ADVERTISEMENT

The New WBB Recruiting Thread

She is young. she will be much better by the end of the year. She will have some good instructors. :)

Oakhawk,
Will Till's chronic knee problems prevent her from playing this year? TIA

At this point, I think Claire is doing well. Of course , it could change in an instant. I expect her to be her usual feisty self.

Ready to operate on the low block, but she can also hit the 15 footer.

Now that the [HS] class of 2015 is enrolled in classes, they are technically no longer recruits. However, Iowa has four verbal recruits for 2016 that are participating in summer AAU basketball. Also, there are a few other HS players (in 2016 and beyond) whose names have been mentioned here that could possibly be Iowa recruits. We should be able to keep this thread alive with all those recruits. For example, I believe All Iowa Attack (Makenzie Meyer, Amanda Ollinger, Madison Treece, Jinaya Houston and Ashley Joens) had a tournament this weekend and have a number of other tournaments in June and July. Also, Alexis Sevillian and Destiny Pitts (Michigan Crossover), Breanna Cera and Sydney Cooks (Midwest Elite) and M'Caela Sellers (North Tartan) are competing in AAU tournaments. It is difficult for me to find any results of these games on the 'net'. Does anyone know how any of the recruits are doing? Thanks in advance for everyone's contributions.

Last edited:
Joens is not playing this summer. Tore her ACL during the season, had surgery this spring. The rest of the team played this weekend in the North Tartan tournament in Bloomingto.

Courtney Jones (Illinois recruit) was injured. Ashley , her FR sister, played in GTL last season.

I am confused because I had originally thought it was Ashley who was listed on the 15U squad and also playing up on the 16U team but as you can see on the AIA link below, the 16U roster lists Courtney.

All Iowa Attack
11th Grade Girls
16U Nike
Roster & Tournament schedule

Midwest Elite, aau program for Bre Cera and Sydney Cooks, has taken the month of June off for the Illinois high school summer League and the high school practices that the Illinois girls have almost every day of the week. I was told Bre is working out a lot and playing summer League twice a week for her high school in Mukwonago.

Tom mentioned that today was the first day that college coaches could directly call prospects in the 2017 class. So, I'm sure calls were going out.

Maybe for the guys...girls are September 1st of Junior year for direct calls I believe.

Looks like last year the contact period started on September 9th for WBB. I assumed they were the same, but they are not.

Contact. Any face-to-face encounter between a PSA (or their relatives/legal guardians) and an institutional staff member or athletics representative during which any dialogue occurs in excess of an exchange of a greeting. Additionally, any prearranged encounter that occurs on the grounds of the PSA's educational institution or the site of organized competition or practice involving PSAs shall be considered contact regardless of whether any conversation occurs. If a staff member is approached by a PSA (or their relatives/legal guardians) at a location not pre-arranged and the dialogue does not exceed a greeting (and the staff member takes steps to terminate the encounter swiftly) it does not count as a contact.

Looks like last year the contact period started on September 9th for WBB. I assumed they were the same, but they are not.

Contact. Any face-to-face encounter between a PSA (or their relatives/legal guardians) and an institutional staff member or athletics representative during which any dialogue occurs in excess of an exchange of a greeting. Additionally, any prearranged encounter that occurs on the grounds of the PSA's educational institution or the site of organized competition or practice involving PSAs shall be considered contact regardless of whether any conversation occurs. If a staff member is approached by a PSA (or their relatives/legal guardians) at a location not pre-arranged and the dialogue does not exceed a greeting (and the staff member takes steps to terminate the encounter swiftly) it does not count as a contact.
I thought it was the same but I was told today, second hand from one of the Wake Forest coaches, that they can't start contacting until September 1.

Also know Sydney Cooks down at Note Dame camp today! Bre Cera still playing summer League with hs two times per week and working with her trainer 2-3 times per week. Her dad tells me she works out 6x a week to stay as sharp as possible till July!

Bre seems determined to be the best she can be. Always seems to be working. And puts in the effort on the court.

It doesn't seem very likely that Sydney Cooks will become a Hawkeye since she is camping at Notre Dame where Midwest Elite 2016 teammate Arike Ogunbawale is already committed.

Sidney also plays with Bre Cera on Midwest Elite. It will depend on who else ND is after at her position.

S
Some profiles from the Midwest Girls Classic by 5 States Hoops...

Ashley Joens, All Iowa Attack 10th Nike

5'9" 2018 Guard/Iowa City High H.S. (IA)

-Sometimes players are what I refer to as "professional scorers", players that just have a knack for finding ways to score, in a variety of ways, throughout every game, and Joens is in that mold. Joens is able to maintain great spacing on drives and keeps herself square on her attacks. Also has a very sound shooting touch, not just from the arc, but in the mid-range game, where she can shoot off screens, off pull-up jumpers and stationary looks.
Makenzie Meyer, All Iowa Attack 11th Nike

5'10" 2016 Point Guard/Mason City H.S. (IA)

-It took Meyer a whole week to get back on this list. The Iowa Hawkeye verbal is the consummate point guard who blends the offense, using her post players, locating shooters and picking her spots to be a scorer. Good size from the point, Meyer values the ball and always has her head on a swivel, constantly surveying the defense in the half court or transition games. Great addition down the road for Iowa.
Madison Treece, All Iowa Attack 11th Nike

6'4" 2017 Post/Rock Bridge H.S. (MO)

-Treece is at or near the top regionally not only among 2017 posts, but all 2017 players. Anchors down a defense, owns back-side rebounds and discourages opponents from attacking the rim. She has been extending her range. Already a gifted scorer on the low block, Treece has a nice mid-range touch and has been expanding her game (and college versatility) by being able to flash out and hit the three.

One more....
Jinaya Houston, All Iowa Attack 11th Nike

6'1" 2017 Guard/Davenport North H.S. (IA)

-Already on the radar of many Mid to High Major programs, Houston is blessed with tremendous perimeter skills, including the ability to score as a dual threat with her jumper and off the bounce. Her size and athletic ability make her a tough match, as she can rise up over smaller players, but uses a quick first step and upper body strength to get into the paint against physical wings. Very efficient scorer.

It's been slow slow slow here lately on recruiting. Hopefully we get some good news soon.

Thank you Jockos for the comment and link. Actually one could argue that there is a relationship between recruiting and attendance. All other things being equal, most, it not all, recruits would say they would rather play in front of more fans rather than less fans.

I have been encouraging everyone to go to the games and take your friends, neighbors, coworkers and families and to promote the WBB to your fellow students. Looking at the chart, if Iowa could increase their attendance by at least 20% (about 1100-1200) to around 6400-6500, Iowa could jump from fourteenth to seventh in the nation. I would like to see Iowa have at least 6000 for every non-conference game, at least 7000 for B1G games and fill CHA to the curtain for games against ranked opponents and rival games.

I know some people say that the women are boring to watch, but that does not explain why some schools can average more than 10,000 fans per game. Nebraska, Michigan St, and Purdue average around 6,000 and they are no more exciting to watch than Iowa (or Maryland either for that matter). If they can draw 6,000/plus fans per game, then why not Iowa. Is Iowa St more exciting to watch than Iowa? They are fourth in the nation in average attendance with more than 9,000 fans per game. They average almost 4000 more fans per game than Iowa. Why? There has to be some reason other than the women's game is just plain boring to watch. The Iowa St fans like to boast that they have much better fan support for their women than Iowa. I think it is time for the fans (especially students) of U of I to take more pride in the WBB. Let's give our WBB the support they deserve. Join the bandwagon and make Iowa number seven in the nation! Go Hawks!

Rk School Games Attendance Average

1. South Carolina 16 196,684 12,293
2. Tennessee 18 186,754 10,375
3. Louisville 17 161,754 9,515
4. Iowa St. 17 157,916 9,289
5. Notre Dame 20 170,882 8,544
6. UConn 15 123,247 8,216
7. Kentucky 17 108,436 6,379
8. Baylor 19 120,484 6,341
9. Purdue 16 100,458 6,279
10. Michigan St. 16 97,906 6,119
11. Nebraska 16 93,707 5,857
12. Oklahoma 13 69,852 5,373
13. Gonzaga 14 75,127 5,366
14. Iowa 18 95,417 5,301
15. Maryland 17 89,016 5,236
16. New Mexico 17 87,849 5,168
17. Texas A&M 15 75,511 5,034
18. Penn St. 16 77,727 4,858
19. Ohio St. 17 81,250 4,779
20. Duke 18 82,615 4,590

Last edited:

"Spoke to a couple of the coaches this week about some potential recruits..." non-poster

"... I expect the coaches to continue to recruit a 5 for 2016." 91hawki

There are a couple of players from the class of 2016 whose names have been mentioned (aside from the scholarship dispute) in these forums as possible Iowa recruits and who have not yet committed. One, M'Caela Sellers, is a prototypical Iowa wing, and has been mentioned quite frequently. While she no doubt is talented enough to play for Iowa, Iowa has many options at her position. Furthermore, for all we know, she may not want to play for Iowa. The second player that had been mentioned is Tori McCoy. Not much has been written here about her but she is a very highly regarded 6'4" center from Illinois and is considered a 'game changer'. I recently came across the following EspnW article about her which mentions that she will wait until next spring to make her choice. What is not mentioned (nor have I seen anywhere), is who she is considering. She is a very interesting prospect and I think it would be great if Iowa could get her.

MEET THE SCARY GOOD BASKETBALL PROSPECT WITH A CHEERY DISPOSITION

Reactions: BDinIC
Kat Tudor is still out there.

This is from another B1G school forum...

"Kat Tudor's list of schools has been narrowed to five and it doesn't include the [redacted]. It's Cal, Georgia, Gonzaga, Oregon State and Utah."

ADVERTISEMENT