ADVERTISEMENT

The new Kirk

bumper52

HR All-State
Nov 25, 2019
Please help me out here. Remember the year everyone was calling Coach, “The New Kirk”? We were doing all kinds of stuff (mainly on offense). Like fake punts on our side of the field, throwing long passes, etc. I can’t remember the year, but I think it was the year we lost to Sparty in the championship. By the way, there really was any “New Kirk” in that game. I think we threw 2 passes over 30 yards and one went for a touchdown. I guess my point is this: I understand we are limited with the personnel with have on offense, but what would it hurt to at least try and open things up. I also understand the futility of that going into our final five games. But whatever happened to that New Kirk. For once in his life he went out of character and was successful. It’s really puzzling.

Please help me out here. Remember the year everyone was calling Coach, “The New Kirk”? We were doing all kinds of stuff (mainly on offense). Like fake punts on our side of the field, throwing long passes, etc. I can’t remember the year, but I think it was the year we lost to Sparty in the championship. By the way, there really was any “New Kirk” in that game. I think we threw 2 passes over 30 yards and one went for a touchdown. I guess my point is this: I understand we are limited with the personnel with have on offense, but what would it hurt to at least try and open things up. I also understand the futility of that going into our final five games. But whatever happened to that New Kirk. For once in his life he went out of character and was successful. It’s really puzzling.
He did that for several games very successfully and then if I remember correctly around game 6 or 7 you could actually see the shift back.

Yup, Kirk 2.0. ….it came and left pretty quickly…

Anyone catch the TCU game? Their coach is the polar opposite of KF!

Reactions: littlez and frydaze
This year I don't think it would matter if we had Kirk 2.0 or Kirk 12.0, the horses aren't there on offense to do it. The way the OL is playing right now, if we throw the ball 30 yards down field there won't be a receiver within 15 yards of it because the QB has to throw it within 2 seconds.

This year I don't think it would matter if we had Kirk 2.0 or Kirk 12.0, the horses aren't there on offense to do it. The way the OL is playing right now, if we throw the ball 30 yards down field there won't be a receiver within 15 yards of it because the QB has to throw it within 2 seconds.
This. It doesn’t matter what version of Kirk we’re on. The o-line is subpar. Can’t block, can’t do much.

LOL I remember this! What happened, new kirk went away quick!

What about the hurry up against Pittsburgh, 100% successful. Never saw it again except for a few plays. It's like he sees something that works and immediately shifts back to what doesn't.
Geez, I remember that. Hawks way down, went tempo and everything clicked. Vandenburg's best game. The Hawks were in rhythm and Pitt was helpless.

Reactions: hawkhockey
IMO there never was a new Kirk. He is incapable of changing his approach to the game.

The “new Kirk” thing was a total con. It allowed fans to support the guy without admitting they were wrong to give up on him.

There seemed to be some random opportunities to be aggressive, but he always did stuff like going for 4th down around the goal line. Confirmation bias at its best.

What about the hurry up against Pittsburgh, 100% successful. Never saw it again except for a few plays. It's like he sees something that works and immediately shifts back to what doesn't.
Whatever you do don’t get rid of Kirk. That’s the Iowa way!!!

It wasn’t a drastic change in Iowa’s scheme that brought about the “New Kirk” title. It was winning. Nothing changed much at all except for an upturn in games won. In 2015, suddenly Iowa was winning every game following two disappointing seasons. The fans were excited, there was a buzz in the air and Kirk is suddenly different somehow, for the better. It was bullshit. It was the same system in the same style. Players were simply executing at a high level.

Iowa needs to go 2-minute drill for the entire game. the only time they come remotely close to moving the ball is when they are in "hurry up" mode.
Sometimes a slow plodding offense is your best defense. Kirk has always burned up the clock and that really helps the defense, combined with playing the deep zone. Hawks in shoot outs would not be good.

I really think it comes down to one simple thing - running the ball.

Every rejuvenation of Kirk over the years has come with big improvements running the ball (2004 being an exception, but that wasn’t a rejuvenation either, that was making lemonade out of lemons after all the RB injuries).

After 2005-2007? Shonn Greene in 2008 and then a run through Adam Robinson/Brandon Wehger/Marcus Coker. After some 2011-2014 struggles (Weisman was a bright spot), started seeing more Leshun Daniels, Jordan Canzeri and Akrum Wadley. The bump in 2019 had a young Tyler Goodson. The offense is going much better now that they’re actually getting Kaleb Johnson some holes.

Kirk’s offense has always been built around the running game and while he never aims to have an elite offense, when the O is good or looks innovative or multiple, it’s because the run is a threat.

It wasn’t a drastic change in Iowa’s scheme that brought about the “New Kirk” title. It was winning. Nothing changed much at all except for an upturn in games won. In 2015, suddenly Iowa was winning every game following two disappointing seasons. The fans were excited, there was a buzz in the air and Kirk is suddenly different somehow, for the better. It was bullshit. It was the same system in the same style. Players were simply executing at a high level.
I would add that it did coincide with him playing more young players early in their careers, something that was both necessary and has continued.

Sounding like a broken record, it all starts with the offensive line. If the offensive line can control the line of scrimmage it allows the offense to do a lot of those fancy things and opens up the playbook. But if your o line is not very good, then all those cool things like flea flickers and half-back passes don't work at all and then when they don't work, everyone that is crying for some trickery then starts complaining and asking why they did that.

Honestly at this point we need Kirk 1.0 and for him to go down there and fix that offensive line.

Add in the need to run more to the edges instead of between the tackles where Iowa struggles. I don’t know why they aren’t attacking the edges more in the run game which creates more cut back opportunities compared to a run up the middle. And with Kaleb’s vision, which is much better than both Gavin and Leshon, he sees the field the others don’t.

Iowa needs to go 2-minute drill for the entire game. the only time they come remotely close to moving the ball is when they are in "hurry up" mode.
I never understand why we don't do this hurry up more. Teams never expect it and panic and the QB has great confidence for quick releases.

Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66
I never understand why we don't do this hurry up more. Teams never expect it and panic and the QB has great confidence for quick releases.
I think to be “hurry up”, Iowa needs to either be desperation mode or feel like they have the ability to move the sticks that way. If you’re not confident you can run your core stuff, all the hurry-up does is make the punts come even faster.

I think to be “hurry up”, Iowa needs to either be desperation mode or feel like they have the ability to move the sticks that way. If you’re not confident you can run your core stuff, all the hurry-up does is make the punts come even faster.
Yes but if defense is our strength then lean on them. Offense had no life until NW. Guarantee Big Brett would have panicked seeing Kirk being aggressive.

Yes but if defense is our strength then lean on them. Offense had no life until NW. Guarantee Big Brett would have panicked seeing Kirk being aggressive.
I’m with you to a point…but if you’re not going to get anything done on offense, staying up-tempo basically does the equivalent of taking away at least one possession from the offense and makes the D cover that much more.

Fair point though - you can come out tempo and see how the other side reacts. It doesn’t mean you’re locked into it for the full 60.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT