ADVERTISEMENT

The New GOP

sadiehawkins

HR All-American
Sep 21, 2008
Tennessee GOP attempts to pass legislation to let a 60yr man marry and rape 14 yr old girl. But this 14 yr old can't get a abortion. What the F is wrong we these so called GOP Christian pedophiles? GOP Christianity = pedophiles. Yes, after lots of backlash they put an age limit in bill. Didn't i hear in judge Jackson's hearings all day and nite about pedophiles getting a break from jackson? but where is our [i just got laid in the back of a pickup truck look] Marsha Blackburn's outrage?

Tennessee GOP attempts to pass legislation to let a 60yr man marry and rape 14 yr old girl. But this 14 yr old can't get a abortion. What the F is wrong we these so called GOP Christian pedophiles? GOP Christianity = pedophiles. Yes, after lots of backlash they put an age limit in bill. Didn't i hear in judge Jackson's hearings all day and nite about pedophiles getting a break from jackson? but where is our [i just got laid in the back of a pickup truck look] Marsha Blackburn's outrage?
I saw the bill about allowing people to go through non traditional ways of getting married, which did not have age specific language in it. But didn't see the one that allows for rape. Link?

Reactions: NCHawk5
I saw the bill about allowing people to go through non traditional ways of getting married, which did not have age specific language in it. But didn't see the one that allows for rape. Link?
Statutory rape. State laws were enacted to prohibit the situation OP described because society considered a child of that age incapable of consent. It looks like the law introduced in TN would have enacted a way around that. I think (hope) most Americans still consider statutory rape laws necessary.

Statutory rape. State laws were enacted to prohibit the situation OP described because society considered a child of that age incapable of consent. It looks like the law introduced in TN would have enacted a way around that. I think (hope) most Americans still consider statutory rape laws necessary.
The way I read it was the proposed law did not contain age language. Yes, it needs to. I was not aware there was no minimum age in TN 5-6 years ago which means the bill REALLY needs to have that language. I was also informed what seems to be driving this is people who donr want to recognize traditional marriage certificates now that they recognize same sex marriage. To which I say, dumb people get married everyday.

Link to said legislation stating a 60 yr old man can marry and rape a 14 yr old.

The way I read it was the proposed law did not contain age language. Yes, it needs to. I was not aware there was no minimum age in TN 5-6 years ago which means the bill REALLY needs to have that language. I was also informed what seems to be driving this is people who donr want to recognize traditional marriage certificates now that they recognize same sex marriage. To which I say, dumb people get married everyday.
They amended the bill to add that age language even though there was a law on the books that stated the legal age to get married is 18 or 17 with parental consent.

They amended the bill to add that age language even though there was a law on the books that stated the legal age to get married is 18 or 17 with parental consent.

Good. That was needed. His response at the time made.me HOPE that not having specific age was an oversight but admittedly the information that they recently didn't have ages was scary.

Link to said legislation stating a 60 yr old man can marry and rape a 14 yr old.
I guess in your mind you need a link where just good old commonsense would say even if a 60 yr old and 14 yr old were married and had sex that still would not constitute rape. Most states have some laws requiring a certain age for consent.

Reactions: nelly02 and lucas80
I swear the GOP is starting to make the Taliban look good when it comes to women. Do they still have planned marriages in the Smokey Mountains?
Its already been recognized that law you are pissing your pants over needed age language and apparently that has been address.

You just in the mood to cry?

I swear the GOP is starting to make the Taliban look good when it comes to women. Do they still have planned marriages in the Smokey Mountains?
Should they be more like Canadians? Age of consent is 16...used to be 14 up until a few years ago.

Am I understanding this bill right, that it’s basic intent was to allow people who work for the govt a way to not issue traditional marriage licenses to gay couples, that they would get a separate license but supposedly means the same thing?

the age thing was a dumb oversight due to overzealous intent on the bill itself. Glad to see they rectified it, but still see this as a dumb bill.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Am I understanding this bill right, that it’s basic intent was to allow people who work for the govt a way to not issue traditional marriage licenses to gay couples, that they would get a separate license but supposedly means the same thing?

the age thing was a dumb oversight due to overzealous intent on the bill itself. Glad to see they rectified it, but still see this as a dumb bill.
I was trying to learn more about it the other night as well. What I was told is there are people in TN who disagree with gay marriage. They wanted a way to be married that was not the traditional way of getting married as a way of protesting.

Pretty dumb if you are asking me but again, dumb people get married everyday.

I was trying to learn more about it the other night as well. What I was told is there are people in TN who disagree with gay marriage. They wanted a way to be married that was not the traditional way of getting married as a way of protesting.

Pretty dumb if you are asking me but again, dumb people get married everyday.
I can wrap my head around pastors/churches who aren’t on-board with gay marriage - I disagree, but that’s the beauty of freedom of religion to me. Doing this from the civil government perspective seems like discrimination to me. A marriage license is a marriage license is a marriage license to me.

I can wrap my head around pastors/churches who aren’t on-board with gay marriage - I disagree, but that’s the beauty of freedom of religion to me. Doing this from the civil government perspective seems like discrimination to me. A marriage license is a marriage license is a marriage license to me.
It sounds like it is the people being married pursuing this more than the churches. Basically they are butthurt gay people can get the same piece of paper as them. Dumb.

Reactions: sober_teacher

I can't speak to Tennessee specifically but a lot of old laws that have not been updated basically allowed adults to have sex with minors if they married them.

It's very possible if the law allowed a 14 year old to get married that it follows that it would also allow the person who married them, of whatever age to have sex with them without criminal consequences.

I guess in your mind you need a link where just good old commonsense would say even if a 60 yr old and 14 yr old were married and had sex that still would not constitute rape. Most states have some laws requiring a certain age for consent.
You're the one making the claim that the Tenn GOP are trying to pass legislation that allows 60 yr olds to marry 14 yr olds. Show you work or your claim is total bullshit. BTW, Tennessee's age of consent law is 18 or 17 with parents consent. Feel free to look it up.

You're the one making the claim that the Tenn GOP are trying to pass legislation that allows 60 yr olds to marry 14 yr olds. Show you work or your claim is total bullshit. BTW, Tennessee's age of consent law is 18 or 17 with parents consent. Feel free to look it up.
Again, the law as originally written had no age requirement in it, thus making it possible for the aforementioned 60 yr old to marry a 14 yr old in theory. Sounds like they closed that loophole, and yeah, it wasn’t the intent of the law, but it would have been possible in the original version of the bill.

That’s what I was going to ask. What is the exact purpose of the bill? Is it just about being in opposition to gay marriage?

That’s what I was going to ask. What is the exact purpose of the bill? Is it just about being in opposition to gay marriage?
I’m a little confused myself. Are they proposing a bill that would allow those that oppose gay marriage to get a different marriage license from the state? Not sure how that works.

I’m a little confused myself. Are they proposing a bill that would allow those that oppose gay marriage to get a different marriage license from the state? Not sure how that works.
If Whiskey is explaining right, it sounds like it’s supposed to be an out for people who don’t want the same kind for marriage license as gay couples. Do I have that right @Whiskeydeltadeltatango ?

Yep. And I don’t think a lot of liberals understand how self-defeating the histrionics and wild accusations are. This bill in and of itself sounds pretty stupid, and probably would have been viewed as such by the average American. However, if libs want to throw out the wild claims of it being a backdoor for pedophiles, then they are the ones who end up looking crazy in the end. I mean, think about it. As much as libs like to spotlight the insanity of MTG, they sure seem hellbent on following her playbook. I don’t get it.

Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66
There’s no license. Common law marriage, which is what the statute is creating, occurs when you live together, have an agreement to be married and hold yourself out to be married. That’s all you need to do. It’s a common statute in wester states when settlers lived far away from the county seat so it was difficult to obtain a license

Reactions: globalhawk
The new GOP sucks but let's don't pretend that the "old GOP" was much better. It wasn't.

They wanna get back to them "Biblical Days", where 14 yr old concubines are the "norm" for the old men (once the wives cannot bear a child).

And it's hard for that 30+ year old wife to bear children when hubby is bangin' 14-yr-olds in the background....

• Haha
Reactions: Hondo_11
Again, the law as originally written had no age requirement in it, thus making it possible for the aforementioned 60 yr old to marry a 14 yr old in theory. Sounds like they closed that loophole, and yeah, it wasn’t the intent of the law, but it would have been possible in the original version of the bill.
I understand that; but there is nothing in the bill that overrides the standing age regulations already on the books. It didn't all the sudden make the 18 yr old age threshold obsolete. It's a moot point at this juncture since the age regulations have been amended into the bill.

ADVERTISEMENT