impactful place as the peace memorial at Hiroshima?

Why wouldn't you? Visiting that area of Japan isn't as popular as visiting Hawaii, but if you happened to be in the neighborhood why wouldn't you visit such an impactful place as the peace memorial at Hiroshima?

I definitely would visit if I was there, but I'd be worried locals wouldn't want me there.

Your wife, unsurprisingly, seems to be as dumb as you are.

Reactions: preshlock
The locals are okay with you being there. They just wish you wouldn’t drop your cigarette butts on the ground.

LOL, please! Japanese people smoke cigarettes like they're going out of style! At the smoking area of the Hilton Hawaiian Village resort, it was 90% Japanese people hanging out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT