ADVERTISEMENT

The last time we had a stud 4 star QB recruit followed by....

TonyTheTiger.1865

HR All-American
Sep 23, 2011
a low rated 3 star QB recruit from Ohio the following year it was Jake Christensen and Rick Stanzi. Just pointing out that nothing is a sure thing.

Reactions: mariner67
Based on what? He’s shown nothing

2km.gif

I like his high school tape and he played at a school where an NFL quarterback played as a kid.

Totally understand high school isn't the BT but he comes from a good home, old man an MD, and he seems to have unreal potential.

Who would you rather have be correct, me or you?
You for sure I hope he’s a stud. You just never know really. We have had some good ones recently tho

I expect Petras to be marginally better than Stan. Now he may stretch the margins, but I don't necessarily see a heisman type guy. I think he has the leadership and performance qualities we need to be successful, hopefully very successful.

With qbs you never know till the bullets start flying. Probably the same for every position, but fans notice it most with qbs. I like the demeanor of both in interviews. But that doesn’t mean a whole lot if they don’t produce

From an outsiders POV, you have a RS Sophmore heir apparent with buzz in Spencer Petras.

The incoming True Freshmen 4 star QB in Deuce Hogan who had some major offers

Even Padilla who was another "fallback QB recruit" got a Georgia offer and word on the street is he's further along than expected as a RS Freshman.

Iowa's depth chart is daunting. Iowa can sell QB recruits on playing time. We aren't a Blueblood that's gonna get a 4 star every cycle. I completely understand why QBs have shied away this cycle.

Iowa has done quite well poaching MAC commits. This is a nice depth move imo

Reactions: bojihawk44
When Kirk publicly praises an unproven player, I tend to lean on the optimistic side.

Not to mention the questionable bet I made with a Rams fan that he'll be better than Goff...

And how much opportunity has he had to show anything? LOL

Exactly. It's like any position. But QB more so than others as no one can adequately predict how a QB will react when he has to make decisions on the fly. The QB, more than any other position, has to be able to be successful when not everything is on script. That's true of any position, but at QB it's amplified by 100 times. Can he feel the rush, move one step to avoid pressure, look at the right receiver who is coming open and deliver the ball? Or is he only good when everything is perfect? It's a difference between an adequate QB and a really good one.
We'll find out about Petras here in short order. He's done something right to be the clear-cut leader at this point. If he doesn't play well, it will be somebody else. I know people want more certainty than that, but we won't have it until he plays.

Based on what? He’s shown nothing
I guess I'd go with the kudos and comments shared by the Iowa coaches and players who've seen Spencer every day. Sure, he hasn't had the chance to officially lead the charge - but when his mentor (Stanley), receivers on the team, and his OC + QB coach say they have confidence in Spencer … well … I guess that is good enough for me.

Speaking of QB's, 2* Ohio pro style QB, committs to Ball State. It appears the Hawks was the only power 5 to offer.

LINK:

With qbs you never know till the bullets start flying. Probably the same for every position, but fans notice it most with qbs. I like the demeanor of both in interviews. But that doesn’t mean a whole lot if they don’t produce

No, it's not the same for every position and it's not just that the fans notice it most. It's reality that no position comes close to testing a number of mental capabilities under pressure as does the QB position.

There are reasons to be optimistic about Petras. There are no reasons to be pessimistic. Insofar as he's never really played there is no reason to be certain of anything about Spencer.

He excelled in HS. His HS has produced some very good QBs and Spencer smashed their records. He played tough HS competition and had 50 TDs and 2 Ints his senior year, plus around 4100 yards so he wasn't just dumping off short passes. He scored 16 rushing TDs, probably on broken plays, so he has at least some mobility.

Spencer was obviously the heir apparent, that's the KF system. Given the last six seasons we should have confidence that this staff recognizes, develops and then plays good QBs.

Those are all reasons to be optimistic about Spencer. He will probably not be as good as Nate right from the jump but Spencer also has a much better group of receivers than Nate had as a sophomore starter.

Last edited:
Reactions: mariner67
Labas is a take for sure. Even if he isn't the guy down the road he can transfer out. If he is called upon he should be able to step up.

ADVERTISEMENT