ADVERTISEMENT

The latest: House debates first of two measures related to abortion

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Despite the rise in public support for abortion rights in the wake of the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade in 2022, House Republicans on Wednesday urged the chamber to pass two abortion-related measures. One would “condemn attacks” on pregnancy crisis centers, while the other would force medical practitioners to provide care to infants who survive abortions — a very rare occurrence.
During floor debate on the first resolution, Democrats remained united against both measures, with freshman Rep. Maxwell Frost (D-Fla.) saying the motion to “condemn attacks” is a “one-sided resolution meant to fan the flames of antiabortion and anti-freedom sentiment in this country.”
“As someone whose birth mother made the brave and difficult decision to put me up for adoption, I recognize that that decision was deeply personal and can often mark one of the most vulnerable points in a person’s life,” Frost said. “No one should take advantage of that, and the federal government should actually protect it.”
Republicans, in their arguments, said attacks on “pro-life facilities, groups and churches” in the wake of the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization decision amounted to political violence.
“This resolution is very simple and its language is clear,” said Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio). “It also calls upon the Biden administration to take action now to bring the perpetrators to justice. Who could be opposed to that?”
Democrats argued that Republicans were seeking to “mislead the American people” about what “crisis pregnancy centers” are.
“Let me make it plain: Crisis pregnancy centers are no place to go to for reproductive health care,” said Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-Mass.). “They are sham clinics that coerce folks seeking to terminate a pregnancy.”

ADVERTISEMENT