ADVERTISEMENT

The Midget ref at the end of the game

Nick Ma

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2011
After the Williams charge the camera panned to the short ref who was repeatedly yelling towards Fran, "Don't do it, don't do it", probably urging Fran not to force the ref to call a T. So let me get this straight: The ref straight blew a call that absolutely impacted the game and now he's telling Fran don't go ballistic on him? Great officiating.

I know it never gets called, but the last play of regulation Jok's guy just grabbed him and hung on for dear life. All 3 refs got caught ball watching on multiple plays. The double dribble call on Baer was called by the lead ref who is not even supposed to be looking at the ball on that play.

Same thing happened with the OT. Refs all ball watching and miss a streaking Iowa player throwing his hands up calling timeout. At the end of regulation Baer was literally in the center ref's face signaling timeout, but ref was watching the ball.

Bottom line, though, can't control refs. Baer had a chance to push lead to 3 with 40 seconds left and shanked the free throw. Too many weak bounce passes and bizarre turnovers that lead to completely uncontested layups.

Biggest problem with that douche is that he HATES Fran! That's the dbag Fran went after, after the game.. absolutely shouldn't do Iowa games anymore!
I don't agree about him having some personal feelings toward Fran, but I have been very unhappy with his officiating on numerous occasions over the years.

Reactions: iarick
Still not sure why Brady did not try to drbble away from that corner
Because he was told to hold the ball and let time tick off until challenged and then call time out. Get another ten seconds to get over half court and try to stay away from being fouled longer. You are told to not throw a cross court or lob pass and not try to attempt to dribble through a double team on their end of the court in that situation. He did exactly what he was suppose to and he called time out...RIGHT IN THE OFFICIALS FACE.

I was sitting behind the bench and after a call in the 2nd OT Fran was already hot the guy stands in front of the score table to give the foul call and winks at the scores table. Kind of like"I just pissed him off some more". Hate that ref. And he hates Fran.

Anyone know that guy's name?

Here they are:

Larry Scirotto
referee-larry-scirotto-looks-on-during-a-college-basketball-game-the-picture-id502507574

Terry Wymer
terry_wymer2.jpg

Chris Beaver
referee-chris-beaver-looks-on-during-a-college-basketball-game-the-picture-id500439626

Scirotto...asst police chief in pitt pa. Seems to like izzo a lot.

Scirotto was the one looking right at Ellingson when he called timeout. Should have been able to see and hear Bohannon running at him, too. Also should have seen the foot on the line. Total screw job by a ref who probably had money on the game. He sure reffed like he did.

Biggest problem with that douche is that he HATES Fran! That's the dbag Fran went after, after the game.. absolutely shouldn't do Iowa games anymore!
I'm assuming (hoping) we've seen the last of him for a while. He'll go the way of Hollywood Higgins.

I was sitting behind the bench and after a call in the 2nd OT Fran was already hot the guy stands in front of the score table to give the foul call and winks at the scores table. Kind of like"I just pissed him off some more". Hate that ref. And he hates Fran.
If true, very unprofessional at any level or at any point in any game. Should not be given the authority to officiate anything beyond a jr high level contest. And even that is being generous.

So explain to me the referee process. Does the Big Ten grade them out per game or review per game. I mean they have to know they were horrible. After a game like that does the big ten try to not schedule this crew to Iowa again? Does the Big Ten officially release any statement on such screw jobs?

Scirotto was the one looking right at Ellingson when he called timeout. Should have been able to see and hear Bohannon running at him, too. Also should have seen the foot on the line. Total screw job by a ref who probably had money on the game. He sure reffed like he did.

Chris Beaver was the one under the basket.

just watched the replay...you are correct & as has been posted ...Beaver was totally out of position..came running in & made a dip shit call.

the other 2 refs had left the scene..JBo clearly was asking for TO before Leave It to F'n Beaver blew it out his ass.

Fran had told the team, and the refs that if we get the ball back, we were taking a timeout there.

That's what Jok told Chad L. Anyway.[/QUOTE)

this is correct..I;m not jumping on Brady,,,he knows he should have called it without the dribble towards the end line..

even with that..typical ref making a call "after" & when he was out of position....while we will never know what would have happen the last 20 secs...we had a chance to win the game with some pretty decent FT shooters on the floor.

:(

Inbound the ball to Jok, Brady, or Jordan and we would be up 4 under 20, combined those guys are shooting over 90% on the year. Have to think we would have won. Pretty disappointing, especially in a game that we needed.

Still not sure why Brady did not try to drbble away from that corner

That was my biggest issue. If he dribbles forward towards the center line he most likely gets bailed out with a foul from Minny. But the fact he retreated back into a corner allowed Minny to press him into a "supposedly" jump ball (never knew you could tie the ball up standing out of bounds).

Iowa missed so many chances to put this game out of reach and they didn't do it. This was the exact game at Nebbie, this team has to find a way to win in tight situations. They just can't finish and it sucks. This team is pretty decent, but damn they wilt under pressure.

Beaver was the one who screwed the pooch.

Scirotto was also seen yelling at Fran and the coaches to get back to their bench. If you see the exchange you can read lips and scorotto is yelling some cuse words at Fran and coaches.

I would hope Barta would notify the Big Ten and maybe ask that Scirotto and Beaver not work anymore Iowa games. Those two seem to always be at the forefront of controversy in the big ten games.

So explain to me the referee process. Does the Big Ten grade them out per game or review per game. I mean they have to know they were horrible. After a game like that does the big ten try to not schedule this crew to Iowa again? Does the Big Ten officially release any statement on such screw jobs?
Yes, there is a process where the supervisor of officials for the big ten does get input from coaches and does review the games. Not that anything usually happens.

Question on a Minny possession in the first OT. They drove to the basket with less than 10 secs on the shot clock, Baer blocked the shot, Minny got the rebound. I was watching the game in a bar, so it wasn't exactly clear to me, but the shot clock reset(and actually seem to stay at 30 for the rest of the possession) and Minny ended up getting a basket after the rebound, but I thought it should have been a shot clock violation. Can anyone else remember that or was that not how the play happened?

Question on a Minny possession in the first OT. They drove to the basket with less than 10 secs on the shot clock, Baer blocked the shot, Minny got the rebound. I was watching the game in a bar, so it wasn't exactly clear to me, but the shot clock reset(and actually seem to stay at 30 for the rest of the possession) and Minny ended up getting a basket after the rebound, but I thought it should have been a shot clock violation. Can anyone else remember that or was that not how the play happened?
I thought we got the rebound after another miss in that sequence but I had too many beers by that point after the joke at end of regulation.

Yes, there is a process where the supervisor of officials for the big ten does get input from coaches and does review the games. Not that anything usually happens.

LOL. That's like getting in trouble by a teacher in high school and the teacher reporting it to your best buddy. I've seen enough crap in this conference to understand there is zero accountability for college officials

Reactions: Ree4

Yes it definitely reset even though it was blocked and I do not remember the outcome but they got another possession out of it.

I really wish there was a way to make sure this jackass reffed no more Iowa games, but we all know that wont be the case. He will be our official plenty of more times and I am sure make his presence known.

I remember it perfectly....and was screaming about it. Baer blocked the shot with :07 left on the shot clock...ball got knocked around, gophers gained possession...couple dribbles and a couple passes...and they scored....clock should have gone off for sure...just another screw up in this game....can't believe our coaches didn't catch it.

They don't give a f***. That's why we should do something about it instead of waiting for them to say, "derp there's nothing we can do about it now derp"...............

Ellingson seemed to freeze when he got the ball. Then committed ultimate sin in that situation to retreat where he essentially created 4 defenders with the endline and sideline (per the ref there must not have been an endline). As noted, he should have dribbled to the center to use time and create space and/or passing lane. Hoping just a brain fart by Brady and not poor coaching by Fran but given Fran's prior attempts at the end of the game, I would blame Fran. Heck, he had 3 timeouts left on the play with 3.6 seconds and did not use one of them. Glad the team is working so hard to overcome his inadequacies at that point in the game.

I thought I read a few years back that a team can sort of blacklist several officials, so they don't work your games. Is this true?

I remember it perfectly....and was screaming about it. Baer blocked the shot with :07 left on the shot clock...ball got knocked around, gophers gained possession...couple dribbles and a couple passes...and they scored....clock should have gone off for sure...just another screw up in this game....can't believe our coaches didn't catch it.
Bohannon controlled the ball briefly. Enough of control to save the ball from going out of bounds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT