ADVERTISEMENT

The New WBB Recruiting Thread

UpstreamHawkeye

HR All-American
Mar 29, 2010
Possibly the most informative thread on this board, is no more?

Edit: I felt it appropriate to rename the thread now that things got going again!
This post was edited on 3/16 12:25 PM by UpstreamHawkeye

This post was edited on 3/16 12:31 PM by UpstreamHawkeye

Reactions: cyberhawk
Re: Where's the WBB Recruiting Thread?

image.png

Well that's disappointing. If the administrator took it off, it should have at least been moved to the Legendary Threads. There were more than 500 posts which is ninth most in the history of this forum. Also, there were nearly 50,000 views which doesn't include all the views that were not counted when the server temporarily stop counting them a couple of times. That would possibly put this thread in the top ten all-time by views. On the other hand, there were several posts that were totally unrelated to WBB recruiting and other that were only very remotely related. Also, with the HS seasons winding down and the classes filled through 2016, there was soon bound to be a lull in this topic for a while anyway.

Thanks to Oakhawk especially, but also to all the posters that contributed comments, information, and links. Hopefully we have raised the awareness among the viewing members of the thread to all the new players that will be playing for Iowa in the next couple years and maybe even stimulated enough interest to increase attendance at CHA. This program deserves at least 6,000+ at every game.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes

Originally posted by cyberhawk:
Well that's disappointing. If the administrator took it off, it should have at least been moved to the Legendary Threads. There were more than 500 posts which is ninth most in the history of this forum. Also, there were nearly 50,000 views which doesn't include all the views that were not counted when the server temporarily stop counting them a couple of times. That would possibly put this thread in the top ten all-time by views. On the other hand, there were several posts that were totally unrelated to WBB recruiting and other that were only very remotely related. Also, with the HS seasons winding down and the classes filled through 2016, there was soon bound to be a lull in this topic for a while anyway.

Thanks to Oakhawk especially, but also to all the posters that contributed comments, information, and links. Hopefully we have raised the awareness among the viewing members of the thread to all the new players that will be playing for Iowa in the next couple years and maybe even stimulated enough interest to increase attendance at CHA. This program deserves at least 6,000+ at every game.
Please, you and Oak start a new WBB Recruiting thread and we will go from there. I believe there was a troll on here, and I also believe he is now gone. Thanks for all of you for your input. There's a lot of women's interest now.

I don't think I ever posted in that thread. I've never been one of the popular kids.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Iowa has signed Tania Davis a 5'4" pg from Michigan. 5 star. Megan Gustafson a 6'3" pf from Wisc. 4 star. Hannah Stewart a 6'2" f from N. Dakota. 4 star. And Tagyn Larson a 6'2" wing from S.D. 3 star.
smile.r191677.gif

How are Tania Davis and the Martians doing in the Michigan state tourney?

Originally posted by Guidotheguide:
Iowa has signed Tania Davis a 5'4" pg from Michigan. 5 star. Megan Gustafson a 6'3" pf from Wisc. 4 star. Hannah Stewart a 6'2" f from N. Dakota. 4 star. And Tagyn Larson a 6'2" wing from S.D. 3 star.
smile.r191677.gif
wow, that's impressive. If we can do it in WBB, we can do it in MBB, FB too. WBB should have more fun teams coming int he future.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes

In a battle of the state's top-ranked programs, No. 2 Goodrich handed No. 1 Midland Bullock Creek its first loss of the season.

The Martians collected their fifth Class B regional championship trophy in six seasons on Thursday night at Caro High School, with a 50-48 victory.

Viewed by many as one of the most highly anticipated playoff matches, Miss Basketball finalist Tania Davis showed everyone why she's considered as a top player of her class with 23 points.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Seems like they play again March 17

Let me try again... I copied this link for the original WBB Recruiting thread...
https://iowa.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?SID=940&fid=803&style=2&tid=173349321&Page=1

Role players help Goodrich girls squeak past No. 1 Midland Bullock Creek

With the win, Goodrich (24-1) has advanced to the Class B quarterfinal against Manistee (23-1) at Mount Pleasant High School on Tuesday, March 17 at 7 p.m.

MLive

I watched Megan Gustafson's game Thursday. She has good hands, and good footwork. All her shots came 8 ft.
from the basket. Shot about 50% free throws, ended up with 30 pts. Defense is not good, and hard to tell on rebounding,
since she has a height advantage. Not ready for big ten basketball yet, But when she starts playing with and against
better talent her own size I think she will improve nicely.

Adding back the 2016 verbals....
Amanda Ollinger 6-1 F Linn-Mar ESPN #30
Makenzie Meyer 5-10 G Mason City 1st Team All-State
Alexis Sevillian 5-7 G Goodrich MI
Bre Cera 5-11 G Mukwonago WI Ranked by some as top Jr WI

Blue Star Recruiting had Bre Cera #47, Alexis Sevillian # 59, and Makenzie Meyer #79 in their 2016 Top 100.

sorry oak.

Is Lisa done for 2015?

One of the top young guards in Minnesota, 2018, Kelsey Peschel, led her 29-1 Sauk Centre team to State on Friday.
She leads her team at 12 ppg. And yes, she is Kali's younger sister.

This post was edited on 3/14 11:55 PM by oakhawk

Kelsey with her medal

Does she have an Iowa offer? I think the Peschel sisters are special.

Sauk Centre Girls go to State
This post was edited on 3/16 7:44 AM by cyberhawk

Video clip

The coaches know about her, I'm sure.
smile.r191677.gif

As far as 2015 goes....barring some unforeseen change, I would guess they are done.

Hannah Stewart was named Miss Basketball for North Dakota.

[Michigan] Miss Basketball winner to be announced Monday and live streamed on MLive

MLive

Are there other prospects for 2016? Thought I'd read sometime ago that Lisa was looking to add a center to the 2016 class.

Currently there are already 15 commited scholarship players for the fall of 2016. Of course things could change.

Here is an article about Robbi Ryan who is a 2016 guard from Sheridan WY and has Iowa on her short list and plans to begin campus visits next month. In it she is compared to 2014 PAC12 FOY Kelsey Plum and also another player by the name of Samantha Logic. (However, as I said, Iowa would not be able to give her a scholarship unless they lose someone before the fall signing period.)

This post was edited on 3/16 11:44 AM by cyberhawk

Sheridan's Ryan Making a Name for Herself

If you people don't mind, I have renamed the thread to reflect our continued enthusiasm on Iowa women's basketball. Keep it going!

Goodrich point guard Tania Davis named Miss Basketball

This post was edited on 3/16 1:12 PM by cyberhawk

MLive

Is it pretty certain that Gustafson will win Miss Basketball in Wisconsin? That' ll give Iowa three this year. Last year Iowa had two Gatorade POY's, Coley and Jennings.

Whitney Jennings was also Miss Basketball. As were Ally Disterhoft and Samantha Logic.

Is Miss Basketball considered more prestigious than Gatorade State Player of the Year? I know Coley was POY but not Miss Basketball.

Originally posted by cyberhawk:
Currently there are already 15 commited scholarship players for the fall of 2016. Of course things could change.

Here is an article about Robbi Ryan who is a 2016 guard from Sheridan WY and has Iowa on her short list and plans to begin campus visits next month. In it she is compared to 2014 PAC12 FOY Kelsey Plum and also another player by the name of Samantha Logic. (However, as I said, Iowa would not be able to give her a scholarship unless they lose someone before the fall signing period.)

This post was edited on 3/16 11:44 AM by cyberhawk
As of now, there are 14 women on who have signed or committed: Next year, Pesch & Till complete their eligibility, which leaves two current sophomores, Disterhoft & Kastanek, and the four 3014-15 freshmen--Coley, Moens, Buttenham, & Jennings. Add the four women who signed LOIs last November--C/PF Gustafson (WI), PF Larson (SD), SF Stewart (ND) & PG Tania Davis (MI)--and you have ten returning. There are at present FOUR commitments from HS juniors---PG Sevillian (MI), Wings Cera (WI) & Meyer (IA), and F Ollnger (IA). T'here is a distinct possibility that all four HS seniors will be the POY/Miss Basketball of their states. All but Larson (who missed much of her HS career due to injury) have been named among the top 100 players in their class That very likely could be 8 of 9 if Bluder gets a commitment from PG Robbi Ryan (Cheyenne, WY), or C/PF Jennie Boehm (New Trier, Winnetka, IL), or either of the two inside players from Twin Cities suburbs, all four of the possibilities being top 100 prospects nationally as HS juniors.

There is some confusion about the number of schollies already determined, because Bluder has used one of the several open scholarships last year & this year to reward walk-on sophomore PF Schnaden. Unless, as as unexpected development, Bluder finds a ideal transfer to come in & provide more strength & depth as an experienced post or power forward for the coming season, Bluder is likely to extend the schollie to Snaden for another year. What she is NOT likely to do is give Schnaden a full ride for a 4th year; that might happen if she is unable to get a commitment from one of the four mentioned above or some other top prospect who emerges as an outstanding candidate over the summer.

Personally, I hope the 5th commitment is from Robbi Ryan, who is constantly being compared to Sam Logic for her toughness, her endless energy & determination, aggressive play, strong rebounding, defensive ardor, etc. Plus another impressive quality beyond Sam's package, which is that she defines the cliche "jumps out of the barn". While I doubt she will prove to be 75% of Logic's game, that would still be as much as any PG at Iowa other than Sam since Michelle Edwards
(this from someone who still loves Crystal Smith as an alltime Hawkeye favorite)..

This 5th schollie is a crucial consideration: Bluder will only have two open the next year (Disterhoft & Kastenak leaving), and that year & the next two are deep in talent in the Hawkeye recruiting area, especially in Iowa where there may be the most talent ever---figure two girls from the Eastern Iowa AAU team, freshman Ashley Joens of Iowa City High and the sixfoot plus 8th grade ballnhandling wizard from Moline, are the top priorities of the players targeted by Bluder.

This is the paradox resulting from a rising program: the irony of becoming a top ten or so program nationally is that she will now have to recruit against Notre Dame, Tennessee, Duke, Stanford, more against Maryland & Rutgers & Penn State. It will no longer be a matter of getting girls from Minnesota away the Gophers, or Iowans from Moo U, or the best players out of Wisconsin, or holding our own with Mich State, Ohio State & Purdue for the 2nd tier in the Midwest. It is going to require making Iowa City the destination for many of those Midwesterners who have chosen Tennessee, Notre Dame, Stanford, etc in the past. No future Tiah Stokes is going to turn down a quality school in a high quality of life locale for a mediocre school in a vcity-dump a thousand miles away for only one compelling reason---the national stage in women's hoops.But Bluder's bigger challenge in the years ahead my be to sell U of Iowa academics in competion with Stanford, Duke, Notre Dame.

There are so many, many things in college athletics easier than winning the right way

Williams has it all - quickness, good shooting range, great handle and can really pass. Would be surprised if she doesn't see the floor alot next year.

You win a few BIG titles and 8 consecutive NCAA invites and recruiting gets better.

Happy for Bluder and staff, they do a nice job. Hopeful fran can get the men to this level.

Arike Ogunbowale was named Miss Basketball for Wisconsin.
Bre Cera was named 1st team All-State in Division 1 (large schools)
Megan Gustafson was named 1st Team All-State in Division 5.

ADVERTISEMENT