ADVERTISEMENT

The margin of error for this version of the Hawks was slim, and then Matt VandeBerg...

soybean

HR King
Sep 30, 2001
...was injuried and C.J. Beathard lost his #1 option. So far no other Iowa receiver has truly stepped forward to fill VandeBergs shoes and Iowa, already a marginal team, was in some big trouble.

Is Iowa a good team? Yes, goodish, but not good enough as it is currenntly configured. Couple that with the increasingly feeble offensive game plans by Greg Davis and the disappointment grows. If I were Kirk Ferentz I would fire Davis tonight and hand the reins to Brian to see what he can do the remainder of the season before making a permenant choice. That is what leaders do.

Allow me to be a pollyanna for a moment. If the Hawks were to win out down the stretch I believe they would be playing in Indy December 3rd. But, I have no illusion that such a scenario is likely with things as they are today.

It was a big hit to lose Vandy. And that is a reflection on how far behind we are in the conference at wide receivers, no offense to Vandy. He is very good at what he does.

It's probably also killing us that Kittle has been a subpar TE in comparison to what we usually field. His untimely penalties and drops have cost us this year. And I don't hate him, either. He's just a step below.

Reactions: 24 so far
I wonder why Davis started running QB sneaks on 3rd and 1 when he came to Iowa?

Most college coaches view that as an opportunity for a big play where the defense has to defend everything.

Oh, that's right. That's been the trademark of every Ferentz team. We could replace the. Eat give OC's and you're still going to see the same problems emerge with this team.

...was injuried and C.J. Beathard lost his #1 option. So far no other Iowa receiver has truly stepped forward to fill VandeBergs shoes and Iowa, already a marginal team, was in some big trouble.

Is Iowa a good team? Yes, goodish, but not good enough as it is currenntly configured. Couple that with the increasingly feeble offensive game plans by Greg Davis and the disappointment grows. If I were Kirk Ferentz I would fire Davis tonight and hand the reins to Brian to see what he can do the remainder of the season before making a permenant choice. That is what leaders do.

Allow me to be a pollyanna for a moment. If the Hawks were to win out down the stretch I believe they would be playing in Indy December 3rd. But, I have no illusion that such a scenario is likely with things as they are today.

What makes you think BF would do any better? It's not like his Oline is spectacular, it's slightly below average in my opinion.

I wonder why Davis started running QB sneaks on 3rd and 1 when he came to Iowa?

Most college coaches view that as an opportunity for a big play where the defense has to defend everything.

Oh, that's right. That's been the trademark of every Ferentz team. We could replace the. Eat give OC's and you're still going to see the same problems emerge with this team.
My gawd I think you got 3rd and 1 mixup with 2nd and 1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT