The Man who saved Iowa Basketball, 2019;

IowaNiceHawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
May 2, 2016
St Donatus, IA
No, not Fran.

This person developed his son into perhaps the
Best low post player, ever to play for the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Thanks go out to Frank Garza, who worked with his son, Luka to
become a dominant center in BIG10 hoops.

Don't buy it?
Try to imagine where this program would be, right now, without
Luka Garza. Certainly not ranked #38 by Pomeroy and knocking on door
of Top 25.
go hawks !!!!! :)

You're not wrong. Garza leading the B1G in scoring. It's his team with a struggling Jbo

No doubt about it. You couldn't ask more from Garza on or off the court. Guy battles like the legendary Hawks we all reference when talking about heart, guts and determination. Never see him take a play off or whine about not getting a call (most of the time) despite not getting multiple calls last night after getting forearms to the head on rebounds.

I hope Garza shines like a beacon to high school kids with his skill set. Fran made a good find here and Garza has worked his ass off to improve. Great recruiting story to tell.

390598cf26f25bbde4a92eb882a1aac7

I also think he's the best, going back to my time at Iowa in the late 60's. Lohaus and Earl were two of my favorites, but I think Garza beats them all.

Garza is one of the most warrior like
big men in the nation. He is only a Jr.
and he rebounds like a man possessed.
On offense he can drain a three pointer
or stuff one in under the basket.

Garza will be first team All-Big Ten at
the end of season. He out works and
out hustles the competition.

Luka is definitely "old school" -- a self-made player who has earned his way with hard work and effort. It is refreshing to see a young man who will likely be a 4 year collegiate player dominate the way he does against the "blue chippers". I would much rather coach and watch a team comprised of Luka Garzas than all the "one and done" blue chippers.

Garza is one of the most warrior like
big men in the nation. He is only a Jr.
and he rebounds like a man possessed.
On offense he can drain a three pointer
or stuff one in under the basket.

Garza will be first team All-Big Ten at
the end of season. He out works and
out hustles the competition.
No...He doesn't play for Maryland, Ohio St. or Michigan.
If he did, then he would have a chance....

Reactions: Ronman and amahawk
Anybody know what Frank Garza's story is?,.. sounds like he works very closely with Luka during the off season..

No, not Fran.

This person developed his son into perhaps the
Best low post player, ever to play for the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Thanks go out to Frank Garza, who worked with his son, Luka to
become a dominant center in BIG10 hoops.

Don't buy it?
Try to imagine where this program would be, right now, without
Luka Garza. Certainly not ranked #38 by Pomeroy and knocking on door
of Top 25.
go hawks !!!!! :)

While I think Garza is very good, I do not think that he is the best low post player to ever play for Iowa. I happen to be old enough to have seen Chuck Darling play for Iowa. He was a consensus All-American in 1952 and a member of the the USA 1956 Olympic Team that won the Gold Medal. Although he was drafted number 8 in the first round of the NBA, he was a geology major and elected to play for the Phillips Oilers AAU team where he was a three time AAU All American. He had a terrific hook shot with either hand and was a great rebounder.

Reactions: skydog0784
While I think Garza is very good, I do not think that he is the best low post player to ever play for Iowa. I happen to be old enough to have seen Chuck Darling play for Iowa. He was a consensus All-American in 1952 and a member of the the USA 1956 Olympic Team that won the Gold Medal. Although he was drafted number 8 in the first round of the NBA, he was a geology major and elected to play for the Phillips Oilers AAU team where he was a three time AAU All American. He had a terrific hook shot with either hand and was a great rebounder.

Was his dad Briscoe?

I like how when players develop that credit is given to them (or their dad in this case), but when they don’t its the staffs fault.

The real answer is a combination of all of the above in every case. Sometimes hard to determine the weighting, however.

Reactions: owenhawk
Like most of what I've seen so far this year. He's become a more complete inside player. Let's wait this thing out until he starts getting banged around in the BIG for a while to anoint him as the savior.

Reactions: owenhawk
QUOTE="DanHawkPella, post: 7157798, member: 314"]I like how when players develop that credit is given to them (or their dad in this case), but when they don’t its the staffs fault.

The real answer is a combination of all of the above in every case. Sometimes hard to determine the weighting, however.[/QUOTE]

That’s exactly right. So many times people in here whine about Fran not developing this guy or that guy but he and his staff nicer get any credit for contributing to the growth of Garza or White or Marble or Uthoff or Jok or Baer - all players that got a lot better during their time at Iowa.

Like most of what I've seen so far this year. He's become a more complete inside player. Let's wait this thing out until he starts getting banged around in the BIG for a while to anoint him as the savior.

Ummmmm..........he's already played in the Big10 for two full seasons.
And quite well, actually. He has the best Inside/Outside complete game in Iowa BB history. Acie Earl was great, a better shot blocker, but Luka is much better offensively. Maybe the best in the Big10.
That being said..........he needs some help. Ryan Kreiner needs to bring it, like last year........and Cordell needs to lead too.
Go Hawk !!!

I also think he's the best, going back to my time at Iowa in the late 60's. Lohaus and Earl were two of my favorites, but I think Garza beats them all.

Brad Lohaus had few post moves, but was a very good 3 point shooting 7 foot BB player.

Luka just became only the 2nd player in IOWA Basketball history to score 44 points in a game. Johnny Johnson was the other. To drop 44 on Michigan was a thing of beauty.

He dropped 44 on the maize and blue. Last time I checked MU is a Big Ten power, number 4 in the land, with a big Opie Taylor looking dude who is a banger. Garza is the real deal. Terrific footwork inside. Reincarnation of Kevin McHale.

Last edited:
The Kevin McHale comparison is OK, however I do NOT remember McHale having much range on perimeter. Luka has a great 3 point shot in his repertoire. Go Hawks !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT