ADVERTISEMENT

The latest: Liberal Democrats signal they’ll back bills forcing rail labor deal

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Liberal Democrats in the House signaled on Wednesday morning that they would support a pair of bills to force a contract deal between rail carriers and unions that would preempt a nationwide rail strike.
The House is expected to vote Wednesday on the bills, including one that would ratify a union contract brokered earlier this year by the White House. It will also separately vote on a bill backed by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) that grants workers seven paid sick days.
Previously it remained unclear whether the liberal wing of the Democratic Party would torpedo the Biden-endorsed bill that does not include paid sick days, a sticking point for rail workers who do not receive paid sick time.
“We have been able to mandate that any House legislation to codify the existing tentative agreement will be accompanied by legislation that addresses the workers’ long standing demand for fair paid leave,” Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.), chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, said in a statement.
Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said the Senate will work to pass the agreement as quickly as possible after the House votes on it, probably on Wednesday. A strike deadline has been set for Dec. 9 at midnight.

Rail labor has not had a fair shake coming to there contract. It has always been n decided by a PEB that has never been fair to rail labor Railroads always force it to a PEB board delay delay delay.

I wonder which 3 Rs broke ranks? And whether they are returning next year.

If there are a few reasonable Rs in the House next year, we might still be able to get some things done on climate change and infrastructure.

The problem, of course, is that even if there are some Rs who might say "yes, I'll vote for green energy projects in my state," that only translates into actually getting those projects if Speaker McCarthy allows such legislation to come to a vote.

Reactions: TheCainer
It's impossible to tell if House Republicans are voting against paid sick leave for rail workers, or just trying to blow up a deal and force a strike so the economy tanks and they can blame Biden.

Now that I think about it, those aren't mutually exclusive.
By separating out the sick leave, they can kill that part in the Senate?

Josh Hawley has turned into Maine Senator Susan Collins by showing concern.

And a handful of Senate Republicans have expressed their opposition to Congress intervening.

"I'm not going to vote to impose this on them against their will with the force of law," said Sen. Josh Hawley on Wednesday.

Like he has ever cared for workers. LOL

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/railroad-strike-house-vote-bill-congress-senate/

It's deplorable that they voted against the government forcing workers to take a contract?
That's a nuance that some won't understand. They prefer the narrative put forth by someone on twitter. Those votes may be against 7 sick days, or they may be against involving Congress and letting the union work it out with the railroads.

Reactions: bladel
It's deplorable that they voted against the government forcing workers to take a contract?
Corporate fascists dominate Congress.

Without bothering to look it up, I'm guessing all the Rs and Manchin voted against the sick leave part. Am I close?

From what I heard Bernie say, not only don't they get paid if they are out sick (unless they use one of their 7 days of vacation) but if they are out sick 3 times they can be fired. So even if they choose to give up pay to hold a sick-out, the Railroads can start replacing them - permanently - in 3 days.

The Reagan Revolution, folks. Outside the public sector unionism is scarce and weak.

Sure, sure, unions aren't as pure as the wind-driven snow, either, but there was a time in this nation when corporate and labor forces were much better balanced. And that time gave us our middle class. Which is now being hollowed out.

Reactions: franklinman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT