ADVERTISEMENT

The New WBB Recruiting Thread

Tania Davis was named Dream Team Player of the Year by the Flint Journal. In the article, Tania states her knee is fine (just a bruise) , that she was also playing at state with a hamstring strain that only allowed her to walk in practice, and that she will be coming to Iowa in June , after graduation.

Dream Team

Alexis Sevillian, Goodrich, junior guard
Sevillian
is already committed to the University of Iowa. She made the AP
All-State team for Class B. Her nightly averages were 16 points, 2.1
assists, 2.5 steals, and 3.2 rebounds per game. She shot 46 percent from
the field, 35 percent from the 3-point line, and 75 percent at the free
throw line as the perfect backcourt mate to Miss Basketball winner
Tania Davis.
"No way do we have the overall success we've had this
year without Lexi emerging as such a consistent and scary offensive
threat," Goodrich coach Jason Gray said. "She can shoot the three well
and gets to the basket, finishes strong and is an excellent free throw
shooter. She compliments Tania very well as a one-two punch."

Alexis also made the Dream Team.

Thx Oak.

Congrats to both girls.

Great to know that Tania is ok.

Also great to know that they play for the Goodrich Martians.

Badgers women's basketball: Minnesota prized prep recruit Courtney Fredrickson commits to UW

She had narrowed her choices to UW, Iowa and Missouri before making her final decision.

"I told coach Bobbie my goal is to start as a freshman. It's great to be at UConn or Notre Dame and be playing for the national championship, but I would like to be part of building up the program and not just be along for the ride."

This post was edited on 4/10 6:33 PM by cyberhawk

Originally posted by cyberhawk:
Badgers women's basketball: Minnesota prized prep recruit Courtney Fredrickson commits to UW

She had narrowed her choices to UW, Iowa and Missouri before making her final decision.

"I told coach Bobbie my goal is to start as a freshman. It's great to be at UConn or Notre Dame and be playing for the national championship, but I would like to be part of building up the program and not just be along for the ride."

Marble's daughter Roichelle from DM East redshirted at UW this past season.

Another huge blow to the Goofer women's program. Even though she dropped Minnesota as a possible destination some time ago, it has to hurt alot when she commits to an arch rival the same week that their All-American import from Stockholm declared she won't be back in Minneapolis next season, will be playing pro ball either with the WNBA in the USA or in Sweden

Doesn't impact the Hawkeyes much. Wisky needs alot more than just one very good undersized interior player; and she was not a priority for Iowa. Does anyone know if the offer to her was still out there. I believe that the Robbi Ryan of Cheyenne, WY is the priority for the last available schollie. And two years from now, there will only be Disterhoft & Kastanek schollies becoming available..

This post was edited on 4/10 7:05 PM by Tiggerhawk

M'caela Sellers Is One Of The TOP 2016's In The Midwest[/URL]

Iowa has 15 players currently committed to scholarship beginning in the fall of 2016 (including Hailey Scheden who may or may not be guaranteed for four years). Iowa is one of five official visits that Robbi/Robbie Ryan (2016 5'9" PG Sheridan, WY) has publicly stated she will take beginning this month (April). Iowa has also been mentioned as a possible interest of Jeannie Boehm (2016 6'3" F/C New Trier IL) and M'Caela Sellers would be a nice potential addition as well. Keep in mind though that unless any of these players were to accept a walk-on/gray-shirt offer, Iowa would need to remove someone who is currently committed to for the 2016-2017 season.

This post was edited on 4/16 8:40 PM by cyberhawk

M'caela Sellers Is One Of The TOP 2016's In The Midwest

Iowa has 15 players currently committed to scholarship beginning in the fall of 2016 (including Hailey Scheden who may or may not be guaranteed for four years). Iowa is one of five official visits that Robbi/Robbie Ryan (2016 5'9" PG Sheridan, WY) has publicly stated she will take beginning this month (April). Iowa has also been mentioned as a possible interest of Jeannie Boehm (2016 6'3" F/C New Trier IL) and M'Caela Sellers would be a nice potential addition as well. Keep in mind though that unless any of these players were to accept a walk-on/gray-shirt offer, Iowa would need to remove someone who is currently committed to for the 2016-2017 season.NO ONE is "guaranteed for four years". NCAA rules explicitly limit all athletic schollies to ONE year, renewable at the discretion of the school as long as the schollie limit for that sport is not exceeded. (Which is why sleazy coaches can "Crean" a player to use the schollie for a more promising recruit)

In regard to Hailey Schneden she came to Iowa as an invited walk-on. Bluder took advantage of the fact that her squad was under the limit and she had an indowed Schollie not being used, so she subesequently gave her a schollie for the remainder of her freshman year. Then after her freshman year, when the Hawkeyes were already under the limit and Thomas made a late decision to transfer out, Bluder ANNOUNCED that Schneden would be given a schollie again for her Sophomore year. (I emphasize announced because she was the only player to be given such mention. The usual practice is that if a student -athlete who signed a LOI and received a schollie prior to admission subsequently performs well as a student & conducts him/herself well as a citizen, and complies with team rules & acts positively as a team member than the renewal of his/her schollie is VIRTUALLY automatic to the point there is no reason for it to get public mention. Renewing a walk-on who has been given an open schollie for the year is another matter: the operative assumption is that such a schollie is "open" & can be given to another player. Bluder on paper still has two schollies available for next year, but since she has four promised for the following season, and only three graduating, she really only has one to offer, and that is intended to be used for a 5th recruit from the current HS junior class. Either way, there will be at least ONE open schollie, so it is a given that Bluder will offer it to Scheden for the coming season.

But unless Iowa fails to sign Ryan or Boehm of another prize recruit it is highly unlikely that Bluder will have an open schollie to give to Schneden for her senior year (though a transfer out, a medical disability, giving up hoops from disinterest, etc could provide one).

There would be no purpose in offering a walk-on role or a "greyshirt", ask a highly sought recruit to pass up numerous offers of a full schollie to spend $20,000 or $40,000 a semester or year lf her family's income for the promise of a schollie at Iowa. Not how the game is played. It is the woman (Schneden) who was NOT promised a schollie to come to Iowa who loses out...and it isn't that she is going to be treated shabilly: she came to Iowa expecting to pay the costs of her college education, and will get three years free.

Originally posted by Tiggerhawk:
NO ONE is "guaranteed for four years". NCAA rules explicitly limit all athletic schollies to ONE year, renewable at the discretion of the school as long as the schollie limit for that sport is not exceeded. (Which is why sleazy coaches can "Crean" a player to use the schollie for a more promising recruit)
all that typing and all you have done is prove that once again you have no idea what you are talking about.

Iowa had Courtney in for a visit on a football weekend, but after getting a verbal from Amanda Ollinger that scholarship was gone.

Big Ten has passed its own rule to guarantee student athletes 4-year scholarships. However I don't know when the rule will start to be implemented.

Iowa has 15 players currently committed to scholarship beginning in the fall of 2016 (including Hailey Scheden, whose scholarship may or may not be VIRTUALLY automatic for four years). Iowa is one of five official visits that Robbi/Robbie Ryan (2016 5'9" PG Sheridan, WY) has publicly stated she will take beginning this month (April). Iowa has also been mentioned as a possible interest of Jeannie Boehm (2016 6'3" F/C New Trier IL) and M'Caela Sellers would be a nice potential addition as well. Keep in mind though that unless any of these players were to accept a walk-on/gray-shirt offer, Iowa would need to remove someone who is currently committed to for the 2016-2017 season.
My apology to TiggerHawk. Your passion for the Iowa WBB program is unsurpassed by anyone on this forum. For that reason I have the utmost respect for you. Notice that I have corrected my comment to better reflect the scholarship situation.

Beyond the salient issue that TiggerHawk has addressed, the perhaps less conspicuous point here that I was trying to convey is the level that the WBB program has risen to, especially with respect to the recruiting. It seems that the Iowa coaches have a very real albeit wonderful problem with so much interest from so many high level recruits wanting (or at least considering) to come to Iowa. Courtney Fredrickson cited immediate playing time (she said her goal was to start as a freshman) as a major determining factor in choosing Wisconsin, yet she no doubt could have had a similar opportunity at Minnesota (they have lost at least half their roster from graduation and transfer) and yet she eliminated them from consideration earlier. She also had Iowa in her final three even though the chance to be a starter right away probably would have been less. The fact that her offer was 'pulled' (according to Oakhawk) is evidence that the coaches are being more selective with the 'last open scholarship'. Also. the fact that Robbi/Robbie has an official (paid for by Iowa) visit, indicates that she has a scholarship offer (or at least the staff is entertaining the idea of offering). So, the discussion I was hoping to catalyze is how will the coaches deal with this apparent 'abundance of riches' situation. Will Hailey lose her scholarship to one of these possible recruits? What are Iowa's chances with these three and does Iowa have a better chance with one or another of these recruits? Which of these recruits is a higher priority (fills a greater need)? I welcome and encourage comments or additional questions.

This post was edited on 4/14 4:16 PM by cyberhawk

I would not characterize the scholarship offer to Courtney as being "pulled". Just spoken for by someone else.

I don't believe Hailey's scholly will be there her senior year.

Whether it is the girl from Wyoming or a post player, Lisa will use the scholly if a really good player accepts.

Next year we will only have 1 true post player on the roster and she will be a freshman. Cooley is more of a skilled 4 player or a high post if you will While she played well on offense, she didn't have the strength to play the low post on defense.

Our roster looks very athletic the next 2 years but still looks to be a finese team.

Originally posted by oakhawk:
Nicole Smith SR 6-4 Center
Explain your mentioning Nicole. I would assume that if she comes back and I also assume she will, that she will not play. Do you have a different take?

Just adding her name as another center, as another poster above left her out. She is as healthy as she has been in awhile. But another player with injury problems in her past.

Oak,

I hope you are right.

Anything from Nicole would be a bonus. If she does play, it will be limited minutes. Her mobility just isn't there.

Iowa has 15 players currently committed to scholarship beginning in the fall of 2016 (including Hailey Scheden who may or may not be guaranteed for four years). Iowa is one of five official visits that Robbi/Robbie Ryan (2016 5'9" PG Sheridan, WY) has publicly stated she will take beginning this month (April). Iowa has also been mentioned as a possible interest of Jeannie Boehm (2016 6'3" F/C New Trier IL) and M'Caela Sellers would be a nice potential addition as well. Keep in mind though that unless any of these players were to accept a walk-on/gray-shirt offer, Iowa would need to remove someone who is currently committed to for the 2016-2017 season.

This post was edited on 4/16 8:40 PM by cyberhawk
This post was edited to correct the link

M'caela Sellers Is One Of The TOP 2016's In The Mi

Who we looking at the hardest on the Davenport North school? Will be taking my girls to see some games this coming season.

Two likely Division 1 prospects: Soph G 6-1 Jiyana Houston is one of the most prolific scorers in Iowa HS play; Frosh F 6-1 Paige Bradford is likely to be one for the next three years.

They likely will be joined this summer on same AAU team based in Cedar Rapids by the very highly touted incoming freshman at Moline HS. Name escapes my mind at the moment, something like Bass. 6-foot at age 13, gifted ball-handler, passer, jump shot has range.

Two likely Division 1 prospects: Soph G 6-1 Jiyana Houston is one of the most prolific scorers in Iowa HS play; Frosh F 6-1 Paige Bradford is likely to be one for the next three years.

They likely will be joined this summer on same AAU team based in Cedar Rapids by the very highly touted incoming freshman at Moline HS. Name escapes my mind at the moment, something like Bass. 6-foot at age 13, gifted ball-handler, passer, jump shot has range.

Slight interest in JC Stowers also, an off guard. I'm not convinced Bradford has what it takes at the B1G level. Just an opinion after watching a few games over the years. There is a little PG at West HS, Crislyn Carr that will be in the 18 class that I really like, but don't know how much interest there is. She reminds me of a smaller Mitchell at Ohio State. I won't be accurate but she had a 50+ game last year. And Stowers and Jinaya Houston both had a 40+ game last year as well, both sophs.

Last edited:
Reactions: remerson
Slight interest in JC Stowers also, an off guard. I'm not convinced Bradford has what it takes at the B1G level. Just an opinion after watching a few games over the years. There is a little PG at West HS, Crislyn Carr that will be in the 18 class that I really like, but don't know how much interest there is. She reminds me of a smaller Mitchell at Ohio State. I won't be accurate but she had a 50+ game last year. And Stowers and Jinaya Houston both had a 40+ game last year as well, both sophs.

http://www.qconline.com/sports/high...cle_d4fa181d-bdc4-5e7f-9ded-cb21924b56e4.html

The eighth grader is Brea Beal.

The sketchy thing is that OSU has Kelsey Mitchell recruiting her for them already. Kelsey is the girl whose father was hired as an assistant, and whose sister was also given a scholarship, to get her to commit to OSU.

Beal is the real deal. Talking to a few girls hoops people in the QC and they think she could be the best player ever out of the QC area. General feeling is she is UCONN good in terms of talent and skill set. Big question right now is where she ends up playing here high school ball at. Rock Island would be her natural school, but there are rumblings that she could end up at North with all those other talented young players or even Davenport Central, with rumors that her father, who played at UTEP, might be an assistant coach.

Beal is the real deal. Talking to a few girls hoops people in the QC and they think she could be the best player ever out of the QC area. General feeling is she is UCONN good in terms of talent and skill set. Big question right now is where she ends up playing here high school ball at. Rock Island would be her natural school, but there are rumblings that she could end up at North with all those other talented young players or even Davenport Central, with rumors that her father, who played at UTEP, might be an assistant coach.
Thanks for the info , Tom. The story seems to be taking an all too familiar turn.

2016 recruit Robbi Ryan verbally committed to Az State yesterday

Although there is no public knowledge that I am aware of that would indicate her interest in Iowa, I believe Jeannie Boehm would be a higher priority and fills a greater need for Iowa than Robbi Ryan. She matches up to Megan very closely. She could probably match up with Chase or Hannah in scrimmages as well.

Same old song and dance suits New Trier’s Jeannie Boehm just fine

GBKEVANS-EVA-020813-14_30985691.jpg

New Trier 6-3 junior Jeannie Boehm [pictured] is ranked one of the top forwards in the Class of 2016 by ESPNW and led the Trevians in points and rebounds last season.
| Chandler West/For the Sun-Times

Among her brothers, Connor plays at Dartmouth, Peter played at Harvard, Jack played baseball at Bucknell and Mike gave up sports when he arrived at Bucknell. But the best of the bunch could be her younger brother, Spencer, a 6-6 eighth-grader.

“She’s such an unselfish player,” coach Teri Rodgers said. “She’s the kind of kid who’s always trying to get better. She’s never satisfied. She’s always working hard, always wanting to improve her game. That’s such a great thing for everybody else to see. She doesn’t just rest on what she’s done in the past. She’s constantly striving to get better and she plays so hard. She’s a great example for everybody.

Boehm’s talent, work ethic and leadership have not gone unnoticed. She has college offers from across the country, including several from the Ivy League, where brothers Connor and Peter chose to play.

“There are definitely a lot of Ivy League schools on my list, but there are others, too,” she said. “I’ve narrowed it down significantly ever since September 1, when they could contact me. So the list is a lot shorter now. I’m still taking everything in and deciding."

Last edited:
Again, all schollies spoken for.
All scholarships aren't spoken for. Hailey Schneden started out as a walk-on & was awarded the 15th scholarship for the year since it wasn't spoken for. Due to her situation the scholarship isn't guaranteed & she is aware that if the staff finds a player that is a fit it will be offered to that player. This is why the staff is still actively recruiting & having players on campus they have offered.

Jockos is correct.

As for Boehm from New Trier- she will be a tough get. She is good enough and smart enough to get offers from programs like ND and Stanford.

There are a number of ways that Iowa could make room on it's roster for another 2016 recruit. While offering the scholarship now being used by Hailey to another 2016 recruit, which Iowa is doubtlessly considering and undoubtedly could do and is the most probable scenario, it is not the only possibility. Also, besides Jeannie, Iowa may still be interested in M'Caela Sellers, but with the arrival of Taygn Larson this fall and Amanda Ollinger already commited for 2016, M'Caela may be a lower priority. The main question is whether (or not) one of these two have Iowa as their top choice.

Jeannie Boehm

New Trier, F, Jr.
College: Undecided

New Trier's Jeannie Boehm makes All-Area Girls Basketball First Team

2014-15 stats: 15.9 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 2.2 apg

Most of the time, the 6-foot-3 Boehm was the best player on a Trevians team that finished third in Class 4A. Boehm was an efficient offensive player in the post, shooting 57 percent, and a defensive stopper on the other end, constantly creating problems for opposing players in the paint with her length and athleticism. Boehm earned first-team honors in Class 3A/4A from the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association.

Q: Have you narrowed down your list of colleges, and when do you expect to make a decision on where to play after New Trier?

A: A bunch of colleges watched me play this season: a few from the Ivy League, a bunch from the Big Ten and a handful from the ACC. I have a list, but I have not made it official. I will soon. I am definitely aiming to decide before the summer AAU season.

Q: Spencer is the youngest of six Boehm children. He plays basketball and will be a freshman at New Trier in 2015-16. What advice do you have for him when he enters high school?

A: He's 14 years old and 6-foot-6. He might be the best of all of us. The biggest thing for me growing up was just watching my older brothers play. I think I picked up a lot of things from them. I am not sure I can say anything to Spencer, except take it all in. He will be fine.

It was reported that Jeannie has narrowed her choices but did not reveal who was on her 'short-list'. Judging from the Ivy League offers, as well as an apparent mutual interest leads me to believe that academic considerations may be as great, if not a greater factor, as athletics in her decision. I think that Northwestern may have a good chance for her consideration just due to close proximity and highly respected academic programs. I do not have any idea if national athletic program status is important to her decision. She is probably good enough to at least be considered, if not offered, by any elite program including UConn as well as ND and Stanford.

Last edited:
There are a number of ways that Iowa could make room on it's roster for another 2016 recruit. While offering the scholarship now being used by Hailey to another 2016 recruit, which Iowa is likely considering and could undoubtedly do, it is not the only possibility. Also, besides Jeannie, Iowa may still be interested in M'Caela Sellers, but with the arrival of Taygn Larson this fall and Amanda Ollinger already commited for 2016, M'Caela may be a lower priority. The main question is whether (or not) one of these two have Iowa as their top choice.

Jeannie Boehm

New Trier, F, Jr.
College: Undecided

New Trier's Jeannie Boehm makes All-Area Girls Basketball First Team

2014-15 stats: 15.9 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 2.2 apg

Most of the time, the 6-foot-3 Boehm was the best player on a Trevians team that finished third in Class 4A. Boehm was an efficient offensive player in the post, shooting 57 percent, and a defensive stopper on the other end, constantly creating problems for opposing players in the paint with her length and athleticism. Boehm earned first-team honors in Class 3A/4A from the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association.

Q: Have you narrowed down your list of colleges, and when do you expect to make a decision on where to play after New Trier?

A: A bunch of colleges watched me play this season: a few from the Ivy League, a bunch from the Big Ten and a handful from the ACC. I have a list, but I have not made it official. I will soon. I am definitely aiming to decide before the summer AAU season.

Q: Spencer is the youngest of six Boehm children. He plays basketball and will be a freshman at New Trier in 2015-16. What advice do you have for him when he enters high school?

A: He's 14 years old and 6-foot-6. He might be the best of all of us. The biggest thing for me growing up was just watching my older brothers play. I think I picked up a lot of things from them. I am not sure I can say anything to Spencer, except take it all in. He will be fine.

It was reported that Jeannie has narrowed her choices but did not reveal who was on her 'short-list'. Judging from the Ivy League offers, as well as an apparent mutual interest leads me to believe that academic considerations may be as great, if not a greater factor, as athletics in her decision. I think that Northwestern may have a good chance for her consideration just due to close proximity and highly respected academic programs. I do not have any idea if national athletic program status is important to her decision. She is probably good enough to at least be considered, if not offered, by UConn.

It is AAU season......this weekend it was the Boo Williams Nike Invitational in Hampton Va.
Bre Cera is playing for Midwest Elite, the AAU program that gave us Sam Logic and Melissa Dixon.
Alexis Sevillian plays for Michigan Crossover.
Makenzie Meyer and Amanda Ollinger play for All Iowa Attack. Also on the same team are two 2017s, playing up a grade, Jinaya Houston of Davenport and Madison Treece of Columbia , Missouri. A couple of Hawkeye possible targets.

It is AAU season......this weekend it was the Boo Williams Nike Invitational in Hampton Va.
Bre Cera is playing for Midwest Elite, the AAU program that gave us Sam Logic and Melissa Dixon.
Alexis Sevillian plays for Michigan Crossover.
Makenzie Meyer and Amanda Ollinger play for All Iowa Attack. Also on the same team are two 2017s, playing up a grade, Jinaya Houston of Davenport and Madison Treece of Columbia , Missouri. A couple of Hawkeye possible targets.
Madison Treece is a 6-4 center. Four Star by ESPN.

ADVERTISEMENT