ADVERTISEMENT

The left says they are not calling for censorship, but...

Gary is a city. My point being it's incredibly stupid to not blame both political parties for contributing to crime and violence.
The Covid vaccine thing is particularly rich coming from the democrats who were openly hostile to it when trump was in office. Pretty funny.
I don’t care if politicians want to tell their life stories and potentially profit from that. That’s capitalism and the American way.

My point about Barrett’s objectivity is that she has now tied a financial interest to one of her beliefs, in the form of future book sales. If another abortion case were to come before the court, she would be in a bind because any vote she cast or opinion she gave that isn’t consistent with her views expressed in the book could undermine her credibility and hurt future book sales.

It doesn’t matter that Barrett still holds the same beliefs, this book deal creates the APPEARANCE of a conflict of interests and we won’t know whether Barrett made her decision based on the facts and merit of the case or if she simply wanted to protect her financial interest.

I know this is a fairly nuanced topic for many, but those of us in professions involving the “public trust” will understand what I’m getting at; it’s an issue that we frequently encounter.
I understand what you’re getting at. I’m in such a profession. I just don’t agree that the topic is relevant here. I see the coi. But it’s a general coi that applies to politicians and public servants profiting off of said service and the potential that buyers might earn favor. Eg, a Chinese bank buys 7 figures of Bernie books.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
The Covid vaccine thing is particularly rich coming from the democrats who were openly hostile to it when trump was in office. Pretty funny.

I understand what you’re getting it. I’m in such a profession. I just don’t agree that the topic is relevant here. I see the coi. But it’s a general coi that applies to politicians and public servants profiting off of said service and the potential that buyers might earn favor. Eg, a Chinese bank buys 7 figures of Bernie books.
With all due respect, the COI issue is a much bigger deal for a Supreme Court justice v. any other “politician” - or at least it should be.

Remember when Chief Justice Roberts admonished everyone that the Court was apolitical? Politicians are expected to be to be tied to the interests of their constituency, which may be ever changing; hence the term “political expediency”.

But Judges are bound only/exclusively to the law and the constitution, or at least that’s what they tell us. That expectation creates a different standard for judges compared to politicians.

With all due respect, the COI issue is a much bigger deal for a Supreme Court justice v. any other “politician” - or at least it should be.

Remember when Chief Justice Roberts admonished everyone that the Court was apolitical? Politicians are expected to be to be tied to the interests of their constituency, which may be ever changing; hence the term “political expediency”.

But Judges are bound only/exclusively to the law and the constitution, or at least that’s what they tell us. That expectation creates a different standard for judges compared to politicians.
Depends on what she says in the book relative to politics.

but….
Amazon product ASIN B01K3KUHC2
did you whine about this?

No I didn’t. End of her career and talks about her life story. I thought the Barrett book was literally about Roe v wade.
Well, I'm sure you protested this -

9780815728894.jpg

Reactions: Banditking
Well, I'm sure you protested this -

9780815728894.jpg
I wasn’t aware of this book’s existence but agree that I wouldn’t think this is a good idea for him to issue this while he still has many years of jurisprudence ahead of him. When did this book come out?

I wasn’t aware of this book’s existence but agree that I wouldn’t think this is a good idea for him to issue this while he still has many years of jurisprudence ahead of him. When did this book come out?

I think 2016.

Your type of free speech killed Ashli Babbitt and will have caused thousands of ignorant ass Trump supporters to be arrested. Your type of free speech attacks common sense precautions for a contagion which ended up killing hundred of thousands of Americans and shitload of right wing radio hosts.

Your type of free speech is also blinding because none of you can see through it's murderous bullshit.

Keep drinking that free speech koolaid, bruh.
If people can’t see through the bs, they’re stupid. That’s their problem, I do not care.

Reactions: Banditking
Just to be clear, OP didn't bring up the 1st - the letter writers did. OPs point is censorship, which this is attempting to do. So kudos for pointing out the letter writers hypocrisy.
And my usual retort is when the Dixie Chicks spoke against W and the right called for and got their music pulled from radio stations around the country that was “censorship” as well. And protected speech. And a perfectly understandable response to views with which one disagrees. Getting your panties in a knot when ONE side does it is real hypocrisy.

Again you’re conflating the concepts of censorship and freedom of speech with the first amendment.

If you support freedom of speech, you don’t want to censor people.

The first amendment is intended to prevent those who control the government from making it a censor, but the first amendment is not the alpha and omega of either the concept of freedom of speech, or censorship.

Do you think the signers of the letter are correct, that Random House’s decision to move forward with her book is a violation of "international human rights."?

I found this the more interesting part of the story:

The list of dissenters who signed the letter include… various other publishers, authors and members of the press.
Simple enough…if you support freedom of speech you support the freedom to protest the speech of others as long as they do it peacefully. I support freedom of speech in every peaceful form. It appears you draw distinctions.

And my usual retort is when the Dixie Chicks spoke against W and the right called for and got their music pulled from radio stations around the country that was “censorship” as well. And protected speech. And a perfectly understandable response to views with which one disagrees. Getting your panties in a knot when ONE side does it is real hypocrisy.
It sure is.

It wasn’t written or published by him. It includes his dissent in Glossip and a bunch of essays from other authors about it.

I return to my argument that, in general, books and other mediums by which political figures profit from their celebrity brought about by their government service are a COI. But, there’s nothing unique or noteworthy about Barrett’s deal. Note pending books by Sotomayor and others.

I understand what you’re getting at. I’m in such a profession. I just don’t agree that the topic is relevant here. I see the coi. But it’s a general coi that applies to politicians and public servants profiting off of said service and the potential that buyers might earn favor. Eg, a Chinese bank buys 7 figures of Bernie books.
Quit relying on right wing misinformation. Research everything you think you know.

If people can’t see through the bs, they’re stupid. That’s their problem, I do not care.
These people are intelligent people, they're brainwashed and they should be treated like anyone else with a mental illness.

These people are intelligent people, they're brainwashed and they should be treated like anyone else with a mental illness.
Lol intelligent? In your opinion, perhaps. Anyone who can’t think for themselves is a complete dumbass that we’d likely be better off without, but that’s just my opinion.

Lol intelligent? In your opinion, perhaps. Anyone who can’t think for themselves is a complete dumbass that we’d likely be better off without, but that’s just my opinion.
They're controlled. How the **** do you explain General Michael Flynn? A complete dumbass? No, he's controlled, brainwashed, indoctrinated.

They're controlled. How the **** do you explain General Michael Flynn? A complete dumbass? No, he's controlled, brainwashed, indoctrinated.
He’s aware of what’s happening. You make everyone into some sort of hypnosis victim. It’s a gradual decline in character fueled by lying to yourself.

He’s aware of what’s happening. You make everyone into some sort of hypnosis victim. It’s a gradual decline in character fueled by lying to yourself.
All the veterans who chose to believe Trump and attack America while disobeying their military oaths rather than respecting our judicial system aren't stupid, bruh, they listened when they were TOLD to IGNORE the MSM. They believe the fake news mantra, they believe words like hoax and witch hunt contain facts.

Some are stupid, no doubt, but insisting it's all stupidity is an underestimation.

All the veterans who chose to believe Trump and attack America while disobeying their military oaths rather than respecting our judicial system aren't stupid, bruh, they listened when they were TOLD to IGNORE the MSM. They believe the fake news mantra, they believe words like hoax and witch hunt contain facts.

Some are stupid, no doubt, but insisting it's all stupidity is an underestimation.
There’s a lot of truth about MSM being completely full of shit. And they are. However, Fox News is essentially MSM conservative style. You have to toss the shit out of each network’s platform to get to the actual news.

There’s a lot of truth about MSM being completely full of shit. And they are. However, Fox News is essentially MSM conservative style. You have to toss the shit out of each network’s platform to get to the actual news.
Comparing the msm to Fox news is ****ing hilarious, bruh.

Comparing the msm to Fox news is ****ing hilarious, bruh.
Yeah, it sucks, but it’s true. We currently have the worst executive branch in the history of this country, yet almost nothing is said about it. It’s a joke. Like me and 5 drunk friends could do a better job.

Yeah, it sucks, but it’s true. We currently have the worst executive branch in the history of this country, yet almost nothing is said about it. It’s a joke. Like me and 5 drunk friends could do a better job.
Funny that you can't explain WHY it's the worst executive branch in our history. You make the accusation like a good little Hannity but you don't use ANY ****ING FACTS.

Gary Indiana! A shithole runoff from Chicago.
Yes. But it’s in a red state. So, I guess according to our resident leftists, Indiana and not Chicago is most responsible.

Most violent cities in the us routinely. Pretty much 100 percent democrat controlled. But, we are to ignore that and just look to the rest of the state as the problem in red states?

• Detroit, MI.
  • Memphis, TN.
  • Birmingham, AL.
  • Baltimore, MD.
  • St. Louis, MO.
  • Kansas City, MO.
  • Cleveland, OH.
  • Little Rock, AR

Quit relying on right wing misinformation. Research everything you think you know.

Dude. From your fact check.

"The way he (Trump) talks about the vaccine is not particularly rational. He’s talking about it being ready, he’s going to talk about moving it quicker than the scientists think it should be moved … . People don’t believe that he’s telling the truth, therefore they’re not at all certain they’re going to take the vaccine. And one more thing: If and when the vaccine comes, it’s not likely to go through all the tests that need to be done, and the trials that are needed to be done."

In a Sept. 2, 2020 TV interview, Biden referred to political influence over two federal agencies leading the fight against the pandemic, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration. He said:

"Look at what’s happened. Enormous pressure put on the CDC not to put out the detailed guidelines. The enormous pressure being put on the FDA to say they’re going, that the following protocol will in fact reduce, it will have a giant impact on COVID. All these things turn out not to be true, and when a president continues to mislead and lie, when we finally do, God willing, get a vaccine, who’s going to take the shot? Who’s going to take the shot? You going to be the first one to say, ‘Put me — sign me up, they now say it’s OK’? I’m not being facetious."

Looks like you’re the one duped by propaganda here. You might consider actually listening to the politicians on all sides and to what people are actually saying.

Last edited:
Over 500 literary figures have signed an open letter demanding Penguin Random House shut down a book deal with Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett valued at $2 million over her vote to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Soooo...they're exercising their...what do you call it?...oh yeah, freedom of speech. And for the letter writers...this has nothing to do with the First Amendment. The company isn't the govt. They're free to publish her musings or listen to the group calling for them to drop the deal. They get to decide what's in their best interests.
You have no idea what free speech is.

Simple enough…if you support freedom of speech you support the freedom to protest the speech of others as long as they do it peacefully. I support freedom of speech in every peaceful form. It appears you draw distinctions.
They’re not protesting the speech itself.
That’s easily and readily done by addressing whatever points she raises in the book itself.

What they seek is for her to not have her own voice expressed. To keep her away from whatever printing press may allow a third party like me to see her work.

What they seek is censorship. They want to decide what you and I should be able to read.

They’re not protesting the speech itself.
That’s easily and readily done by addressing whatever points she raises in the book itself.

What they seek is for her to not have her own voice expressed. To keep her away from whatever printing press may allow a third party like me to see her work.

What they seek is censorship. They want to decide what you and I should be able to read.
There’s multiple goals.

- act like this is unique and an unprecedented violation of judicial norms
- point out that a republican appointed sc voted against abortion and will continue to do so as people are voting in the midterms
- pair any hint of implicative corruption with anything in the 24h news cycle with gop.
- make it costly to those who would seek gop affiliation. If you’re a dem politician you get Netflix deals and celebrated. If you’re gop, we will stain you with slander of sexism and racism and possibly criminal activity even if we can’t find any evidence of it. We will also go after anyone you love or know. So, think carefully before you throw your hat in the ring.

that’s it.

Reactions: seminole97
Dude. From your fact check.

"The way he (Trump) talks about the vaccine is not particularly rational. He’s talking about it being ready, he’s going to talk about moving it quicker than the scientists think it should be moved … . People don’t believe that he’s telling the truth, therefore they’re not at all certain they’re going to take the vaccine. And one more thing: If and when the vaccine comes, it’s not likely to go through all the tests that need to be done, and the trials that are needed to be done."

In a Sept. 2, 2020 TV interview, Biden referred to political influence over two federal agencies leading the fight against the pandemic, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration. He said:

"Look at what’s happened. Enormous pressure put on the CDC not to put out the detailed guidelines. The enormous pressure being put on the FDA to say they’re going, that the following protocol will in fact reduce, it will have a giant impact on COVID. All these things turn out not to be true, and when a president continues to mislead and lie, when we finally do, God willing, get a vaccine, who’s going to take the shot? Who’s going to take the shot? You going to be the first one to say, ‘Put me — sign me up, they now say it’s OK’? I’m not being facetious."

Looks like you’re the one duped by propaganda here. You might consider actually listening to the politicians on all sides and to what people are actually saying.

You're an idiot. Why did Biden and Harris say they'd refuse a vaccine again? TRUMP.

It's funny that you're soooo up to date on all this but when it comes to Trump purposely downplaying Covid 19 you're soooooo blind.

Drink up, Shriner, go fetch Dr Fauci.

You're an idiot. Why did Biden and Harris say they'd refuse a vaccine again? TRUMP.

It's funny that you're soooo up to date on all this but when it comes to Trump purposely downplaying Covid 19 you're soooooo blind.

Drink up, Shriner, go fetch Dr Fauci.
Was that logical to you? Lol. Dumbass.

ADVERTISEMENT