ADVERTISEMENT

The New WBB Recruiting Thread

Originally posted by GunnerHawk:

Williams has it all - quickness, good shooting range, great handle and can really pass. Would be surprised if she doesn't see the floor alot next year.

You win a few BIG titles and 8 consecutive NCAA invites and recruiting gets better.

Happy for Bluder and staff, they do a nice job. Hopeful fran can get the men to this level.
Huh?

Originally posted by oakhawk:
Arike Ogunbowale was named Miss Basketball for Wisconsin.
I guess that setting new single game and season scoring records and rewriting the all-time career scoring record is not good enough to be PoY in Wisconsin. So it seems the award is based on a theoretical ranking.

Originally posted by BGHAWK:

Originally posted by GunnerHawk:

Williams has it all - quickness, good shooting range, great handle and can really pass. Would be surprised if she doesn't see the floor alot next year.

You win a few BIG titles and 8 consecutive NCAA invites and recruiting gets better.

Happy for Bluder and staff, they do a nice job. Hopeful fran can get the men to this level.
Huh?
Davis?

Re: Where's the WBB Recruiting Thread?

Originally posted by Tiggerhawk:
Originally posted by cyberhawk:
Currently there are already 15 commited scholarship players for the fall of 2016. Of course things could change.

Here is an article about Robbi Ryan who is a 2016 guard from Sheridan WY and has Iowa on her short list and plans to begin campus visits next month. In it she is compared to 2014 PAC12 FOY Kelsey Plum and also another player by the name of Samantha Logic. (However, as I said, Iowa would not be able to give her a scholarship unless they lose someone before the fall signing period.)

This post was edited on 3/16 11:44 AM by cyberhawk
As of now, there are 14 women on who have signed or committed: Next year, Pesch & Till complete their eligibility, which leaves two current sophomores, Disterhoft & Kastanek, and the four 3014-15 freshmen--Coley, Moens, Buttenham, & Jennings. Add the four women who signed LOIs last November--C/PF Gustafson (WI), PF Larson (SD), SF Stewart (ND) & PG Tania Davis (MI)--and you have ten returning. There are at present FOUR commitments from HS juniors---PG Sevillian (MI), Wings Cera (WI) & Meyer (IA), and F Ollnger (IA). T'here is a distinct possibility that all four HS seniors will be the POY/Miss Basketball of their states. All but Larson (who missed much of her HS career due to injury) have been named among the top 100 players in their class That very likely could be 8 of 9 if Bluder gets a commitment from PG Robbi Ryan (Cheyenne, WY), or C/PF Jennie Boehm (New Trier, Winnetka, IL), or either of the two inside players from Twin Cities suburbs, all four of the possibilities being top 100 prospects nationally as HS juniors.

There is some confusion about the number of schollies already determined, because Bluder has used one of the several open scholarships last year & this year to reward walk-on sophomore PF Schnaden. Unless, as as unexpected development, Bluder finds a ideal transfer to come in & provide more strength & depth as an experienced post or power forward for the coming season, Bluder is likely to extend the schollie to Snaden for another year. What she is NOT likely to do is give Schnaden a full ride for a 4th year; that might happen if she is unable to get a commitment from one of the four mentioned above or some other top prospect who emerges as an outstanding candidate over the summer.

Personally, I hope the 5th commitment is from Robbi Ryan, who is constantly being compared to Sam Logic for her toughness, her endless energy & determination, aggressive play, strong rebounding, defensive ardor, etc. Plus another impressive quality beyond Sam's package, which is that she defines the cliche "jumps out of the barn". While I doubt she will prove to be 75% of Logic's game, that would still be as much as any PG at Iowa other than Sam since Michelle Edwards
(this from someone who still loves Crystal Smith as an alltime Hawkeye favorite)..

This 5th schollie is a crucial consideration: Bluder will only have two open the next year (Disterhoft & Kastenak leaving), and that year & the next two are deep in talent in the Hawkeye recruiting area, especially in Iowa where there may be the most talent ever---figure two girls from the Eastern Iowa AAU team, freshman Ashley Joens of Iowa City High and the sixfoot plus 8th grade ballnhandling wizard from Moline, are the top priorities of the players targeted by Bluder.

This is the paradox resulting from a rising program: the irony of becoming a top ten or so program nationally is that she will now have to recruit against Notre Dame, Tennessee, Duke, Stanford, more against Maryland & Rutgers & Penn State. It will no longer be a matter of getting girls from Minnesota away the Gophers, or Iowans from Moo U, or the best players out of Wisconsin, or holding our own with Mich State, Ohio State & Purdue for the 2nd tier in the Midwest. It is going to require making Iowa City the destination for many of those Midwesterners who have chosen Tennessee, Notre Dame, Stanford, etc in the past. No future Tiah Stokes is going to turn down a quality school in a high quality of life locale for a mediocre school in a vcity-dump a thousand miles away for only one compelling reason---the national stage in women's hoops.But Bluder's bigger challenge in the years ahead my be to sell U of Iowa academics in competion with Stanford, Duke, Notre Dame.

There are so many, many things in college athletics easier than winning the right way
Nicole Smith will also complete her eligibility

Great thread! Thanks to all who've posted. Wow, the cupboard is getting restocked! Hoping the ladies can take care of business at home and get a chance at Baylor in the Sweet 16.

Did Iowa show any interest in Burkhall of DMRoosevelt? She is an ISU signee. Seems to be highly rated, although Roos. did not do well.

Robbi Ryan named Wyoming girls basketball Gatorade Player of the Year

DSC_8353c_web-492x450.jpg

Ryan, a junior, is third in 4A in scoring with 15.6 points a game and fifth in rebounding with 6.5. She is also in the top five in assists (4.0) and steals (3.2). She shoots 47 percent from the field and 79 percent from the free-throw line. Outside of basketball, Ryan has maintained a 3.91 GPA in the classroom and is a member of the National Honor Society. She is a talented pianist, guitarist and ukulele player and has volunteered locally on behalf of the Special Olympics, the YMCA and an area homeless shelter.

Robbi is in the class of 2016 and has said that she will make an official campus visit to Iowa (as well as her other four favorites) sometime after the beginning of April.

This post was edited on 3/17 5:34 PM by cyberhawk

See also Wyopreps

I guess that setting new single game and season scoring records and rewriting the all-time career scoring record is not good enough to be PoY in Wisconsin. So it seems the award is based on a theoretical ranking.
You most likely are not being sufficiently cynical enough. Put it this way: if Ogunbowale has committed to Wisconsin or Minnesota or Iowa---or any other BT school not in Maryland--rather than one ofESPN's favorite perennial Final Four teams, Notre Dame, Gustafson would have been Miss Basketball/POY.

Reactions: Gink
Tigger,
I have to say for me Crystal Smith is what got me started on Iowa's women's team. She was the jam in the jelly roll those years.

Ogunbowale also won Gatorade Player. I was hoping they would split the award. Hannah Stewart won both but Tania didn't.
Ogunbowale, besides going tp ND, also was a McDonakds AA, played in the large school division, and was on the USA team. She had the media to override the states best scorer in history.

I guess that setting new single game and season scoring records and rewriting the all-time career scoring record is not good enough to be PoY in Wisconsin.  So it seems the award is based on a theoretical ranking. 😕
What level school did Oginbowale play for?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Tiggerhawk:

You most likely are not being sufficiently cynical enough. Put it this way: if Ogunbowale has committed to Wisconsin or Minnesota or Iowa---or any other BT school not in Maryland--rather than one ofESPN's favorite perennial Final Four teams, Notre Dame, Gustafson would have been Miss Basketball/POY.
Tigger, you are most certainly correct about the lack of cynicism. In fact I was trying not to be cynical at all, as that would require bitterness on my part. However, I am glad that my attempt at obvious sarcasm was not lost on you. Also, I appreciate your additional sarcastic perspective. I wonder now what would have happened if Megan had signed with Notre Dame?

Originally posted by vincebrookins:

She is a talented pianist, guitarist and ukulele player .

Lisa HAS to get this girl.
cool.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/18 3:22 PM by cyberhawk

Ogunbowale also won Gatorade Player. I was hoping they would split the award. Hannah Stewart won both but Tania didn't.
Ogunbowale, besides going tp ND, also was a McDonakds AA, played in the large school division, and was on the USA team. She had the media to override the states best scorer in history.
What does a player have to do to get recognized in the state of Wisconsin? I thought that scoring was the most important statistic. It's an enigma.

What does a player have to do to get recognized in the state of Wisconsin? I thought that scoring was the most important statistic. It's an enigma.
This is the third year in a row for Ogunbowale winning Gatorade POY for WI!

I guess she's pretty good or something...

The 5-foot-9 senior wing has led the Dashers to a 24-2 record and a berth in the Division 1 state semifinals, scheduled for March 13. The state's two-time returning Gatorade Girls Basketball Player of the Year, Ogunbowale averaged 26.2 points, 9.1 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 2.5 steals through 26 games. A McDonald's All-American Game, Jordan Brand Classic and WBCA High School All-America Team selection, Ogunbowale shot 47.9 percent from the field, 30.7 percent from 3-point range and 73.5 percent from the free-throw line. She has won four gold medals for USA Basketball as a member of the Women's U16 National Team, U17 World Championship Team and 3x3 U18 World Championship Team.

Tania Davis had 20 points and 7 assists, Alexis Sevillian added 16 points and 5 rebounds, and Goodrich won their quarter-final game 57-40. Next up the semi-final versus Detroit Country Day on Friday night.

Win

http://www.prospectsnation.com/story/recap-chicago-nike-nit-underclass. Sorry you will just have to copy and google. Good write up on two 2016 girls.

This post was edited on 3/18 9:06 AM by tdahawk

In the Goodrich game on Friday against Detroit Country Day, They will be facing a recruit Iowa has looked at. Destiny Pitts , a 5-10 G. Should add she is a 2017.

This post was edited on 3/18 10:04 AM by oakhawk

I listened online to some of Sauk Centre and Kelsey Peschel's state quarter-final game. It was a five point game at half but Sauk Centre broke it open in the second half and won 67-45. They like to push the ball on offense and pressure on defense. Kelsey led the scoring with 17 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists. They play their semi-final game Friday at 6 Today was win number 30 for them. They are 30-1.

This post was edited on 3/18 6:57 PM by oakhawk

This post was edited on 3/19 10:22 AM by oakhawk

Alexis Seviilian had 16 and Tania Davis had 12 but they lost in the state semi-finals. Tania knocked knees with friend and Iowa target Destiny Pitts and had to leave the game. Hopefully just bruised. Destiny, a 5-10 2017 G , had 28 points and 10 rebounds.
Kelsey Peschel and Sauk Centre won their semi-final and will play for the championship at 2 pm Saturday.

The ending

Oak-is Sellers from CR Kennedy being looked at by Bluder? Espn has her as a 4* for 2016 I see.

As talented as she is, we currently have other priorities if a scholly opens up for 2016. Those priorities being the girl from Wyoming or another post player.

Tania Davis was named class B Player of the Year for the second straight season.

POY

I'm hoping all of the 2015 recruits will be in Iowa city for GTL. Looking forward to seeing them in person. Also looking forward to summer AAU reports.

Originally posted by UpstreamHawkeye:
Is there a chance that Mackenzie Meyer and Amanda Olinger will participate in GTL as well?
I think the NCAA has mileage limits, at least for the men--100 miles?, that would eliminate Meyer.

Ogunbowale plays up here in Milwaukee Division 1, large schools same as Bre Cera. Arike definitely deserved the POY selection. Believe me. On a totally different level than most players.

Nice little post move by Megan. I like that she is left-handed.

ADVERTISEMENT